Torchlight 3 - We Used To Be Friends, A Long Time Ago

No kidding. I’m starting to suspect the big news better translates too “All the trappings of a gacha game, but with a $30 price tag.”

I’m sure I’m overreacting.

In January they did switch from a F2P game to a regular “premium” sequel to v 1 and 2. Maybe this is just a stress test for their servers?

Yup, I’m gonna wait as well. I can’t do spontaneous multiplayer with randos.

Okay - it seems you actually CAN play singleplayer, but its online, and you can see people in the Hub areas.

At least, thats what I gather from the steam fora right now.

No, it isn’t. This is commonplace for games with a strong multiplayer component, so there aren’t people running around with endgame gear (or otherwise way ahead of other players) at launch. Likewise, there are bound to be exploits (like duping items) that get exploited along the way

Well, as a single player gamer, I don’t really care about that? So - a game that does HAVE single player, should probably be able to work around that, and have separate characters for multi and single player games.

Still seems agressively silly to me.

I feel like waiting for the 1.0 version might be the best option. :)

Aye ,that does look more and more like a good idea.

I am also pretty wary of games coming from Perfect World. They tend to be monetized aggressively (Neverwinter comes to mind).

Yeah, I never agreed with Diablo 3’s decision to place the integrity of (coop!) multiplayer with random strangers over the solo experience, or even just playing with people you know and can trust not to be dicks. Which is the only way I would ever play coop.

If they’re replicating that decision with Torchlight 3, I feel like that ends any advantage the franchise had over the competition. Hopefully it’s just for early access or a stress test or whatever.

Diablo 3 is an odd case because it has changed so much since release & on different platforms. The PC / Mac version for sure still has lots of suck-tactic on-line only junk. The console ports (PS4, Switch,etc) are better in EVERY way except performance since they CAN play just fine offline.

Diego

I am interested in Torchlight 3.

Also, I want to praise the Dandy Warhols reference in the thread title.

Carry on!

I’ll do some recon on this one. I’m itching for a new ARPG… So far my experience is: “Error, cannot connect to server.”

Error 37 ?

EDIT: I got in. There was a temporary server issue at the start which seems fixed now? So far action is smooth, no lag, and very Torchlight =)

Nah. I’m out for now. I’m interested, but I’ll wait to see what offline singleplayer looks like later.

This is true. Ive been testing for over a year now. Ive played solo mostly. It is online only however, so if thats a hangup for ya look elsewhere. Shrug, im ok with that and kinda dig it.

They claimed you could play offline in their January press release.

For one box-price, you will own the game and be able to play the way that you want, online or off.

Maybe that is coming later? Lots of launch issues with servers. Hope they get ironed out soon.

Yeah, it’s getting raked over the coals on Steam’s reviews (mostly negative) for numerous issues, including people not seeing this was a multiplayer only EA before buying. Seems a bit unfair to be so harsh on what appears to be a limited EA. Then again if you are going to charge people to test your game when it’s not close to being ready, maybe they deserve it?

Yeah, but people should look at the page before they buy and it’s rare for an online game to NOT have server issues in day 1. I think it’s stupid to not give them a chance to fix things before leaving a review, but they paid for it, so I guess it is their right.