Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

I am currently playing as well and enjoying myself! Just reached the middle of act 4, so I am nearing the end.

This game gives me Banner Saga vibes: very tough decisions with unpredictable outcomes, great art, great writing, but a set of game mechanics which feel a bit disjointed from the actual narrative. Also, I really preferred Banner Saga’s linear caravan movement to Thronebreaker’s ‘open world’ approach. Ressource collection is tedious and I am doing all quests anyway, so I’d rather not bother with map movement at all.

Even though I am playing on the hardest difficulty, I am finding the game too easy. I haven’t touched many of the cards, because my standard (non-cheese!) strategy almost always works. I wished there was more push back, forcing me to experiment more. On that note: why do you need to load the last checkpoint in order to alter your deck when you are stuck with a battle!? That is an insane design decision!

The number of trinkets to choose from gets out of hand way too quickly.

Not a fan of so many cards being animated. Creates wild fps swings (fire on rows a notorious culprit) with little to no benefit. Coming to think of it, I would prefer a cleaner, static look of the battlefield that is easier to read.

Isbel can be downright broken, but is a lot of fun!

Is it just me or were the puzzles in Act 1 the hardest? A lot of the more recent ones seemed way easier than the initial ones. I laughed about the Hearthstone/ Magic homage puzzle in Act 3, actually fumbling my first attempt.

Would be nice to have puzzles where you have to design your own deck to solve them.

I’d imagine the learning curve of this game is rather steep if you have little experience with Gwent or similar card games. Many things don’t get properly explained at all, though the tooltips are decent…