Thea 2: The Shattering

I noticed the additional portraits right away. I still think they could use more. I don’t see as many repeats in SP but in MP, it’s noticeable.

30 new events is harder to notice, not because they are there but because of the nature of events. I could do the same event and get similar results and then on the 7th attempt, suddenly there are new options or it veers a different way, and I won’t know if that’s because of my party make-up, something I did early with another challenge/event or if it is literally new.

During beta, I did complain about the lack of events or the repeat events or how there were not real options. I don’t have that complaint any longer. Lack of content is not an issue with the game, especially if they keep doing what they’re doing, adding more. What’s going to turn people off is going to be something like like the mechanics of the game, like not enjoying the combat, or the random nature of some of the results, or the fact it really is designed to push and push and push until you can’t push anymore and then you go back and use your God Points… stuff like that. Just having an elf in my party early on change results for some event which I just… love. My sister has a dwarf, same thing. I now have a demon, more options there.

I am getting close, again, to where I think I might be able to get a Volh, so I am going to try hard for that.

The only downside I’ve seen from the update/DLC is the game is more unstable for MP. I don’t have that issues with SP at all.

I’m playing AOW: Planetfall this week, and while I’m enjoying it, I sure miss the way Thea 2 handles auto-resolve. So smart. I personally also like the card-game combat in Thea 2. The new system is still a little mysterious to me, but I’m gradually figuring it out.

Thea 2 is a keeper! A rich, fun game.

https://www.gog.com/game/thea_2_the_shattering?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20190816_nl_weekend_sale_EN&utm_term=EN&track_click=1&link_id=thea_2_the_shattering_game#xsid=a62e_X6bw

I can’t get GOG to actually pull to QT3, but it is currently 20% off there for those who prefere the no DRM version, so 19.99.

My group is currently a 2 Steam and 1 GOG combo. The GOG version had an issue with version once… that last 2-3 updates, it has not, so they might have fixed that lag problem for GOG.

For someone who doesn’t have Thea 1, would you say it is better to get Thea 2 instead, or is Thea 1 still worth getting?

I really enjoyed Thea 1. For me, 2 is not at all an improvement. Some things have been developed further, particularly events. But honestly, I do not think it is a better game (unless multiplayer is your thing). Really, I would recommend 1.

I feel like Thea 1 is a good intro to the series; it is something you can come to from Civ or MoM and still make sense of. It has clever mechanics and clever story bits, isn’t too long or too hard or too easy, and is just a fun self contained experience.

I’m dipping my toes into Thea 2 now, and to be honest it’s kind of confusing. The battles are weird, it’s not entirely clear what you should be doing on the overland map, and I don’t feel like I have much control over the paths my villagers are developing on.

I play primarily MP and also SP these days. I did the same with Thea 1.

Thea 1 is a lot more straight forward. The story is interesting because the world they created is interesting. The journey changes a bit based on characters in the group and the god, but by and large the overarching theme remains. This isn’t a bad thing. I “beat” it multiple times and never got bored. It’s like Civ to me, you play it over and over again, enjoying the journey, and that journey can mostly stay fresh due to events and changes. Thea 1 combat is also straight forward which is something some people liked and some hated. It’s basically stacking cards in a way that lets you win and hopefully keeps everyone alive. Thea 1 also works very well for MP; there are just some limitations here, like 2 players, because the game wasn’t designed for it. I have seen many games designed for MP that didn’t get it this right though. It’s a coop experience not some stupid tacked on vs. mode.

Thea 2

Thea 2 is not as straight forward. You feel that immediately with the combat. It’s a large learning curve, probably more so for Thea 1 people going into it that someone fresh of the street. My first response to the combat was way back when they released the demo and I said to my sister, I don’t know what the hell I am doing but somehow I won. Now… I gave my group tips, and in joined battles we learned how each other uses various characters… we often beat the auto resolve results as a result. It’s all about skills, what they can do and also doing it in the right order which often means being ahead of your enemies in turn order… but not for skills like poison. Autoresolve is still used a lot because it saves time and what better way to solve the level 1 rat problem for high-level group than a one click get through it… still want them though because even low level stuff is worth while… for like forever.

The story in Thea 2 is slower, and it seems that way by designed. I haven’t finished any game yet because MP is heck slow and we had a hard reset longer, but my understanding is it’s tied up in these islands, and it takes a while to get to these islands and so on. The story builds on Thea 1, makes more sense if you know Thea 1 but t the same time you can get a summary of Thea 1’s story and do just fine.

