Top ten games of 2017

This is the first year that none of my ten favorite games were popular AAA titles from larger publishers (with the possible exception of my #9 pick). I liked plenty of popular AAA titles from larger publishers! Destiny 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Warhammer II, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Wolfenstein II, for instance. But there were at least ten games I liked better.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/12/31/top-ten-games-2017/

If only you played Divinity original sin 2 on the default difficulty level.

Happy New year Tom and thanks for all your great work in 2017.

Endless Space 2 was the game that convinced me that 4X games are not for me anymore.

I have no complaints per se. I just found that I really, really didn’t want to play it. Even for free.

Ouch. Sadly it’s not even the best 4X released in the last year.

Yeah, it’s not really specific to Endless Space 2. I’ve just been getting less and less engaged by games in the genre and things that other people swear are phenomenal (like Endless Legend) have pretty much bounced off. I don’t think it’s necessarily the games’ fault, just a change in my tastes.

I came to the same realization a few years ago. I haven’t looked back.

I hit the wall with 4x games when I tried civ6 for 2 hours and received a refund…realizing, I had played this same genre for 26 years…(1991 was when civ 1 was released and the first 4x game i played)

Which was?

As far as the list goes, I guess there’s only one response:

Thanks, Donald.

As usual, I have not much in common with Tom’s tastes. As usual, what a lovely piece of writing. It also enlightened me about why I enjoyed the games I did last year. Thanks Tom, I wish you a happy and more importantly a healthy new year.

The last few paragraphs were very moving. Bravo!

Always a fun read. I’ve not played a single one of the games nominated but once again that’s beside the point. I came here ten plus years ago because I enjoyed Tom’s articles in CGW and CGM and I’ve stuck around because I’ve enjoyed the company this place affords. So, here’s to your health Tom, and thanks for keeping on keeping on.

Beautiful write-up for Agents of Mayhem, Tom. Just like your Massive Chalice entry, hearing how these games effected you on such a personal level really elevates this site from your colleagues.

Thanks for the lists and happy new year, QT3!

P.S. Very cool new ninja avatar!

Great read!

Yep, I’ve lurked here for years and really enjoy the QT3 community in general, but I have absolutely nothing in common with Tom’s taste in games. Which is perfectly fine and sort of helpful in a way.

In all seriousness, Happy New Year Tom and QT3, may it be a great one.

Fair. I used to love point-and-click adventure games, now I can’t stand 'em.

For me, it’d be Stars in Shadow followed by Dawn of Andromeda.

Damn, that was one of the last remaining space game names available. What are developers going to do now?

Great list , except for AoM. ;)

Glad you found enjoyment in a few games this year, we are all blessed to have so many to pick from.

Thank you, Mr Chick. This is one fine and opening perspective.

Wonderful read Tom. I’m so happy you’re in a stable place. When things are in the crapper one of the things we lose is our source of normalcy. Things that used to bring us joy, instead remind of us what we used to be and make things even harder at times when one wishes they could just let their mind be happy for a bit.

If I had Hand of Fate 2 I’d probably enjoy it as much as you do. Don’t have any of the other games except Injustice 2 which makes my head spin.