Time loops for fun and profit

Just remembered Minit, which is basically a 60 second time loop, but an impure one since you e.g. get to carry your entire inventory of one item to the next loop:

I didn’t love it, and honestly it doesn’t give enough of that time loop feeling due to the impurities. But it is short, and there’s a good chance it is already in y’alls backlog from bundles or due to being an Epic freebie.

I had a good time with that one until I eventually stalled out and didn’t know what to do next. I believe I crossed the desert, and then stalled out soon after that.

The Extracted Trilogy by RR Heyward is time looping at it’s most active.

I love this time travel short story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkBS4O3yvY

Ooh, I like that one too. Here’s another short film about time travel/time loops I really like.

Ooh, it’s her off of Children’s Hospital!

It’s all just flavour text though, and my impression is that it never happend outside of the initial wake up scene. Even if you as the player know the secret handshake for some event, it will not be an option unless the character also learns it. And even worse, the character’s inner monologue will just repeat through every iteration, they keep on being surprised by the same things in the same way over and over.

Two Distant Strangers is an Oscar-winning short film available on Netflix. It uses a time loop structure to make a really powerful point about police brutality and racism. It was written and co-directed by Travon Free, who wrote for the Daily Show and Full Frontal (and hosted a Hamilton podcast on Earwolf, which is where I first became aware of him). I can’t recommend it highly enough, it packs a lot into its 30 minutes.

I guess Steins;Gate and YU-NO counts from the visual novels side. Higurashi and Umineko probably should count as well (although Umineko’s technically not time looping but ‘story’ looping instead).

I’ve been away from Netflix for a while but a week from today is a mighty tempting time to go back.

I loved Season 1 of Russian Doll, and it sounds like Season 2 is great too, but with time travel instead of a time loop this time.

Some more films with Time Loops!

The Endless Soft sequel to Resolution. I recommend watching that one first.

Boss Level Trash action movie. Mel Gibson is the final boss.

Triangle Spoilers!

Time Crimes I forget if this is a time loop or not. It might just be time travel wankery.

Timecrimes is a time loop in the sense that it’s a causal loop, yes.

Hooo buy. Just watched Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes.

Very fun and original take.

I haven’t watched it yet, but Beyond the Infinite Two minutes is on Amazon Prime.

Wow, what a technically impressive film. Particularly since it seems like it was made for about $5. It blows Primer out of the water, IMO.

I watched it a while ago when The Filmcast recommended it and it’s so much fun and such an impressive feat!

It’s also presented as a single real-time uncut take which just further underscores how awesome it is

Yes, I found it refreshing, and the comedic tone charming. If somebody in Hollywood is not working on an American remake I’ll eat my hat.

Apparently there’s a whole Japanese genre of “low budget one shot films”. Found out after watching 2 minutes. Started with a zombie one not that long ago (now in my to-watch list).

One Cut of the Dead is pretty fantastic.

La Jetee is awesome; it even has ASMR before that was a thing

There is a weird Canadian one about some kids in rehab; not particularly “good”, but somehow memorable: I was actually just thinking about a couple bits from this the other day: