There will be no cigar-chomping or vaping in Gears 5

I wonder if people are as impressed with the graphics here as we were in the original Unreal :)

Yes, they’re visually-stunning.

I don’t know why, but the game runs really poorly on my rig and crashes a lot. Haven’t been able to play very far. I’ve got a Radeon RX480 and a Ryzen 2600. I’m only running medium settings. I’m on the driver release recommended for the game. This happened before and after yesterday’s patch…

Ryzen 2700 running here at 69-72 FPS (according to the benchmark) and seems super stable except for some crackling sound issues with my virtual 7.1 Logitech G933 headphones.

I started playing the campaign over the weekend with a couple friends, I don’t know if we’re rusty or the game has changed much but we keep hitting speed bumps, keep getting hung up in areas until we manage to bulldoze through. We got really stuck at the point where JD is pinned under the helicopter and has to shoot the suicide bomber dudes before they blow him up - because for some reason the game splits up the players, Del is off in another area and has to work his way over to help JD out. I don’t know how many times one of us died figuring out how to manage that one.

Maybe we shouldn’t have chosen Experienced as our difficulty level, but that seems analogous to Hardcore in the previous games. Then again we had to dial back our Halo 5 attempt so maybe we’re just getting old. Sad face.

Best $1 I’ve ever spent. I’d love to know the re-sub numbers when everyone’s $1 sub is up.

When does yours expire?

I’m guessing they are hoping to follow the Netflix model - hey, maybe you came here to binge Gilmore Girl episodes but look at all this other crap we’ve got! That, or that you’ll forget to cancel your subscription.

May 2021. I had time to go on my Gold sub, and before I did the GamePass $1 offer, I added another year for $45.

Best deal ever.

Ah cool, you were on the gold sub and did the deal like the rest of us. I think mine goes to April 2021. I’m thinking of doing the Rockstar Energy drink deal to get another year for $20, but I don’t drink Rockstar and I’d feel pressured to if I did that.

I was just wondering about people who weren’t gold members who just got it for one month or something.

There’s just so much detail in every scene. The mother hunched over the baby stroller. The milk bottles. The blood spatter coming from the direction of the stage. The tipped over table with the bullet holes. The center pieces arranged on each table by the organizer of the event. The disco ball lighting the stage that’s still spinning and lighting the room. The guitar and drums and various instruments on the stage. Unseen here, but the art on the walls that show the kind of architecture that we’re used to seeing in earlier Gears games, only drawn from artist’s eye. That’s just one room.

Btw, the way they treat Kait’s character in this game so far, I wouldn’t expect her to survive Act 1 of this game. Only, she’s on the cover of the game, so I know I’m wrong.

It’s also the “Settlement 2 Summer Birth Ceremony”, because the COG are trying to repopulate the human race after Gears 1-3.

Gears 5 is a beautiful game.

This is weird. I played through the first act on Game Pass the other day without any issues, but now when I load up the game I get to the splash screen and after hitting enter I end up waiting on an endless loading screen. I guess I’ll have to uninstall. Shame.

I think there was an update pushed out today. Make sure you don’t need that first.

So far I’m enjoying this game a great deal more than prior entries in the series. The only reason I’m playing it is because it’s gotten so much acclaim from sources that don’t normally like Gears of War games. I also like it, and I especially like the little helpful robot buddy that follows me around. I don’t remember that in previous games I’ve played in the series.

If I had one complaint it would actually be three. I actually hate every single character I have to play. I do not like the first guy they start me off as, JD. He’s just the most boring protagonist I’ve ever seen in a game so far. And I super duper do not like the next two idiots. I guess they don’t force me to play as the third one, but he’s always teamed up with whatever the name of the stupid idiot I’m playing as is called. I don’t know her name, but when her and that other guy get together all they do is bitch and moan and talk shit about everyone else on the squad. Jesus Christ people, if you’re that miserable just go join the Locust or whoever the hell the enemies are.

So far the most interesting guy on my team is that old guy with the grey beard. I don’t even know why they bothered making the rest of these stupid idiots playable if someone like that is in the game. They should have just made the game about him and had everyone else fridged in the first act.

Thanks. The update wouldn’t download until I logged out of my Microsoft Store account, restarted my PC, and logged back in, but at least now it’s working again.

Man, the Boltox is such a great weapon. Who needs a Longshot when you’ve got a pistol accurate from a billion yards?

It’s weird how off a lot of the object scaling is in the more civilian areas of Act 1. Baird has these colossal shrimp fried rice take-out boxes scattered around his desk. Some of the unopenable doors are so massive, that if they were opened they’d block the entire hallway. There was a bathroom in Act 1 that had the mirror above the sink higher than JD’s height which made him appear as if he was 5 years old to me.

I finished up Act 2 last night. The boss of Act 2 was a total bitch on Experienced difficulty. I struggled on that fight for about an hour before I finally got through it. My AI buddy seems to be getting dumber as the game goes on. He’s done nothing in several fights including that boss. Maybe I just never noticed it before, but I felt the AI buddies were better earlier on. There was also a bug where the boss disappeared from the cutscene before the fight. Seems the boss actually has disappeared during the boss fight too for some people.

Sausage fingers.