Tom Clancy's The Division

You’d probably find an even split between players who stop playing because of hacks, and those who stop playing because the incursion was shit, crafting got nerfed into the ground, you could never get Division Tech for crafting, and getting up to DZ90 to get something ‘useful’ took ages.

This is kind of funny, because the idea that “it took ages” to essentially reach max level and finish the entire game isn’t really a legitimate complaint in my mind. Especially when the “ages” in question is, what, a few weeks?

I stopped playing because the content ended, the game was over. There are no other classes/builds to replay through the content, no real differences in weapon effects, limited crafting.

I do not understand how this game got the “MMO flag,” but it plays like a 40 hour single player campaign with some grinding attached to keep retention. Its like calling Dying Light an MMO because you can play co-op; which I guess technically makes it Massive and Multiplayer. If World of Warcraft had launched with one character class, one faction and only 5 zones that looked similar I would have played for 40 hours instead of the 10,000+ I logged before I burnt out.

That is absolutely the best way to enjoy TD right now. Just play through once. The multiplayer endgame is awful and probably cannot be fixed*, but leveling through the storyline is a nice experience.

*on PC, anyway. It’s evidently a “trust the client” design, so hackers are not going away

I’m still playing it. In fact I was playing it pretty much daily until last Friday. I’ve got 8 days 23 hours on my main character, and 1 day 10 hours on a second character I’m leveling up with my brother who only plays infrequently.

Overall I really love it, it’s a great game. I’m on the PS4, though so I’m not affected by hacking. I do have some issues, but you can’t really complain with a game that’s been out less than two months that you’ve put in 250 hours into. Right now, I’ve got a friend I’m coordinating with to run the Incrusion for our weekly reward, and I expect I’ll drop in and out on occasion, just because I enjoy it.

Main issues for me are:

[ul]
[li] I don’t like the level 30 Dark Zone, although I did enjoy the DZ prior to 30. A game in which the attacker has all the advantages and in which groups of four players can gank solo players is not something I want to participate in. There’s really nothing to do to avoid an alpha strike of flash grenade, stun grenade, and incendiary bullets sent in by a team that’s two to four times larger than you, often done while you’re engaged with the NPC enemies. That’s not interesting gameplay. The DZ is still fun to play in on occasion when I’m grouped up with friends, but as a solo experience it sucks.[/li][li] The DZ fund drop rate sucks for anyone who is not running around ganking everyone or in a group that’s capable of Rogue Hunting. At some point they rebalanced DZ funds to make it so all the money is in Rogue play, and now for me as someone who has no desire to go rogue it sucks. At this point I’m DZ50 have not bought anything with DZ funds since DZ30, but still only have half the DZ funds I would need to buy a single DZ50 blueprint.[/li][li] I really like the Challenge Mode missions, but after many, many hours of play, I’m getting tired of running the same ones over, and over again. I’ll definitely be back for more when the May update which promises “More Challenge Missions” drops.[/li][li] The rewards for running Challenge Mode are way too low. At this point, I’ve probably run Challenge Mode missions 50-100 times (quite possibly a lot more than that) and I’ve yet to see a single set piece item drop.[/li][li] I’ve gotten to the point where Phoenix Credits aren’t useful anymore, and since their loot drop rate is so low, the PxC earned was the main reward for running Challenge Mode. I ran it two weekends ago enough to buy the Aug, and the Gunslinger Vest, and an SA-80 blueprint, which is a heck of a lot of Challenge Runs, and no interesting loot ever dropped for me.[/li][li] The Incursion even at Hard Mode is not well setup for PUGs. In particular they need to greatly up the GS minimum. I totally believe an outstanding group of players could finish it at GS 170, maybe even GS 160. But GS 140 is pathetically under geared. I don’t want to be the guy that’s constantly kicking people out of a group for their GS, but the only times I’ve successfully run the Incrusion have been with most of the team in the high 180s to the low 200s and every time I run with people mostly in the 160 range, we wipe. That would be fine, if they added a checkpoint after each bomb dropped, but as it stands now, PUGing the Incursion sucks. It’s totally doable if you’re draconian about kicking people with low GS, but you shouldn’t have to do that. It’s not fair to the low GS players for Massive to put them in a situation where they’re going to get kicked. And it’s not fair for the high GS players to either waste their time running it with a group that has almost no chance of completing it or have to kick people for their GS score. Maybe they could have a minimum PUG GS Score and then a minimum non-PUG GS score. Although I find it hard to believe anyone except the most insanely good players can run it at GS140. I’m sure someone can do it, but the other 99% of the population is being tricked into thinking they should be able to do it and wondering why they keep getting kicked from groups. From what I’ve seen when teamed up with low GS folks, they just can’t bring down the bad guys fast enough.[/li][/ul]

