Top Gun: Maverick

Yeah it’s on my Netflix queue, I can just never remember that name because it sounds like a soap opera, not some epic bug killing adventure.

I love Edge of Tomorrow so much. It’s one of those really rare movies that I love watching again and again. I’m actually anticipating the lines, and the subtle changes, and oh man, that last line at the end in Paris when they’re in the final battle. I just love that movie. Definitely one of my all time top 10 as well.

You are literally living through the movie by continually rewatching the movie!

“I am the forum’s most respected overthinker, by far.”

By the time I finally saw Top Gun, I was unimpressed with its flying scenes. The bits where the pilots tried to get the green circles over the planes they were tailing: GOOD. The low altitude training flights: GOOD. The long shot in the end battle of the cluster of swooping jets: COOL if a little nonsensical. Goose ejecting: SAD (that goose was cooked). The sand volleyball game: IN THE NAVY (You can sail the seven seas!). Everything else: frenetic editing of jumbled mismatched images. I know jet combat wouldn’t lend itself to the kind of beautiful, terrifying furballs found in “Hell’s Angels”, but I couldn’t suspend my disbelief, never mind put an afterburner on it.

I hope Top Gun Part Deux can make any aerial fighting both make sense (what with the long engagement ranges of fighters and their missiles) and look rad. Has there been any modern conflicts where air superiority wasn’t a foregone conclusion?

In my brain, Top Gun and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off are inextricably tied together, because I remember my cousin and I sneaked into a theater to watch a double feature of those movies. That used to be much easier to do than it is now. It would be pretty fun to see a sequel to Ferris Bueller with a much older group now. Worrying over their 401k, getting the kids in a good college, taking geritol. What laughs we’d have!

Not that I’d condone it, but in every theater I’ve gone to recently, once you’ve scanned your ticket at the door, you can go in any theater you want. I’ve never had them check my ticket at the actual theater. I’d say that sneaking into movies is trivial these days.

My local movie theaters must still be in the stone ages, because the door to the actual screens are still guarded by angry teenagers.

The flying scenes were great except for that “I’ll hit the brakes and he’ll fly right by” BS.

I thought that was a Pugachev’s Cobra.

Maverick’s maneuver was cutting power, dropping the flaps and pitching up slightly, which I don’t believe is actually feasible. In any case Pugachev first demonstrated the Cobra, which involves a much more extreme angle of attack, at the 1989 Paris Air Show, which, of course, was well after the Top Gun movie.

It works wonders in speeder bike chases on the forest moon of Endor.

I think Pugachev’s cobra and similar maneuvers really only make sense for a one-on-one gun duel. Which is never going to happen again, most likely. Apparently it’s been almost 30 years since the last gun kill of an aircraft, and that was an A-10 vs. a helicopter. It doesn’t seem very likely to me that it would help at all to evade a missile. And just to make it worse if you use that kind of technique in a mass combat you will be a sitting duck for everyone else in the battlespace because you will have lost all your airspeed.

My guess is that it’s very loosely based on some maneuver that F-4 pilots did in Vietnam. The movie makes a little bit more sense if you imagine that they’re still using 1960s technology.

Howsabout the maneuver in RedTails?

This made me laugh because it’s probably as close to life as it would get.

https://twitter.com/USMarineCorps/status/1002370922836316160

btw looks like Cruise will be older in TG2 than Skerrit was during TG1.

And yet his love interest will almost certainly be younger than Kelly McGillis was during TG1.

At his age, Cruise should play the crotchety guy who spills the coffee on himself when Maverick does the fly by:

Best line in the whole movie:

“I want some butts!”

NO ICEMAN. NO SALE.