Tom Chick's top ten games of 2020

Ok, not going with you there :O

The Dusa thing is a bit weird, and I didn’t really like that story arc. And not being gay myself, made that other potential relationship a little weird. But I do love Megaera.

Ok enough taking about it, I am going to go play it.

Wait, if I continue playing Hades past the first hour eventually I’ll have to roleplay as a gay guy?

It’s Greek mythology. Being bisexual is a given.

I found out with this game that Megaera didn’t share the name with the angry women she represents in English, as she does in my language, and many latin based one I assume.

Nah. Not unless you want to. The romance thing is very minor in Hades, and once you’ve given everyone their first gift of Nectar, you’re done with anything game impacting.

Wheeeew. Cool, I need to keep away from all temptation.

Actually, I kind of lied. But it’s a spoiler. So I won’t say anymore.

I think I’d appreciate the Greek mythology in Hades a lot more if I didn’t play Immortals Fenyx Rising, which for me works so much better. It is funny, respectful and often insightful in a way Hades could only dream to be. Seeing the way Greek mythology is handled in Immortals does make Hades feel… pretentious, among other things. It’s kind of weird, really.

And as a Greek fanboy I was intrigued by Immortals. What you doing to me :O

Somebody tell me the Switch version is terrible.

I don’t know if it’s terrible, but I had to refund the Xbox One X version because of performance issues. It will be the first game I buy when I get a Series X though, because the dialogue and interaction between the gods was funny and up my alley. And as of right now it’s the only game pushing me to upgrade to a series x sooner than later.

Ouch, sure doesn’t bode well. Thank you.

It’s ROUGH on Switch. Tiny view distance, tons of fog, muted colors. Frame rate is supposed to be okay due to all that, but ugh, price to pay.

I’ll just… wait a few years to get the console needed to run it, since it appears the xbox x I was planning to get sometimes not too far isn’t sufficient!

While Hades was definitely in my top 5, one thing I fully don’t understand is all the GoTY things talking up it’s soundtrack. To me, it was fine, but almost entirely forgettable. A couple of the Orpheus songs felt more like novelty joke songs than anything I’d really want to listen to.

My top 2 soundtracks of the year (SoR4 and Paradise Killer) were far more intimately integrated into the aesthetic and overall presentation of their respective games, IMO.

It does gets huge points overall on the general aesthetics and presentation front for being a take on Greek Mythology that didn’t bore me to tears though.

Pretentious is going to be when Tom ranks Immortals Fenyx Rising above Hades.

I don’t think that’s true? Unless I’m getting the materials mixed up. There’s stuff that unlocks for later gifts, Ambrosia I think.

I thought the soundtrack was great. It really captured the mood of the game. And the Orpheus songs were incredibly well done. Would I want to listen to them outside of the game? No, but I have never heard a game soundtrack where I would.

I know Immortals is a lot higher in my list than Hades.

You’re right, you need to go past the first nectar. The first nectar unlocks something, and anything after that unlocks story elements except for a certain seven characters that you need to keep giving to. Those will give you something later. For the story, you need to keep giving them all stuff to advance.

The relationships are painfully obvious. A man, woman…and gorgan. It’s very obvious to stop if you don’t want to go down those roads.

And to be clear, the relationships are minor. Once you get to a certain level it’s one dialog exchange, then things go back to mostly normal. I finished 2 of the 3 and it has no impact on the story in the long term.