So for me, the core experience is sound. I would probably still be playing daily if the Challenge Modes at least dropped me something interesting every 5-10 runs, but instead with nothing interesting except Phoenix Credits in 50-100+ runs, and having run out of interesting stuff to spend PxC on, they just seem to be excercises in frustration. I still like running them, because the actual gunplay is fun, but they always end in disappointment of yet again not seeing a mythical gear piece which is supposed to be in the loot tables drop. For mostly someone who mostly solos the DZ currently sucks both.

Looking forward to new Challenge Modes, and in particular the June “Underground” update which is PvE for groups of 1-4 sounds like it could be great. And I’m still going to be running the Incursion at least weekly.

http://i.imgur.com/HbHpUWD.png

I fear every patch is going to make this game worse.

Next patch is going to balance weapons. But their idea of balancing weapons is going to be (I bet it) nerf SMG’s and marksman rifles. I know this dance and this music because I have danced to it before. They are going to break every weapon type in each balance pass, making every weapon type unfun and broken.

The “lets break what works” school of nerf, instead of the “lets fix what is broken” school of buff. And I know deep down that they are going the nerf way because is the lazy way and the easy way, but is not the best way, the more fun way.

postdata:
New patch has been announced, and seems I was wrong!

One thing I would say if someone’s thinking about getting the game, is that in spite of the negativity in this thread (which unfortunately is partly earned as far as the end game goes), overall it’s a great game. The run from Level 1-30 is actually quite lengthy, and is a lot of fun, if you’ve got friends to run it with. And the end game is fun for a while, but it doesn’t currently provide MMO level longevity. But honestly, it’s not an MMO, and it’s not priced as an MMO.

I’ve gotten at least as much time in the Division as I’ve got from my lengthiest favorite mostly-single player titles like Fallout or Read Dead Redemption. And I really enjoyed The Division until I burned out a bit on the end game.

I definitely still give the game a very big thumbs up, and IMO it’s totally worth paying full price for. Just don’t expect it to necessarily have the longevity of an MMO. Maybe with further fixes and more content drops it will reach that point, but it’s not there right now. It is very much a very worthwhile AAA experience. And if you like looter RPG mechanics and enjoy a modern military setting, you’re probably going to enjoy it a lot. I’m not even sure when the last game I played was that I enjoyed as much as my first 100+ hours of The Division.

I think it’s two steps forward, one step back. There’s definitely changes they’ve made that work well and are very welcome.

The Division Tech drop changes has greatly improved things, changing the DZ from a box opening simulation to something that actually focuses on combat. Now when I’m running in the DZ if I happened to be near a DZ Tech box, I’ll check it, but we mostly focus on which boss site is up and go running to that, and any DZ boxes is completely secondary.

The Supply Drops in the DZ are fun. They’ve added some dynamism to the DZ. They do need to change them to always drop Yellow High Ends instead of Purples which is just stupid. Although I did get a Gear Set item out of one of them (unfortunately Nomad gloves), which is the only time in 200+ hours of play that I’ve seen a Gear Set Item drop outside of the Incursion. They’re a good idea that needs some tweaking. (Also they should tweak the non-keyed DZ chests so that they have some DZ cash in them. It’s hilariously stupid that they have chests in the level 30+ DZ that have blue items in them.)

The gear swapping is a good thing, particularly in combination with the Gear Sets. So when you’re playing with friends you can give them an item from a set they really want. Plus it’s fun dropping extra High Ends for low geared players you run Challenge Mode with.

