The XBOX One

While I love all the other Platinum games I’ve played (Bayonetta 1 & 2, Wonderful 101, Transformers: Devastation), I pretty much hate Neir Automata. I’ve tried several times to get into it since picking up a couple years ago on the day it hit Xbox One, I’m just not digging it. I reaching two or three endings (one was a very, very quick ending of some sort), and I know I probably never reaching the ‘real’ one, but it just wasn’t worth it to me to keep pushing through.

I know it has a huge following, and I’m glad more people will get a chance to play a revered Platinum game, but I’m jealous and resentful of the people who can enjoy this one.

Love 2B’s outfit and skirt though, wheeeeeew. And the nude Cosplays, wowzers.

I downloaded this on my Xbox 1 last month, since I own it and it’s backward compatible. I really tried to get into it. I played it for an hour or two. It’s just sooooo cheesy. It’s got no story hooks for me at all. And then the gameplay just seems like a whole lot of frantic button pressing that I had a hard time getting a handle on.

I prefer Bayonetta 2’s dialogue and story, but I have no idea what the consensus is overall. And yes, the game can feel extremely button-mashy (and even lead to some success if played that way), but it really shines if you’re the type that enjoys mastering combos and maximizing your score and Platinum ratings.

Oh yea, and I only like Bayonetta 1 about half as much as Bayonetta 2, mostly because of the dialogue and art upgrades. 1 is a little too Xboxy for me, in that it’s a lot browner. Still like it though (well, everything but boss fights, but I hate all boss fights in games.)

This is me.

You guys killing my vibe. I was so excited for a new genre of camgirl content once i understood Nier Automata, and you’re saying it’s bad?

No no, I’m hoping Nier Automata is the best game I will have ever played. I’m just not a fan of the studio’s other work. Hopefully this time they got everything just right.

No, I’m saying I don’t like it. It’s got a huge following, and people love it. But it doesn’t click for me. I am in the minority.

As for button-mashyness, it’s less button mashy than other Platinum games (like Bayonetta), because the combat is more straightforward and less reliant on chains and chains of combos to do well (scorewise).

Damn, once again right after I buy it.

It was on sale a month or so ago for like $15-20 or something. I almost bit given the positive buzz, but held off. Score!

As for Vampyre I actually heard it was leaving a few weeks back and fired it up. Got a little way in and realized there was going to be a lot of crafting/searching crates for supplies nonsense and noped right out. I can play a game that is built on that- No Man’s Sky, for example. But a story-and-character-driven thing where I have to spend my time scavenging for things to craft other things to make this npc like me more? Nah.

It’s definitely less button mashy than their other games and, so far, less over the top. I’m not a huge fan of that type of combat unless it IS over the top, but in this case it’s fun enough for experiencing the story which is intriguing.

But I agree it’s been overhyped. I was expecting something magical and got something that is just ok. Reminds me of The Outer Worlds except that one wasn’t put on a pedestal whereas Nier Automata was on several websites’ greatest games of all time and I can’t see why.

I really loved it when I played it on PS4 a couple years ago.

One thing - keep playing after the first ending. When people talk about playing multiple times to see different endings you’re not actually playing the same exact game multiple times. It’s worth doing so and it’s the “real way” to play it.

I was so disappointed with this game. I think it was because I was so hyped to install it. I thought I was getting a mass effect like experience, instead I got a garbage shooter with a bunch of character skills that didn’t do anything.

From that article

Ha! I had forgotten about that. That’s right, you couldn’t chat with 360 players on Live if you were on Xbox One. I hadn’t forgotten about not having access to your 360 library of games. That part really sucked. As did the interface being a big step backwards. They didn’t add a lot of 360 dashboard functionality for years afterward.

I guess this is one of those things that probably only interests me, but earlier today I got a message from Xbox Live on my console:

But that’s not right, right? Everywhere else, including an email I got today from Xbox, says the last 360 Game with Gold for April is Toybox Turbos, not Blinx: The Time Sweeper. Anyway, a minor item, just slightly interesting I guess.

It’s working now, thanks. Man, haven’y seen you in forever!

Appears there was a last-second swap-out.

I liked Blinx back in the day, no idea if I’ll ever revisit it.

Cool, I sorta wanted Blinx.

Toybox Turbos is not bad, but it only costs fifty centzs on PC. I’ll post about it next time on the bargain thread if anyone wanted that.

Big spring sale just started. PvZ Neighbourville is a new 75% off. Fun game - I’d have bit on that if I didn’t just finish the main content on EA Access. It does that grindy (but free) battle pass stuff.

Thanks. I didn’t make it that far, I’ll pass too for now then.

That article reads a bit strangely to me, they’re basing it on the message from Xbox that I got, but isn’t it just as likely that’s a mistake too? Maybe Blinx is a May GwG and they goofed?

I just checked the official stuff and it’s still showing Toybox Turbos.

There is another GWG for Japan-region this month: Asdivine Hearts 2. Kemco RPG.

https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/p/アスディバインハーツii/9n25hh4jn0lc

Free weekend:

• Elder Scrolls Online. Also on gamepass
  • Monster Supercross 3
  • Wwf 2k20. This is the one that people piled on for graphics

Free 3 weeks:

• Starlink (Ubi toy game)

If anyone misses Cities Skylines from gamepass it’s a much better deal on xbox than everywhere else. Same bundle is a whopping 134$ CDN on PS4. This includes the two season passes:

I just bought that for the dlc with my bing points even though I have it on Steam and it does have Industries and Synthetic Radio, which are not on the xbox page. Does not include Campus, Sunset Harbor or the Content Creator buildings.

There’s also a bonus 500 points in the Xbox Rewards app for earning an achievement in Gears 5.