This is a thread for PS+ (PS Plus) members

I turned off auto renewal. I don’t feel like they were working very hard for my money.

If I didn’t want to retain access to all of the great PS3 games from a couple years back I would too.

-Todd

So, how’s Furi? It looks fascinating, even if I continue being a little suspicious of games that are free on PS Plus right at launch. (Worked for Rocket League, but that’s a very different case).

Of course if the plan was to use PS plus to build buzz and actually make money on the PC, having the PC launch happen right after the Steam sale might not have been optimal :-(

I heard some scuttlebutt on Twitch that the controls for Furi were a little laggy. I talked to some people more tonight and apparently it’s just because the dodge has startup frames.

Most people like as instant of a response as you can get with controls so it’s kind of a strange decision for a game that reduces the genre to its component parts like this.

It sounds like there are some frustrating bosses too.

I’ll probably still play it eventually. I’m sure it’s something I can get used to.

August’s games have been announced:

• Tricky Towers, PS4
  • Rebel Galaxy, PS4
  • Yakuza 5, PS3
  • Retro/Grade, PS3
  • Patapon 3, PS Vita
  • Ultratron, PS Vita, PS3, PS4

Europe already got Retro/Grade back in 2012, no word if that’ll be subbed out.

Hm, I’ve heard interesting things about Yakuza 5. Otherwise, another month where MS serves up $60 releases versus Sony’s digital-only indies. Not that I’m particularly into wrestling games or the Musou genre.

Holy shit!

This is awesome. I can’t wait for Rebel Galaxy. I wish I had a PS3 so I could play the “previously on Yakuza” movies that summarize what happened so far. I enjoy those so much more than the stupid weird slapping each other gameplay. And Patapon 3! For my Vita! I always wanted to try a Patapon game, but they never seem to go on sale. I didn’t even know there was a Patapon 3 for the Vita. I thought they were all PSP games.

Anyone know anything about Tricky towers, or Ultratron?

Awesome, Rebel Galaxy!

And Yakuza 5!

It is a PSP game, but the Vita has emulators for both the PSX and the PSP. It works nicely, although you might have to use virtual buttons for the extra shoulder buttons on PSX games.

That’s pretty awesome putting Rebel Galaxy on the list - I play on Xbone and have been wanting to play since it was released but held off due to the $20 price.

This is a great month IMO. :)

Looking forward to Yakuza & Patapon 3. Retrograde & the first Patapons were fun little rhythm games. Ultratron is amusing for an hour or so. Patapon 3 was in the top 10 on many lists of the best PSP games.

Rebel Galaxy is great. Alas, I already bought that six months ago on my Xbox One.

I really should turn on my Vita occasionally. I have a bazillion unplayed Plus games at this point. The original Patapon was amusing on the PSP.

Really? My recollection is that Patapon 3 was the least well liked of the series.

Incidentally, you can play the awesome Patapon 2 on Vita.

Yeah. I haven’t played it yet, but it made the #2 spot on IGN’s.

North America:
I recently saw yearly cards in a store marked with something like “Best Value” instead of 50$. They updated their august games post from last month with some news:

[quote]Starting on September 22, 2016, prices for PlayStation Plus
memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99 CAD for twelve months and
$24.99 USD/$29.99 CAD for three months. The monthly plan will change to
$11.99 CAD in Canada, and remain $9.99 USD in the U.S. If you are a
current member, the new prices will take effect if your membership
renews on or after this date.
PlayStation Plus strives to enrich your PlayStation experience
through a world-class service built for our fans. This marks the first
time that PS Plus membership prices will increase in the U.S. and Canada
since the launch of the service in 2010.
(…)
If you do not wish to continue your subscription, please be sure
to cancel it by turning off auto-renewal in your account settings before
September 22, 2016.[/quote]

edit - looks like I’m slow today, just noticed it was on the front page. Do you guys think it’s still a great value at the new price? As a non-PS4 owner it’s hard to say it feels like the past year would’ve been worth 70$.

But multiplayer. I’m mean, it sucks that you have to pay for multiplayer, but since you have to, yes, it’s worth it.

Increase from $50 to $70 CAD? A 40% increase? Fuck 'em, I’m out. I subscribed when I got my PS4 in 2014 and it offered reasonable value through the PS+ games that year. But since about mid-2014 there have been zero games offered that I’ve been interested in until this month’s Rebel Galaxy, and although I thought I might play some multiplayer, I never have, so seems silly to continue to pay until there is at least something I want from the service.

It was already questionable before the price increase, now there isn’t much left to question.

I have basically every active sony system (ps4, vita tv, ps3) and still the games you “get for free” are highly questionable and maybe i bought a single throwaway game on a prime plus only sale.

Other than that, the only time i’ve used PSN plus is to download the resident evil demo which was locked to that for some dumb reason ($$$).

The real reason i’ve kept it is because i want to backup my saves on the vita tv since their memory cards are shit. However i haven’t been playing my vita tv much lately…

PS+ sales have by far been where I’ve gotten the most value of my PS+ subscription this past year, and even those have dropped significantly in quality compared to previous years.

My subscription is up this weekend, and I’ll be renewing at the current price with no concerns, but I’m going to be making a significant effort to get through anything I care about that I only have through PS+ over the next year; I expect PS3 (if not Vita as well) games will be dropped from the monthly lineup at some point in the next year, at which point it’ll be impossible to justify paying $60 a year for access to games on a platform I own, access to games and multiplayer on a platform I don’t own, and a backlog I’ll already have gotten through.

This is a great point. Last time I stopped being a member, what I regretted most was losing access to stuff. So if you have in the back of your mind to try certain games out or play something that you want that’s part of PS+, play it before membership runs out, otherwise it’s all gone. Mine is set to last until August of 2017, so I have a year. I haven’t tried any of the PS Vita entries since Limbo, so I have a lot I should at least try. And same with the PS4 games. There’s quite a few I want to play at least once just to try it out. Who knows, it might be the next Galak-Z (god, what an awesome game that is, totally made PS+ worth it to discover that game from it, though I already own it on GoG and Steam now, so losing PS+ access to it will be no problem).

P.S. There is one other thing though. If they do stop giving you PS3 games, I bet that will be the moment when they choose to start giving big AAA retail games on PS4. I bet you anything they’ve been waiting on giving away games like Knack and Killzone and other early first party games for a moment like that, to soften the blow of taking away PS3 freebies or PS Vita freebies.

This sucks, but it’s the Destiny lifeline now. Can’t play online without it, and that’s still something my kids play constantly. I’m betting Sony knows there are more than enough between that game, CoD, GTA, etc. to keep everyone paying. Qt3 is not the target audience.