Torchlight 2

First impressions from about 30 minutes of play. Wish I could crank saturation/contrast a bit on the display.

Using engineer. The big cannons are fun but I’m constantly missing the monster with my left click and running right into the middle of a mob when I wanted to blast them.

If I hold down ‘shift’ then my character stays put but he won’t fire the weapon. He will still use melee attacks though with a right click.

I didn’t change any hotkeys (yet). Is this a bug or am I missing a control feature? Do I need to remap ‘fire gun’ to right click or something?

Not demo, idiots
Pogo shits the thread, angry
Diablo stress test

1. Is there a button to ‘autosort’ the items in bag?
  2. Tooltip compare of equipped weapons/armor vs what you have moused over is very nice but is it possible to put in the tooltip of the item the difference of +/i in stat(s) vs worse/better?

My whole life I’ve had but one dream- to get into the torchlight 2 beta. Some day…some way…

There’s a key for us…
Somewhere, a key for us…

I agree, I would like to get the respec guy back. Respecs should be free until level 10, then a graduated cost based upon level.

Another thing I really like about TL2 is the movement speed. You really feel like you’re boogying along. It’s not pokey. They really got that right.

I’m confused - how are you melee attacking with a cannon equipped?

If you shift left click it should fire.
If you Ctrl left click it should fire or approach ONLY if you have a target.

Played for a bit more. I think monster respawning does need an adjustment. Once I clear an area, it seems to stay cleared for much too long. At least the outdoors areas should respawn faster.

tee hee

Sorry. I’m bored, since I didn’t check the thread while the keys were being given out.

Sometimes the sprite darter that drops keys is halfway across the map from the chest.

Attack Only Valid Unit does what you want (CTRL by default)

Now that shit is deep.

Has anyone dealt with the download status being “unable to download metafile”? I’ve reinstalled a number of times and every time I launch I get the same message. I really wanted to give this a go this weekend.

Keep checking back at this thread: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23847

If I switched to melee, then shifting and right clicking works. That may be because I had the default melee fire spell engaged though which was triggering a melee attack.

In any case, shift + left click really does do not attack at all no matter what range or what I click on.

Control + left click does work for the most part. It’s not a real plant though and my character still sometimes run up next to an enemy instead. I guess they run into range? Though sometimes they do run right next to enemies. can shots be blocked by walls? Maybe my character is running around to get an angle?

Not sure about respecs - I can appreciate games that go either way. I don’t necessarily need to respect every single skill except at great cost – if I can just move one point per level up around, I could get rid of that skill I never use at least.

Melee ranges are pretty short.

Of course shots can be blocked by walls, and yes your character will run to get into a position to fire at something if you use CTRL+Click and are blocked by a wall. This is called gameplay.

That makes sense. There are times when I just want to stay exactly where I am and fire if possible and having my character run into the middle of a group means insta-death.

Does shift+left click work for other people? I can shift+right click skills like fireball or whatever. Just not the main gun attacks with left+click, no matter the range.

It’s worked on ranged weapons that I’ve played with, though only briefly on the Outlander.

I feel - preliminary impression- like normal mode is too easy (most mobs get one or two shot!), and veteran is too frustrating (for me). Let me flesh that out a bit. Apart from personal taste, the gap just seems too large.

On veteran at the Mordok boss, on my berserker, I basically can’t win. I came in with like 6-7 potions and very little gold because it was fairly difficult up to that point. Once I get to the boss itself, his HP is insane plus a crapton of respawning adds and I’m done. I was able to kill him only after turning it to normal and also farming up some potions.

On normal on Mordok, on my ranged engineer, I came in with 23 health potions, 19 mana potions and like 5k gold, because of how easy it was. I didn’t even buy any of these potions. Out of curiosity, I switched it to veteran before trying to kill Mordok. I had to chug every single one of those potions to get him down.

So ceterus paribus (same character and build), normal to veteran seems like a big big jump in difficulty.

Apart from that, ranged - on engineer at least- feels way more powerful than the berserker, after I switched back to Veteran on both. Thanks to stun + knockback + a very high default running speed, I can kite almost forever with autoattack, not even spending mana except sometimes to forcefield or throw down a big cannon burst. On the berserker, I’m always running out of mana and chugging pots. I went with what I thought was a fairly sensible build, pumping Dex and Vit and going with the heal-on-crit passive, + the wolf attack and turn into wolf skills. The self healing doesnt seem to make up for the difference though.

The problem of course is that there are a billion variables and tastes to account for.

Today I found a Squirrel of Enchanting. I didn’t ask questions, my engineer just handed over his massive weapon to the critter, and let her enchant it a few times.

That thing lasted me 5 levels, it was so dramatically overpowered at that point.

Of all the classes, I have to say that Engineer seems to be really tough to kill. I like to go with passive skills in these sorts of games, so I’ve been tricking him out with defensive skills + putting every point I can into the Heal Bot. Currently, he’s carrying around 40+ healing pots, because he so rarely heals himself.

I hit level 11 with my engineer , has anyone noticed the item drops seem to be very ‘light’ on engineer weapons? Other than my starting wrench, the only thing I’ve seen drop for him was a single weak-ass hammer, and like 7 cannons… Tons of swords, ax’s,wands, staffs, bows / crossbows.

I went to the armor guy, and even he is only selling 2-3 single handed hammers (two white, one green) that are barely better than the one I got as loot.

Anyone get further along and get better drops? I would assume there are more wrench ,hammer, dual handed hammer drops as the game goes on.

I try to stay in character, so I don’t want to be using ax’s or swords…

Armor drops have been ok, as I still sort of look like an engineer, with a strange hat. :p

I have like 4 pieces of high level engineer-only equipment sitting in my stash.