This is what happens when a Twitch streamer gets "swatted"

Link seemed fine to me.

Wasn’t the guy who got shot also white? Not really sure what race has to do with this.

Regardless, I still think it’s an absolute travesty that the police officer got no punishment whatsoever.

It was a fake virus alert telling me to visit another website or call a (non-1-800) number for Microsoft. The address ended in “xyz” instead of “com” or “net” or “org”.

I just did a full scan of my system using Malwarebytes with two PUP.Optional.Linkury results. Could be the issue.

Could be.
I’m also using Chrome, and had no issues, however I was unable to view the comments section. Probably just as well. :)

How exactly are they going to keep him from gaming? He could pick up a Nintendo DS and they’d never know.

My guess is they’re focused on his online gaming activities, not so much a DS.

I’m sure he will tell the prosecutor and judge if he starts gaming again. People for the most part are extremely honest.

Some of these automated CMS hacks only serve the bad result to a small percentage of viewers or check the referrer/previous history with the site to avoid being seen by admins. Google Ads tests domains hundreds of times in order to catch that behavior.

Mr Herring had been targeted by minors because of his Twitter handle of @Tennessee, which was considered a valuable handle.

“The neighbours called and said ‘There’s police everywhere, and they think a man has killed a woman and he’s on your property, you gotta take cover.’”

“He went out the house with a gun, because he heard someone was on his property” says Corinna Fitch, Mr Herring’s daughter. “He sees all these cops around him, and they ask if he is Mark Herring, ‘put your hands up’, so he tosses the gun away from him to show he’s not a threat, and [put his] hands up.”

Mr Herring then suffered a heart attack, and died in hospital shortly thereafter. His wife says he was “scared to death.”

Months later the family learned about Shane Sonderman, the minor who had been targeting Mr Herring and was responsible for the attack.

“He was from Tennessee,” says Corinna Fitch. “He’s the one that collected all our information, my address, my sister’s, my moms, my mother sister, and put it on a channel on Discord, which is a gaming chat forum.”

This was apparently an intimidation tactic to pressure Mr Herring into giving up the Tennessee username. Then, “a kid in the United Kingdom made the call to my dad’s local police department.”

I sense a vital flaw in our systems.

In college we once stayed up until 4am to phone Scotland Yard about what “super famicom” graffiti meant after they asked for help in a UK news article. We even gave them the right answer. Relatively wholesome days.

(We first called called at 2am, but they said the right person at Scotland Yard wouldn’t be available until 10 their time and they couldn’t pass on a message.)

I can detect at least one legal flaw, one technology flaw, and a couple of procedural flaws…

5 years seems kind of light to me

Seems like it had the potential to be even lighter, and the judge wanted it to be heavier. I really hope his sentencing is a catalyst for remorse in some of the similar people who weren’t able to be charged.

Judge Mark Norris said Sonderman’s agreement to plead to one count of extortion by threat of serious injury or damage carries with it a recommended sentence of 27 to 33 months in prison. However, the judge said other actions by the defendant warranted up to 60 months (5 years) in prison.

Sonderman might have been eligible to knock a few months off his sentence had he cooperated with investigators and refrained from committing further crimes while out on bond.

But prosecutors said that shortly after his release, Sonderman went right back to doing what he was doing when he got caught. Investigators who subpoenaed his online communications found he’d logged into the Instagram account “ FreeTheSoldiers,” which was known to have been used by the group to harass people for their social media handles.

Sonderman was promptly re-arrested for violating the terms of his release, and prosecutors played for the court today a recording of a phone call Sonderman made from jail in which he brags to a female acquaintance that he wiped his mobile phone two days before investigators served another search warrant on his home.

[…]

Judge Norris said he was giving Sonderman the maximum sentenced allowed by law under the statute — 60 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release, but implied that his sentence would be far harsher if the law permitted.

Why is the law so light in this case?

There’s still not a SWAT-specific law out there that really covers this or the severity of the potential outcome in a lot of jurisdictions – like this one. So the prosecution was looking at a lot of charges, but knew they probably couldn’t even get involuntary manslaughter to really stick given the burden of proof.

They ended up charging the offense they thought they had the best case to make on, and that ended up driving a plea agreement to plead guilty to that charge. I think it was wire conspiracy or something of that nature.

Sometimes you don’t need to lock people up for life, American jailtime is way too long in general for just about anything. The guy calling might be a moron, but it was SWAT that scared the guy to death. They sound a bit brutal.

… Yeah don’t hold the guy responsible who is responsible.

And the only reason SWAT was there was because of _____? And they thought they had a dangerous situation on their hands because of _____?

Filling in the blanks might be illuminating!

Yeah. Sending the SWAT team at someone is the equivalent of firing a loaded gun at them. I hate guns and want to eliminate them from our society utterly, and ideally melt them down and fashion the slag into a 400m tall statue of Dolly Parton holding Donald Trump’s severed head aloft. . .

. . . but you still charge the guy who fired the gun with murder, while we’re waiting on our Dolly statue to clear the engineers.