Too much CGI? No, Doolittle!

This is the best thread derail of ALL TIME. No more discussion of the movie shall be had in here, obviously.

I don’t think I’ve ever been prouder of my daughter than when she did this at 8 years old…

pixies-doolittle-inlay

RIP Vaughan.

pack it up, everyone, @rrmorton’s daughter is the best in the world.

This is the way.

Glad we all agree! :D

Also, Come on Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa are two separate albums! Y’all who bought the combo CD were late to the party.

So… this is not a good movie.

It’s serviceable for families desperate enough to want to see a family movie but trying to avoid something as bad as say Peter Rabbit. The kids are generally going to like those animals a lot. I found many of the jokes stupid, the CGI okay, but the most distracting thing of all is Downey’s weirdo accent. It’s like they couldn’t decide what accent that character should have so they went with… that.

I’ve seen many worse movies, and the one who picked this movie for us said she liked it but… pretty sure it only took the sugar glider to sell it for her.

We… we really liked Peter Rabbit.

Yeah, my kids dug Peter Rabbit as well. The younger one is looking forward to the sequel, I think my eldest might have outgrown it.

Having said that, I’m hoping my kids don’t notice Doolittle is out and ask to go.

heh. My daughter and I were being subjected to the previews before Paddington2 and the Peter Rabbit trailer came on, which we watched with the goddam Odeon sound set to what had to be three notches past whatever is maximum wattage; I turned to her and looked right into her eyes and said with great conviction, “We will never. See. That movie.” And then turned back to the screen. I think I scared her a little.

Well you might like Dr. DooLittle then. I just don’t care for CGI animals that continuously run with just one gag, and the bulk of the humor in this is definitely for children. This, of course, is not necessarily a bad thing in a family movie. It’s just not one of those family movies that bridges well to the general audience, and it doesn’t have to be one of those, but clearly it could’ve been.

Do the animals talk? I really hate talking animals. Actually I don’t mind talking animals if they’re cartoony, but it rubs me the wrong way when they’re like real animals that they CGI flapping lips into.

All right, Babe is pretty cute. I’ll make an exception.

Yay! I recently rewatched the ending of Babe and it GETS ME EVERY TIME!

“Aw, beautifully done! I can’t tell you how grateful I am to y’all. Now for one last favor. If the three ladies with collars would kindly walk out of the ring, I’d be very much obliged.” :D

Well yes. It’s Dr. Doolittle, so it’s not so much the animals talk as it is Dr. DooLittle understands them. And since he understands them, the audience understands them. Insert recurring gags, human like complexes and personalities (one dimensional), and a kind of silly adventure headed by some sort of 10 year old noble lady, and viola, family movie tolerable to those who enjoy or just tolerate family movies.

Not really this though, if I understand what you’re asking. I mean sort of but it wasn’t so weird as that other low budget thing that used to go around, snow puppies?

We went to see this today and I called a last minute audible and we saw Jumanji 2 instead. Best decision I’ve ever made, apparently!

Jumanji 2 is a much better option, although it was some swears and more realistic violence/death.

It’s be such a shame if Downey exits Marvel only to pull a Drop.

So I worked on both Cats and Dog 2:Revenge of Kitty Galore, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and because we get free screenings, I’ve watched both and I’ll shit you not, they’re both super fun, despite being flappy mouth animal movies.

Mrs. Kub and I enjoyed it. It’s not great but any stretch, and better directing /editing could certainly have improved it) and definitely aims younger, but we felt that RDJ probably wanted /needed to do a light family film for his kids after being an action super hero and r-rated movie star for just about all of his life. Seeing him as the top executive producer adds to this feeling for us.