Tomb Raider Reboot

I know, right? It even ruins Ex Machina! Thanks, Kellywand and Light Between the Oceans.

-Tom

New trailer…maybe it could be a…decent movie?

I thought the trailers looked like total trash, and only went to see it since it was basically the first time they showed something undubbed in the local “multi-sensory cinema”. You know, water sprays, shaking seats, strobes, smell-o-vision, and the works.

But actually this was fucking awesome, the tone of the trailers really did the movie a disservice. I loved 99% of what they did with both the plot and Lara as the main character.

The wait what now?

That sounds like the Shrek 4D attraction at Universal. A 3D short film with all the physical effects jsnell describes, plus air jets. Don’t recall any olfactory stimuli, though. Either they were too faint for me to detect, or they decided against giving people whiffs of donkeys and swamp dwellers.

Yeah, that’s the kind of thing. But rather than a short film at theme parks, it’s the standard releases of action movies at a normal movie theater. This is the specific format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DX

(And yes, it had directional air jets in addition to the general wind effects. Other effects that I didn’t mention were smoke and a mechanism in the back of the seat to punch you.)

I never went for 4DX but it sounds so bizzare I kinda want to try it.

So, would you recommend it over normal 2D viewing? I would also go for Tomb Raider (I like Vikander and read some positive reviews, plus you seem to like it a lot).

All those environmental effects were used very efficiently for TR, e.g. the scene with a ship in a storm was awesome. But the 3D was really bad. I think Tomb Raider kind of deserves to be viewed in proper 2D, save the 4DX for something so mediocre that you wouldn’t go and watch it in a theater normally :)

cough Pacific Rim 2 cough

Alicia Vikander will take two.

Finally saw this in retail. At least they don’t go for the supernatural angle like in the games or the Angelina Jolie version, instead going for the zombie version. Zombie makes everything better I suppose. It is better than I expected, certainly more coherent and sensible than the story of the 2013 reboot.

IMO it is probably one of the better video game adaptations, even though it is pretty much a flipped Indiana Jones movie. The bar was set pretty low by the likes of Doom, Max Payne, and Assassin’s Creed after all.

Agreed, except unlike an Indiana Jones movie, this one had zero humor. There was no comic relief at all, it was full on grim, dark and foreboding. I did like it and I am not knocking it for that, Im just pointing out the overall tone and how it differed from movies in a similar vein.

Come on, it was pretty much The Last Crusade without the humour. Full on daddy issue, the tomb being an obsession of dad, with detail notes and all that. They even walked over a chasm, and I half expected them to walk on invisible bridge like in Indy3 instead of using a ladder. And I’m not the only one seeing the connection.

Kinda crazy that Disney is so scared of upsetting Harrison Ford that they’re letting Tomb Raider and Uncharted take their place.

Just recast Indy with Chris Pratt and get it over with!

That’s a fair assessment. I don’t think anyone is saying that it was original in any way whatsoever.

I finally saw this on HBO. I don’t know if it was better or worse than the Angelina Jolie version, but it was pretty bad. The first third was a clumsy origin story. The middle was like watching a Let’s Play stream of the 2013 game. The last third turned into a zombie origin combined with some tired tomb traps and riddles. (I would love for someone to explain how the colored light trap actually worked.) Vikander was okay as an athlete but was a charmless Lara Croft. Goggins was Goggins, but the villain was bland and uninteresting.

It was worse, because somehow they found a way to make Walton Goggins as a bad guy , boring.

I was just about to reply to Telefrog and say, Goggins isn’t the bad guy?? What a waste of his time and talent!

Looks like there’s a sequel in the making, and who the hell wanted one of those…

Amy Jump is the co-writer/editor* of all things Ben Wheatley has done since Kill List.

…all right. You have my curiosity.

*and also his wife

Fuck yeah. Best movie of 2018.

I wouldn’t put much stock in an unsourced rumor that MGM is paying for scripts. That’s still a long way from ever going into production. That said, how cool would it be if the next Tomb Raider was another Wheatley/Jump collaboration? That might even make it worth sitting through another flat Vikander performance!

-Tom