Tom's coming back

Back when I was first waiting for Tom to reply to my request I didn’t worry about the time it took. I was more worried about what he’d say.

When I got the green light I felt like I had accomplished something.

Wow, you’re not kidding. The “defend thyself with angered typings of threatened friendship removal as your weapons of choice in the battle” line in particular is perfect as Comic Book Guy.

My e-mail validation to Tom was something like “Your Deus Ex Review LOL” and then he cleared me in a matter of days.

I didn’t make it that far.

I believe I am familiar with the events you deemed as being trolled.

He set the Comic Book Guy tone perfectly in the first sentence.

I’m still surprised Matt didn’t know/remember that Brad was involved with Sins, Brad posted and engaged with a lot of people here (in a good way!) when discussing that game.

I’ll take your word for it. I try not to read what’s on my ignore list. ;)

I’m glad at least some got my intended tone. :)

And I’m Wardell’s ignore list… I can live with that.

I should have remembered Stardock was involved with Sins, definitely. Oh well, may at least some of the dollars have gone to the developers!

Excellent news - I agree that’s when a lot of problems started.

I think it’s all misguided anyway and people tend to overreact about stupid things.

Kerfuffle about DRM software and Stardock? YAWN. Big deal.
Quotes of questionable context about political stuff? Whatever, we have P&R for that.
Elemental: Destiny’s Embers: THIS, on the other hand - burn in a thousand hells, this is to literature what Pol Pot was to humanitarianism AAAAARGH.

I mean, uh, whatever man.

But seriously - it’s really not that hard to not be a complete bungledouche to people. If someone’s done something that pisses you off or holds a view you disagree with - let it go, people. QT3 is large, we contain multitudes. I may not come from a position in the games industry other than Joe Average Consumer, but I really like reading some of the stuff that people who are in the industry have posted here. It’s given me more of an insight into how video games are designed and made and given me a better respect for “those geeks what make video games” than I had before I started posting here.

Could the place deal with a bit more moderation? Yeah, it could. Would we need it if people stopped being total choadmonglers far too often? We probably wouldn’t.

Obviously? I haven’t seen any noticable degradation in the signal/noise ratio since Tom left. I can’t say anything has improved either, the forums feel more or less like they did a year ago.

Not sure why you’d bother, Kalle. stusser has been challenged on that assertion several times, yet he continues to make it.

I think it’s more about spam overload than real people trying to join the forums. The noise is in the lap of stusser and Tom. As well there is the issue of why people join. I don’t envy Tom or stusser. They have their work cut out for them.

For those here who don’t know Mr. Smut (CJ) - he was one of the key guys on the EA sim team in Maryland, a Navy vet, and one of the reasons writing for CGW and CGM covering sims in the golden days of sims was such a wonderful experience.

And from the link he posted (for you old sim guys here) -

Andy Hollis, of Austin, Texas, was nearly a second behind overnight leader Tim Smith’s Toyo/Moton Honda Civic Si prior to the group moving to the East Course, which was designed by Hollis. Hollis took advantage of that knowledge to turn the fastest time of the day in class behind the wheel of the GRM/AST/PowerCurve/Soulspeed/JCAutoSpec Honda Civic Si and earn his third Solo National Championship.

Spam was open registrations, and Tom gets to most of it himself anyway. Signal/noise degredation primarily came from unbanned people purposefully shitting up posts and just a general drop in civility.

Are we reading the same forums? Not to be rude, but there really wasn’t any difference that I saw.

Bunch of people replied saying that. General civility is of course subjective on my part, but I don’t know how you could miss the threadshitters. Shrug.

I agree with you on things have gone somewhat downhill since the great unbanning.

Because the forums were civil and free from people shitting up posts when Tom was actively moderating. I wonder where you’d fit, say, Octonoo into that picture. Or for a real blast from the past, how about Met_K.

But not enough to make you leave, apparently. You know, as you said you would while you were busy predicting doom and disaster.

Yeah, all you have to do is look at the “Tom is Back” thread. Assholes a plenty jumped on the fuck Tom bandwagon.