To Ogre or not to Ogre!

Bad traffic situations / drivers have often caused me to long for a Car Wars-esque RPG. Mmmm…bumper trigger.

I don’t think a pc version of Car Wars would turn out very well, personally, because a faithful version would probably be turn-based and would seem to lose a lot of the speed and power of armored, armed automobile combat. An updated Autoduel using Car Wars setting and cars would kick ass though.

SJ Games sent an email that they are going the iOS app route for record keeping, so stat sheets won’t be in the box. It doesn’t sound like they’re looking at porting OGRE itself, but who knows? Maybe if the board game really takes off we’ll see something.

Check out Darkwind…turn based would be fricken awesome!!! I had a subscription to Darkwind but the lack of the ability to save or some back later to a combat was a shop stopper for me with 3 kids and a job. :(

In fact a single player version of Darkwind would be equally as wanted as a PC or IPAD version of Car Wars.

They will be including paper record sheets, actually. Just not the dry erase solution that was the alternative to the app. Count me as one of the 80% who much preferred an app.

Am I crazy - I could have sworn I played Car Wars on the C64 - was that not a true car wars game?

It was great! From what I can remember anyway. It was almost as good as Auto Duel…oh why won’t someone remake that!!!

Yeah Car Wars on the C-64 was great. I spent a lot of time on that game. When I beat it I sent photos of the final screen (which I still have, somewhere) to Activision and they sent me a Car Wars poster.

The good old days. My lawn, remove yourselves from it.

Well I went and did it - I backed at the 100 dollar level.

My youngest son told me he will play with me - so how could I not get it? Even my daughter started asking questions about the Ogre itself.

They put up a survey for the supporters on Update #9 and one of the items they are asking about is should they commit to a PC or mobile game.

I saved my greatest enthusiasm for the computer game and OGRE fiction (I love the old Laumer Bolo stories) but I would also really like to see Ogrethulhu come back. I like the idea of metal miniatures, but they look best painted and I just don’t have that kind of skill or patience.

There actually were metal minis at some point. I’m not sure how extensive the line was or anything, but a few definitely existed.

Given international shipping prices I just pointed a friend, who runs a gaming store, at this. He’s going to reserve me one when it comes out :)

The last update went over the poll results for the 300K stretch goal:

From Steve Jackson Games:
• The Ogre computer project got 9.5% hate, 28.4% SQUEEEE! love, and a total of 71.2% when we combined the level 3, 4, and 5 “favorable” results. Wow. Okay, that’s our $300,000 stretch goal. Life is interesting.

Makes me happy! Hope they make the goal.

Looks like 71% of the people poled want the computer version. Woot!

Apparently nobody was interested in OGRE fiction but me. Oh well.

I’d’ve been possibly interested, but a computer version was a much higher priority.

Fiction was my second choice after computer version. :>)

Of course could read Bolo series as someone else mentioned or maybe Berserker series by Fred Saberhagen (which I kind of like to think are about crazy OGREs in space).

I’m with ya, I think those cardboard models look hideous. For $100 I would expect production values similar to Space Hulk or other games with plastic figures. It’s unfortunate too, because I really liked Ogre when I was young and would most likely buy this if it looked better.

But Cars Wars is my real love so I wish he’d just make that instead!

I read a couple of articles where Steve Jackson and <insert one of his main dev guys> talk about wanting to do a updated Car Wars product. I loved Car War but can’t see playing those rules now, they are just too outdated and far too clumsy. I would love them to see them release both a old-school rules update (one I wouldn’t play) and a completely new ruleset with modern boardgame design (faster/easier play, minis, better turn system, real boards, no CRT (Combat Results Tables), etc.).

I always thought the Car Wars universe and game idea was grand, but the actual game was very clunky and after 8 hours of play the cars barely moved 200’. I’d like to see a game where the cars can cover huge amounts of territory (several laps around the Armadillo Autoduel Arena mall map instead of 1/8th of a lap).

My old buddies and I never actually played Car Wars – we just designed vehicles and talked about them. It was a lot of fun.

Yeah, that’s as far as I ever got too. But pretty badass cars we designed, huh?