The fact that every boss drops a High End and Phoenix Credits (with more for higher level bosses) was a good change. Although they really need to up the rate drop for higher GS gear, plus they really should increase the number of items the Challenge Mode boss drops.

That’s interesting, and it differs quite a lot from my experience. I’ve spent hundreds of hours in each Fallout game, as is the case for most open-world titles. In The Division, I hit the point where you’re repeating content after about 50 hours. This also included some DZ grinding (up to rank 31). There’s a solid amount of gameplay involved in leveling, and it’s good gameplay, but I completely lost interest after my first few forays in their endgame.

If this is available on sale, I’d definitely recommend it as a solo game for a single playthrough. On the PC, right now, at full price, I think I got my money’s worth but I couldn’t enthusiastically recommend it currently.

That’s exactly what I plan to do once we know what the season pass contains for solo players.
I can wait. Can Ubi?

Apparently lots of info on the 1.2 patch in todays state of the game report. Looking at what they’re saying it could really be a great patch, assuming they don’t add in any new glitches or exploits. At the very least they’re talking about new stuff for PvE and the idea of the 200+ DZ sounds interesting.

The reporting from Steam stats is that over 50% of the player base has dropped off this game since launch.

http://steamcharts.com/app/365590#1m

Huge grain of salt and all that since this measurement only applies to the Steam population, but that’s not a great look.

Well, I called it and then I bought it. I guess I’m the biggest idiot here?

Upcoming changes discussed in last night’s State of the Game Twitchcast sound great. These are coming in 1.2 which is currently in testing, but does not yet have an announced release date. A short summary:

[ul]
[li]More generous gear drops all around for both PvE and PvP. They had one of the game designers join the Twitchcast and here’s a quasi quote from what I remember him saying last night: “Whenever we were faced with a decision whether to be generous or not in the 1.2 update design, we chose to be generous. We have wondered a few times if we’re being too generous, but ultimately decided to go with it.”
[/li][li]Creation of a GS 200+ DZ. This DZ will have much tougher enemies level 32-34 instead of the current 30-32 and they will drop much better gear including GS204 weapons and GS240 equipment. Weapons will drop more frequently, since they can’t be recalibrated.
[/li][li]All DZs will have the Supply Drop loot improved.
[/li][li]PvE is getting some love and attention (exactly what was not specified, but they did say that for the people calling out for NPC bosses like Bullet King getting revived 1.2 would address these kind of issues).
[/li][li]Weapon Rebalancing will focus on buffs not nerfs. The only thing which could be considered a nerf is Balanced is not working as intended (it’s only supposed to remove target reticle bloom when a weapon is shouldered, not permanently) and that will get fixed in 1.2. Otherwise changes will be buffs to underused weapons, not nerfs to popular weapons.
[/li][/ul]
Other stuff mentioned that I’m a bit nervous about – could be good, but only if we’re not hearing the full story.

[ul]
[li]DZ 200+ will have much less Gear/Weapon Mod drops and will only drop High End Divsion Tech. My concern is that unless they un-nerf their crafting change, this is going to mean we have no good way to get Electronics or Tools for crafting. With the crafting nerf, running around to various crafting nodes in the PvE world just doesn’t generate much crafting supplies, right now I’m getting them from deconstructing High End loot and from converting Division Tech.
[/li][/ul]

Interesting to see APril 12 and how big the dropoff has been since.

“Incursion”…

I find it kind of baffling that the reason why daily missions didn’t show up a few times, was that they had specifically hard coded the missions for each day, in the source code… So, it doesn’t go to the server and say, “Hey, what’s the daily today?” or generate it from some algorithm… but actually has a list of missions for each day, pre-set in the code.

That seems… kind of absurd? Right?

This is why they stopped working a few days before the first patch, because the patch was delayed a few days, and they “ran out” of missions specified in the code, since they only put them in up until the expected patch, figuring they’d add more in that patch.

Pretty much. Whoever’s in charge there is completely clueless and this is reflected in multiple areas of the game.

Wow, they really did follow in Destiny’s footsteps!

Well, if they follow Destiny’s history as well, I’m eagerly awaiting for the expansion that will make it super awesome! :)

Hear Hear!