Tom Chick's top ten games of 2020

14.99 at Epic currently. It’s been available for 10 multiple times, but for whatever reason it isn’t marked down during the current sale. Honestly, I feel bad I got it for 10 bucks.

Hi, I’m vinraith, I don’t think we’ve met. :)

Yep, and if it turns up on a store I’m willing to do business with at that price I’ll likely grab it.

Edit: And for the record (and anyone else that might be interested):
via itad.

All five are Cyberpunk 2077. (spoiler alert)

Yes, it was $7 once and I wish I’d picked it up then! Damn that three extra dollars! I wouldn’t expect it to hit that price again for a good long while.

Particularly since the retail price has gone up to 25 since then.

I am not an action gamer, I rarely play them and I am not very good at them when I do. I have something like 80 hours in Hades. I adore the game. I smile or laugh just above every time I play it.

I didn’t like Bastion at all, but Hades feels very different to me.

#6 for Hades sounds fair to me. It is most certainly in my top 10, but there are quite a few games I enjoyed far more this year.

The only way that I’m not in wild disagreement with Hades not being in the top 5 is if #1 is Miles Morales. That’s how you buy me off. But since it was the cover photo, that means it’s not even in the top 10, based on the history of Tom’s trolling. So I’m warming up the pitchfork. It hurts more when it’s warm.

This is a useful data point for me, since Bastion is the only other game of theirs I’ve actually played and I couldn’t fathom why it had the reputation it had.

Yes, so many really good games were released this year, Hades being in there is already generous enough for a game with a good first few hours — while it’s still got something to say — but why stretch and extend it over so many hours of samey and as vinraith put it without even playing it, twitchy action. Hadès! it’s even got a baby mode to walk you through a 20 hours playthrough instead of spending the 50-ish it wanted you to spend on it before release.

Well, they feel exactly the same to me, excepting for diverging the structure with the one à-la-mode.
Bastion, Transistor and Hades all suffer from a very boring action part to me. And the pretentious overtones didn’t help.

Pretentious? Hades?

The “relaxed” overtones of the dialogues don’t go well with me. I’m classical fashioned. I’m not fit for the English speaking world, shoot me!

Fair. Honestly, your reaction is the main reason I’m not running out and buying it because it sounds like we felt exactly the same about Bastion. I’ll pick it up cheap and refund if needed.

As I have said in the other thread, I am 80 hours in, and I am still getting new dialog (and I turned on “baby mode” after 30 hours or so). I finished the main story and stuff is still happening. The characters are so well done and they don’t seem to repeat. Dionysus still cracks me up every time I see him as the party dude. Zeus and Poseidon like to brag about how they are better than their brothers. And after seeing her tons of times, Aphrodite told me she has a husband, which had me dying. (Edit: OK you don’t like that it’s so loose with the Gods, understandable, but I find it delightful.)

The gameplay is repetitive, but after 100 runs, I keep going. I can do a run in 30-40 minutes, so it’s not like it’s a huge time killer. And I still have tons of stuff to unlock.

Hades is easily my #1 game of the year. No question.

I played Fenyx, so I know that she had a forced marriage to Hephaestus kind of as a joke that Zeus was playing, and she hates him.

Oh I liked the gods, it’s the rest of the cast that I didn’t like at all, and felt as they were out of place (and out of lines).
And poor Aphrodite, cheating on her husband with everything in the name of love!

I am not really giving anything away, but every time you meet her, you kind of flirt with her (edit: actually she flirts with you, she can’t hear your character supposedly). You can even hang up a poster of her in your room. The game isn’t too serious (or accurate).

Everyone flirts with everyone in this game! It’s the sexiest video game take on Greek mythology, ever. Heck, even the Gorgon head maid (Dusa) is sexy. Death is sexy. The damn 3 headed dog is sexy, in his own special way.

I find it accurate in not being serious, but I didn’t like the “meta” (or 4th wall breaking as its called nowadays?) aspect of it. It’s something I never enjoyed in any sort of media past my rebellious early years, and games have been no exception. I totally understand some others will find it delightful though!