The Youtube Game Apocalypse

This is becoming kind of a big deal:

What’s happening is that in the last few years Youtube has exploded as a wonderful medium for game coverage. Plenty of non-professional gamers stream and record game session, they review games, make interviews and so on. And end up making enough money to turn professional and do this as an actual job.

These days dudes such Angry Joe or Total Biscuit CAN move large amount of sales and have a HUGE following because the userbase trusts them.

For me the interesting part is that THIS is especially the evolution of the kind of scene I was participating in from 2004 onward. Having a blog and putting many hours writing down, gathering news, analyzing game design, criticize, propose and so on (I did it full time, but for free). I did all that specifically about MMORPGs and this kind of scene was almost completely ignored by actual game developers, instead of being used as a precious resource. The sorry state of the MMO industry today is due in large part to the blindness of that part of the industry itself since they pissed all over the strong community that was developing at the time.

Now these dudes are doing the same thing, but with more powerful tools. Instead of an unwelcoming wall of text they have videos. They can show right away gameplay and comment on it. Point out flaws and qualities, show what is broken and how to fix it. Guys like Angry Joe and TotalBiscuit not only make damn good and honest reviews, but they do GET game design and understand very well what does and doesn’t work in a game, and why. They do the stuff I was doing, only immensely better, in part because they have more powerful tools in their hands.

This doesn’t have an effect on the userbase, simply. But it is pushing the whole game industry to a new level. Games are being discussed actively, become mainstream. The amount of opinions they produce is something that bleeds out to every game community, to Reddit, to Neogaf and so on. The more the “game genre” becomes “big” the more it evolves and develops. The more people that talk together about all this, the more it becomes “serious”, and not just something that is understood by a small minority of dedicated fans, who “care”.

And yet it’s all flawed when it all depends on one great overlord, in this case Youtube/Google. What happened in these last few days is that Youtube flipped a switch and started matching all sort of content and flag it as copyrighted material. The most affected are, obviously, let’s play videos. Since there’s the idea that footage you have of yourself playing a game still actually belongs to the original developer (which is symptomatic of the trend of interactive cutscenes, instead of actual “games”). But then it also bled out toward EVERYTHING. You make a game review, and it gets flagged as copyrighted material, because the automatic content match found a song playing in the background, or recognized a chunk of copyrighted game trailer. There was a gameplay video from Kingdoms of Amalur, a company that no longer exists, taken down because it matched the song playing during a boss fight. Angry Joe went personally to E3 to make interviews directly with developers, microphone in the hand, interviews taken down for copyright claims again. Consider that NONE OF THIS is the result of an actual deliberate action. It’s simply an automated system with no control whatsoever. If you get one video flagged you can do nothing beside filing a counter claim that Youtube passes to the company that made the claim. If no one is at the other end, the thing goes completely ignored and you lose your content. Which means the system is being actively abused to flag EVERYTHING. There are unknown companies claiming rights to stuff they don’t own and so on. There was even the example of Viacom taking down their own channel because it went through an affiliate that wasn’t recognized.

So in the end there are only lawyers and big corporations left. This isn’t AT ALL about piracy. Piracy is just the excuse for the witch hunt and scattershot strategy. You are always GUILTY, until you prove you aren’t. We are talking about game reviews and “let’s play”, whose only result is produce MORE SALES, MORE PUBLICITY, MORE AWARENESS. Growing the game community as it never grew before. I bought countless games thanks to this, sitting in my Steam list. Steam’s expansion can thank these guys if it’s as big as it is now. There were smaller companies taking down video reviews with bullshit copyright claims simply because the review happened to be negative. Basically, Google in order to please the advertisers has built a system that is being actively abused by the same advertisers, and this is hurting directly EVERYONE involved. And there’s no way to solve any of this because money makes the rules, and those with money and power are usually complete idiots, and, when it comes about games, those that manage the money and lawyers know jack shit about games.

More coverage:

For the record:

There was a gameplay video from Kingdoms of Amalur, a company that no longer exists, taken down because it matched the song playing during a boss fight.

I hate to be nitpicky and don’t want to detract from your overall post, because this is a big issue, but this sentence is a bit of a non-sequitur. 38 Studios may no longer exist, but the IP rights to Kingdoms of Amalur do. In fact, they were sold just yesterday.

Yeah, there were lots of examples about THQ too.

The point stands: the actual game makers are there no longer and no longer see any of that money. It goes to the lawyers. Whose only source of income is to make this world a worse one and hamper good development.

Fire all lawyers and hire some actual game developers. Or maybe you really believe that a gameplay video with its background song is rightly copyrighted material, and so being shown it actually damages the product?

Last in: EU4 release trailer taken down in Paradox own Youtube channel.

So, is everyone going to move to Twitch?

I would expect content creators using a completely free service to host their videos that they derive their income from to have some kind of “backup plan” when those content creators pull the rug out of them.

Do people like TotalBiscuit sign a contract/agreement with youtube that somehow specifies that youtube will always be around for them to use? Or that youtube will only change things with their agreement, etc?

