Theatrical Film Releases that don't need their own thread

Burning seconded

Since my friend and I couldn’t go to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this morning (too late, already left theaters in this area), we went to see a movie called Good Boys. It’s definitely no Superbad, so don’t get your hopes up, but it has several parts that were really funny, and I wished I was in a theater with more people because even though the 20 or so people in there were laughing along with us, it wasn’t the critical mass you need for a transcendent experience. :)

Honestly, since I go to the movies so few times, I usually stick to big action movies, so it’s been a long time since I saw a comedy in a theater, and being in an audience that’s all laughing is a pretty good feeling, which is why I wish we had more people there with us.

The kid actors in this movie did a fairly good job, the movie is not going to be a classic though, because these kids are not as good as the ones in Superbad.

Apparently this is playing in select cities on the 6th and maybe more later. If it’s anywhere near as good as the book, well, you will be amazed, saddened, sickened and then uplifted by what Dr. Steve Olvey and Dr. Terry Trammell did for motorsports (specifically IndyCar racing) and your passenger car as well.

Racing is still dangerous and fatality still occurs, but there’s so much these men did to make that much fewer and father between. I’m biased, as I love the sport, but I think it’ll resonate with anyone if it’s as good as the book. The preview makes me think it is. @Brooski might find this interesting.

Didn’t feel like starting a new thread, but David Michôd’s next Netflix funded feature (co-written by Michôd and Joel Edgerton) will have a limited theatrical release this fall. It has a really impressive cast, with Timothée Chalamet, Joel Edgerton, Ben Mendelsohn, and Robert Pattinson, so I really hope it’ll be closer to his incredible work in Animal Kingdom and The Rover than War Machine.

Is that young Henry V? And is that Falstaff, or have I just learned too much of my history from Shakespeare?

I don’t know what exactly I expected from Ad Astra, but it wasn’t quite that.

It’s bouncing around in my head enough that I feel like I should see it a second time, even if it doesn’t seem like the narrative or spectacle would really require it.

Oh no, Ad Astra doesn’t get its own thread? It’s the first film in forever that I feel like going to the theater to see.

My thoughts aren’t ordered enough yet to say anything worthwhile, but I’m very interested in hearing what others think.

I watched Brittany Runs a Marathon

First, I didn’t know it was an Amazon Studios movie until the credits. I just don’t pay attention to studios that careful, and it was really good, really moving, and when people kind of complain about big budgets, dragons and superheroes, space taking over everything I just like these reminders that movies like these still have a place, even for someone like me who enjoys the big budgets.

The diversity in this movie is only sort of noticeable because it seemed so naturally done too, like it felt like it really was in NYC, and the acting was of course the highlight because there really isn’t much else there, for layperson anyway.

When we went to see Good Boys a preview for Brittany Runs a Marathon played. I thought it was a good movie. Though I’m not exactly sure what the actual movie can add that wasn’t shown to us already in the preview. I guess scenes can have more dialog and be allowed to breathe more, but the trailer was a pretty good short film that covered the whole arc of the character.

I just watched the trailer again. I would say there is a lot more humanity in the movie than what it shows in the trailer, more depth. Even some of those characters that look thrown in there for a brief laugh are… not that. My friend and I were pleasantly surprised, and I enjoyed it more than the trailers implied I would. It’s hard to say without giving it away but it seemed deeper to me than the comedic trailer shows.

Despite only starting filming in June, the outrageously prolific Clint Eastwood’s has a new film releasing this December, Richard Jewell, which is obviously about the 1996 Atlanta bombing and seems to be heavily in the mould of Sully. An honest man who saves dozens of lives has his world turned upside down by a cruel bureaucracy looking to lay the blame at his feet.

Dude will be 90 in May. What necromancer is keeping him animated? Do you suppose when he was talking to the empty chair at the RNC he thought Obama was actually in it?

I can’t get over how spot on Charlize Theron’s Megyn Kelly voice is in the new Bombshell trailer, which follows the fall of Fox News head honcho Roger Ailes (played by John Lithgow sporting Darkest Days-levels of heavy makeup):

I hope the film doesn’t shy away from demonstrating just how awful the network is as that would be a huge missed opportunity. The standout cast gives me some hope!

Just watched Parasite this evening as part of the initial US theater run.

It was really good! Highly recommended for folks who enjoyed any of Bong Joon Ho’s other movies (i.e. Okja, Snowpiercer, etc.) and anyone interested in a black comedy that dives into classism in Korea.

You have my attention.

Won’t be able to see it in theaters though. But will keep an eye out.

Really liked it, too! Recently there’s been a slate of films addressing class divides, including Joon-ho’s Snowpiercer, Burning, and Shoplifters, the latter of which was probably my favorite.

After watching Parasite, my friend and I are constantly joking about various schemes where we could manipulate our way into high society. The moment where the patriarch holds his nose during the party, right on the heels of that massive downpour the previous evening, will never leave me.

Hey, Calamity Jane was in there!

Do you know if Bombshell is changing things up at all from the source material? Or did they just directly copy their plot beat-for-beat from Starry Eyes?

I didn’t catch this movie when it was in theaters, but I watched Late Night on Prime video last night. It’s a movie about a fictional late night talk show host who is a woman. It’s written by Mindy Kaling, and she stars in it as well, alongside the main character played by Emma Thompson. Emma Thompson is just amazing in this role. They did such a great job creating this fictional talk show host. By the end of the movie, I felt like this was a show I could have been watching on and off for years on TV.

The movie is light-hearted but also pretty serious about what it’s exploring. I really enjoyed watching it. If you enjoyed the Mindy Project, I think you’ll enjoy this movie. It’s got a lot of the same sensibility and humor. And Emma Thompson is better here than I’ve seen her since Howard’s End.