These Are The Voyages-Star Trek TOS Remastered and Reconsidered

Yeah, Gene’s kind of a dick. If you try singing the lyrics to the tune you can tell they don’t exactly scan very well.

FTFY. This shit goes on all the time in the “creative sector”.

Coulda been worse. He didn’t masturbate into any potted plants.

…that we know of

Yeah, that combined with all the revelations post-TNG (Chaos on the Bridge) and in all the memoirs, really seem to confirm him as a pretty all-around assholus maximus. The lyric thing also seems to be a step beyond normal “credit snatching”.

Well, Nichelle Nichols found him…problematic. Once Majel isn’t around to play whack a mole at preserving his memory, I think we’ll find out some potted plants had some problems back in the day.

There really needs to be a re-remaster of TOS. The CGI ships looked amateurish and cheap even when the remaster was first released. Just look at, for example, this shot. The physical model clearly has surface texture, while the CGI model looks like it has no diffuse texture at all.

The blurays are getting raves on Amazon.

From the blu-ray review section:

That sounds good. So basically you get both versions.

Yeah, I posted that above. That, the extra features, the ability to watch side by side and the remastering for Bluray all got me to buy them. It isn’t that expensive either.

Yeah, no kidding. When the DVD sets came out in the mid-2000s, my friend bought each TNG DVD set as it came out, and it was $100 for each season. And then I bought the first two sets of Deep Space Nine for $100 each. After we watched the first two sets, even though he had spent $700 on TNG sets, I finally managed to convince him that DS9 was even better than TNG, and he bought the rest of the seasons of DS9 for $100 each.

So yeah, approx. $60 for the blu-ray set with all 3 seasons, not bad at all.

I mean hell, I spent $200, and all I have to show for it is the first two seasons of DS9.

Laugh at me: I bought the TOS DVD releases (each season a box) for what I recall was $69.99 a pop. Maybe $89.99 a pop. In 2006.

Now I am buying them again. And I have Netflix and an Amazon Prime membership. I could watch them for free.

Quite a bit less during sales, think I paid $35 for it on Prime Day.

I should Brig you just for making me spend money needlessly.

Needlessly? I’m going to forget you said that.

Yeah, who am I kidding? I had to have it.

This obit was printed nearly ten years ago. I don’t think she is preserving anyone’s memory.

Thanks, I did not know that! I wonder if their son is controlling his interests now. She was left to clean up after the parade of his transgressions for years.

Then hooray for them, but the CGI effects still look cheap.

Oh, thanks for reminding me to check Prime.
In the spirit of things, I too will be firing up “The Man Trap” now, just before bed.
Good lord, it’s been probably decades since I’ve seen any of these
I’m kind of excited, actually.

You’re welcome! Good to have you along for the ride as well.

All right, so - The Man Trap! I had totally forgotten this was the premiere episode, if in fact I had ever known that. It’s the salt vampire episode! I always loved this one, even if the creature spooked me. I had forgotten quite a few details, like that it could change its form and was hiding as the wife of a researcher on a distant planet. I understand what @Gordon_Cameron is talking about when he says it’s a strange choice for a first episode, but it kind of works too. The characters are introduced in action, showing us who they are.

You’ve got Kirk, the decisive man of action; McCoy, the sardonic humanist; and Spock, the mysterious, logic-driven and alien fellow. These characters arrived fully formed. There’s Uhura, Sulu and Yeoman Rand too, though they aren’t as well defined - in fact, while Uhura’s conversation with Spock where she asks him to tell her she’s pretty gives the show a chance to point up Spock’s emotionless demeanor, it really doesn’t do her any favors.

But I’m guessing another reason this episode was chosen to kick off the voyages of the Enterprise is that, well, not all that much really happens. You’ve got the creepy alien, sure, and the mystery underlying its existence and its purpose, but it just kind of gives you a chance to get a feel for who these characters are and how they interact. Kirk earned my respect early by cutting through several speculative conversations about what could be happening on with a "Look, I’ve lost men, dammit." His priorities are set from the beginning.

I won’t drag this out, because I imagine a bunch of impressions are forthcoming, but I enjoyed my first foray back into the old stuff. Looking forward to what’s coming - up next, Charlie X!