Time loops for fun and profit

La Jetee is a personal favorite of mine and much better (imho) than the remake (12 Monkeys).

Seen it about a dozen of times.

Just watched this, not knowing anything about it apart from the recommendations here and the description on Amazon: “Café owner Kato discovers that his PC monitor shows what will happen two minutes in the future.” That is such a solid and fun premise, I was immediately on board.

And what a great achievement! Just absolutely delightful - the cast were charming and funny, but the intricate clockwork nature of it all, and then doing it in one shot - I can’t begin to imagine how complex it must have been to set up and then perform correctly. Very impressive!

It’s not really one shot. But there were definitely some challenges, as you can see during the credits. E.g. unspooling several floors worth of power cord.

I just watched it tonight and was delighted. That was a lot of fun.

Hmm how come I didn’t know about this thread before?

We’ve told you about this thread 725 times now but you always immediately forget.

For anime, in addition to the beloved Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I’d like to nominate Tatami Galaxy and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Your Name has time travel too but not a loop

I really want to see Tatami Galaxy

I chuckled. Well done.

I’ve seen a few mentions of individual episodes of TV shows, so I’ll toss in my favorite two:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Life Serial has a timeloop sequence that’s wonderful.

Supernatural - Mystery Spot is one of my favorite episodes and is a pure time loop.

Woah, you’re going to go down to individual episodes from TV shows?

I didn’t think of that.

Star Trek The Next Generation - Cause And Effect - This episode turned 30 years old in March 2022, and is a classic.

I’m partial to Here I Go Again from Legends if Tomorrow, particularly the pop culture riffs.

Mystery Spot is also excellent.

I believe this episode was referenced in the above episode of Buffy, actually. :-)

I think it’s the first time I encountered a time loop story, but I can’t be sure. I know Groundhog Day came out a year later, so it was before Groundhog Day. But it feels like such a universal concept that I must have encountered it before, right?

Going back a ways (1980), but Somewhere in Time fits the bill, at least to me. Stars Christopher Reeve being awesome.

Inspired by finally getting around to finishing up The Good Place!

Just look out for the time knife. Takes a couple of Jeremy Beremys to get used to it.

Just watched Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes for the third time. This time roped my wife and 15-year-old daughter in to watching it with me. They both liked it, even the daughter who was highly skeptical going in.

Man, that thing is so good.

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim is a time loop story.

Except it isn’t.

Well, kind of, but not the parts you see.

Except for the one bit on the train platform.

Which also isn’t actually a time loop.

Legion Season 3, Episode 1. Time loop!