I don’t see how Twitch is a viable option. Twitch is a live-streaming site and I’d bet the majority of these successful channels do post-production. Not to mention their VOD system is shoddy, at best.

At least this has driven a number of companies to publish their rules for using their content and are supporting the content creators. HiRez and Unknown Worlds for example are both giving full support for people to make content and are ok with the creators making money from them.

This would probably be a good place to have a conversation about fair use, and whether or not Let’s Play videos are transformative works.

There are 2 different things going on, and things like lets plays, in game footage etc in my mind don’t really violate any copywright laws, because the viewer is not really consuming /enjoying a game, the way you would say…music. If anything it could be argued that’s it free promotion from your user base. I can see where you would get into some sticky problems depending on what type of licensing deal whoever did the soundtrack has, but I can’t imagine many if any of those actually get performance royalties. My contact with that side of things is you get a one time fee and they can do what they want with it. In the case of a song that’s already released prior to being used in game, that’s a whole nother can of worms. You get into mechanicals and all other forms of complicated and litigious malarkey.

As someone who can go on Youtube, and download/listen to every single piece of music I’ve ever released or worked on (which is the bulk of my lifes work), I have to say I have a pretty big sore spot concerning this issue. I don’t think things like lets plays can be viewed in the same way a piece of music can though, because listening to music is the entire available experience. Watching someone else play a video game, does not equal actually playing it yourself.

Not sure how this will all shake out, but I can tell you as someone who has had their income severely crippled by the digital genie being released from the bottle, I find myself torn between two concerns. I love having access to lets plays etc, because it gives me a really great idea if I should buy something or not. It’s also a great way to learn things about something you already own and love. The real problem is, how do you stop every intellectual property from just ending up as pirated?

That was a comic related to instagram, Josh. Your analogy fails as far as Youtube is concerned.

People show up at Chad’s Garage and hand him money to look at the stuff you left on his shelves. They hand it over by the wheelbarrow-full.

I’m not paying anything to watch youtube videos. You’re getting ripped off if you are. ;)

It’s more like: Chad installed a giant pressure switch which drives some turbines and he’s basically getting his electricity bill for free from all of the people walking around on top of it, wanting to look at Dude’s stuff. But who cares about that? Unless Dude explicitly has a deal with Chad to get a cut of the profits, it’s his own fault. Same with youtube. If views on their videos are so essential to their lives, then these content creators should really host mirrors of their videos elsewhere on ad-laden pages, with a link to that page in the youtube description. How many bother doing that?

Either:

1. You’ve sorted out a way to never have to sit through “Skip Ad” or 15-second ads on youtube, in which case, share, or

2. You’re not actually grasping how advertising works.

The point being this: The stuff that Chad lets people store in his garage generates massive income for Chad, far in excess of the costs Chad incurs to enlarge and increase access to his garage.

Sharing: I never ever have to sit through an Ad on youtube, and I don’t have to Skip Ad. Just use Adblocker for your browser of choice and its gone.

Except that isn’t really what this is about. People are having interviews taken down they did with developers, reviews with gameplay footage, etc.

It’s not totally irrelevant though.

The stuff with YouTube and its automated content blocking systems has been problematic for a while, it’s not new with the gaming videos, they’re just big enough now that they’re being vocal about it too. It is maddening and frustrating to see its abuses, both when it’s apparently intentional, and when it’s apparently accidental but no less difficult to resolve.

But it also is still the cost of using YouTube. I’m not saying people shouldn’t be vocal about its problems and try to work to change/improve the situation, but sometimes these discussions do veer off into the sort of entitled attitude the xkcd strip is mocking.

The situation is more nuanced than a single cartoon, but I think we all know that, and given that, I’d say it totally applies here.

It’s about both, as broadly as the topic started. There are valid discussions to have about the fair use side of things, and there are valid discussions to have about the crazy automated systems YouTube has in place for protesting/blocking/removing protected IP and all the ways they fail.

A short video (~5-20 minutes) that shows off core gameplay and maybe a set piece or two is completely fine, and is generally perfect for seeing if you’d enjoy a game or not; it serves about the same purpose as a traditional demo would, except without the interactivity. Same goes for, say, multiplayer match videos, or interviews that use some gameplay footage. These should all be covered under fair use, the same way a movie review that uses snippets of footage would be.

A Let’s Play is completely different from this. A video series showing someone playing through an entire game should absolutely not be covered by fair use; the people who think otherwise tend to be the ones who make said video series and the ones who do treat said video series the same way people treat entire albums or movies posted on YouTube. There was some good discussion of this a while back in the games journalism thread, starting here.

If you’ve posted a video that has gotten 100,000 or 1,000,000 hits, Google has made far more money off that than the creator has. I fail to see where the entitled part comes in.

The problem is, to this day that Google largely remains a faceless company and their customer support is non-existant. This leaves users of their products no other option than to rage on the internet and hope that it gathers enough public attention.