These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

Well, Heidegger was a boozy beggar.

Huh? What!? Gooddammmit!!!

Three excellent points!

I found this episode really compelling, right from the beginning. As soon as the Kirks are split, the good Kirk goes to his quarters and find Yeoman Janice there. And you think, wait, after it was revealed last episode that Kirk has a thing for her, did he actually start having a relationship with her? But no, it turns out, she was just doing a task for him in his quarters while he was down on the surface of the planet. Weird.

And then the first thing that Evil Kirk after he gets his Saurian Brandy is he goes down to Yeoman Janice’s quarters. Thanks to the last episode, and his behavior, we know exactly what he’s there fore. I have to say, I really loved this scene. The Yeoman is the most frequent crew member we’ve seen on the show so far after Kirk and Spock (even more than the Doctor), and the idea that she’s about to get raped is frightening, menacing, and the possibility seems real here. I won’t spoil the scene itself, but it’s just beautifully handled. I was wondering the whole time how far they’d go. How far would network TV in the 60s let them go? Would we, at some point cut away, implying that she was raped off camera? The possibility hung there really strongly until she was able to fight back and get away. Bravo.

The rest of the episode really was stolen by spineless Kirk. They concentrated a lot on William Shatner’s face, and his performance was very subtle, but the indecision and fear showed through in really subtle ways. Well done Mr. Shatner.

Overall, this was just a really great episode. It featured a real threat to two beloved crew members. The audience kind of knew Kirk would be okay, since he was Captain, but they continue to use Yeoman Janice on the show, because the way she’s been presented so far, it’s unclear what the show will or won’t allow to happen to her. So the threat of rape felt very real and scary in this episode.

I felt the same way about this, but about half way through the episode I rationalised this as the “virus” somehow suppressing their urge to snitch to the doctor. Works enough for me.

I can’t explain away the red shirt lifting up his bee-keeper mask and breaking quarantine by rubbing the planet all over his face, or the fact that no one in security seemed to obey Spock’s instructions.

ps: Regarding the FX. The very first remastered Trek I watched on Netflix was one Mudd’s Women, I think, and I hated the CGI ship in the viewfinder. I thought it looked awful. So I borrowed my friend’s Blu-rays, which meant I could switch back and forth between them at the touch of a button. And after a few flick-betweens now I’m convinced that the new FX are great and the old ones are terrible. In most of the establishing shots the planet is beyond blurry and the enterprise is semi-transparent. I’ve even watched a normal episode shown on SD TV to “verify” and yup, it looks a bit rubbish.

I thought they re-did everything, but it seems like they’ve just re-done the screen FX and the establishing shots. All of the phaser fire, explosions, flashy lights, and injuries appear to be the originals. Not bad!

Interestingly in S1E9 Dagger Of The Mind they’ve changed an establishing shot, which shows people beaming down, with a matt painting!

Hey that’s cheating! We’re not there yet.

Yeah, @Pod, it’s difficult, but I’d be considerate especially iin a direct response to @Rock8man who is behind and trying not to have his first time view spoiled. But it is hard to debate otherwise. I mean it is 50 years old.

Nobody here but us skeletons…looking for cheesy golden fleeces…

That’s probably the right way to put it - it’s been so long since I’ve seen some of these episode that I don’t have strong memories of how they should look, so updates to the effects don’t mean much to me. My kids didn’t grow up with Star Wars so they don’t have any strong feelings about those movies, however much I might.

You’re preaching to the choir here! For most of these episodes I’ll also be watching them for the first time too, so before posting that reference to a future episode I edited out as much detail as possible in that reference to the establishing shot. I felt that ‘someone beams down somewhere’ was harmless enough for Star Trek :) I originally wrote who and where, for instance !

But surely even your kids can see how incongruous and contrasting it is, and question why Han Solo raises 5 feet in the air after walking on Jabba’s tail. (Which raises the question of why is Jabba’s outside his palace with so few guards, and why does he allow someone to stand on his tale?)

I imagine they can also spot how hideous and annoying the disco singing frog is as well .

Yeah, it’s tough…

Not really, they’re aged 4 and 6, They aren’t the most discriminating audience. In fact they are kind of bored by Star Wars in general.

Also, while my kids don’t (yet) share my Trek obsession, they are fully aware of it. About a year or so back my son said, look I made you an Enteprise, and he gave me this:

I’ve posted that previously in the LEGO thread I think? But I think it’s such a cool and iconic design, and my son recreated it with maybe a half dozen LEGO pieces.

Sorry you didn’t like “Where No Man…”. I thought it was quite good, a more pessimistic version of Star Trek, that views humanity’s essential nature as quite corrupt. It takes the dictum “Absolute power corrupts absolutely” quite literally, which I thought was quite interesting given how Star Trek is generally much more optimistic about humanity’s nature in the TNG era.

Also, although I’m not caught up to your current posts, I got your latest reply through my email.

Yeah, watching the original versions was interesting on CBS All Access, but I have to say, the new upgraded versions looks so much better. Are you sure they didn’t touch up the sound effects and all? From upthread, this is what I noted about the Man Trap:

I think @Navaronegun mentioned upthread that the remastered version had put in the phaser sound effects and the sound of “punching” McCoy’s girlfriend by Spock, etc. None of that was there in the CBS All Access original version.

Missed this, Mr. Dive. That is awesome!

You know what they say, Mr. Dive, from the mouths of babes

That was all on my Blu-Ray and on Amazon Prime. None of those issues were present.

LOL. Oh man, I know this is going to be pretty dark humor, so I hope you guys don’t mind, but I was thinking also about the Door AI in that scene.

Door AI: Processing Yeoman Janice Rand’s quarters. If Captain Kirk or Yeoman Janice strides purposefully toward the door, I should open.

Door AI: Ok, it appears the Captain is attempting to rape Yeoman Rand, and they’re going past the door, but they don’t seem to want to leave, so stay closed.

Door AI: After being forceably kissed and almost overpowered, Yeoman Janice has now made it to the door. It appears she actually is going to make it through the door. Open, Open Now!

Door AI: It appears the Captain has grabbed her and is pulling her back. But she is calling for help through the door to the corridor, asking Geological Technician Fisher to call Mr. Spock. Should I stay open so she can continue to talk? Negative! Close Door Now!

Oh yes of course, Mr Gun, out of the mouths of babes comes a fool and his money. Everyone knows that.

Well, in that case, I’m glad there wasn’t much technobabble in the series, because I felt like the technobabble in The Naked Time was pretty bad, and was one of the things that made it my least favorite episode thus far.

Yeah, I forgot to note this. In “Where No Man” we established that humans were part of Spock’s ancestry. In The Enemy Within, we find out that it’s half human! Half! That’s a lot higher than we were lead to believe!

My response to @scottagibson about the clumsy “Ant-i-bod-ies” above applies to your thoughts on Naked Time.. Its the “maximum technobabble”, because Humans have to resolve the plot. It’s the flip side of the “interesting pessimism” (which I find compelling as well) you describe about Where No Man. Humans cause most problems, but Humans overcome them as well. But there is no “paradise” or perfection. Just striving. That is TOS.