Thea 2 events have more chance in it. I am not sure Thea 1 had much of a chance like this at all. I am talking about kids growing up, how events end, just getting a chance at some things. There seems to be improvements in chance for Thea 2 so you are more likely to get a good or the best result but still chance. Thea 1… I played the game so much that I was like I will talk to him, and then do this and then get this outcome and sometimes I would encounter something new entirely because now i have a dwarf or such and such and that was still cool generally I always got that elf at the end if I did it “right”. We’ve tested some events with restarts as have other players… some events are just a 1 in 30 chance in the best scenario. This not a bad thing though. It does make for a different experience, but it’s just umm, it’s different when you can’t rely on this particular encounter producing a great result, so your efforts change.

I think the chance element, even in the best circumstances, might turn some Thea 1 players off because that is not what happened in the first game. They managed to make challenges/encounters exciting while still maintaining some predictability. The predictability isn’t as set in 2.

Long story long, I think both games are great. Thea 1 probably seems like an natural start but only because it’s very different from what it started to be, a no save rogue like game without the hardest part of the game, the Giants DLC.

There are a couple of reasons I would suggest someone skip Thea 1:
Some people really, really hated Thea’s card stacking combat, and it’s different in 2 but also complicated.
Thea 2 just has so much…more. Is it overwhelming, maybe.

They both have demos though. Since I beta’d Thea 2, the only demo I ever played was basically a Kickstarter thing for the combat. I will freely admit, again, I was completely lost over what was going on the first few times. Then it… clicked.

Thanks very much for the info re Thea 1 and 2, that is very helpful. I think I will start with Thea 1, especially since it is cheaper.

I think Thea 1 is the better game, by a very big margin. Not to say 2 is terrible, its not, but it lacks the charm of the first one. Plus I cant stand the island system of 2, and it seems kind of pointless to have a settlement, other than a place to dump off some things once you have reached your weight limit. Too many things in thea 2 come off as pointless (lower level crafting, settlement system, research to name a few).

I you don’t use the research system, how do you craft or get the better gear or even level up the lower tiered resource items?

I use the research system, I meant when you research for a few turns things like buffs vs the spiders and such. Doesn’t seem worth it for the time taken, though I don’t think I’ve gotten past turn 150 or so.

Thanks all, I tried Thea 1’s demo this morning, my expedition got wiped out, and then I bought Thea 1 on Gog. Game looks very intriguing.

I think you might be referring to when you research the Terrain and Creatures then…, like when you get Research Material… like the Alpha wolf, or something like that?

Yes, exactly. Sorry for the poor verbiage, I didn’t boot up the game to double check.

I suspect for anyone not playing Thea, especially Thea 2, this lingo makes little sense. I’ve been playing these games for hundreds of hours each, and I still can’t remember the exact wording sometimes.

That research though is more than useful for just extra points, which is super useful because you need a lot of points for the higher tiered resources and anything with the settlements.

I am not a huge fan of the way Steam store Change Logs but I could’ve sword the auto-resolve was affected by creatures researched, like you do better with auto-resolve against the creatures you research. I only use Auto-resolve again groups I am familiar with (read multiple encounters with current group), and that have perfect results to speed up play, mostly MP. I often, not always, do better than auto-resolve, especially prior to research.

Whelp I finally finished a game, the Divine Quest and the main quest. I never got more than 9 people which seems… nuts. I have no idea how I would do a village with that so I got an achievement too.

I blurred this in case you want to be surprised about unlocking some gods and that specific achievement.

I’d say I turtled this game but the truth is, I just completely lost track of the main story. I couldn’t figure out where the better options were so… I took a good but not great ending because well my goddess was mostly good anyway. Also, elves are so completely amazing.

Grats on finishing! I didn’t read your blurred-out commentary because I want to find things for myself. I still haven’t finished a game yet!

So I finished my Divine Quest in our MP game on… accident. Here’s what happened:

So in order to continue the Divine Quest off the Starter island, you have to get to the right Island and it continues again. My goddess’ quest is on the hardest freaking island in the game, Elven. I mean even as super powered as I was at the end those challenges kill me. So being the daredevil that I am, running around with a measly 5 people while my other cohorts have 9 and 12, I went to Elven island to check it out while they were still building their boats for Goblin island. I saw some spices and fish, dropped down to get some food for my journey back and bam, it hit… and i won the challenge finish my Divine quest, getting those bonuses AND i triggered the new God opening for them too. So we learned last night that one person completely their Divine question opens up that locked god for everyone.

Also they got mad at me because they thought I was tempting fate over there without them. I was on the tip of the island expecting to flee at a moment’s notice. Only a medium or higher red challenge could get me because I have no people and no warrior to take hits. My elf, well she can’t take everything. Also my entire party started as women. This shouldn’t stop from finding children but yeah… gonna not do well on these other islands alone with only five. I finished solo with at least 9!

If I haven’t played Thea yet, should I just go straight for the sequel or start with the first?

I am not sure if you got to read this or not but you get a bit of my take on the two in that longer piece.

I really liked both games. I frequently think back to Thea 1 while playing 2 based to the ties between the two, but it’s not a requirement. 1 can also be purchased very cheap… often.