Torment: Tides of Numenera

I had NO IDEA this was turn-based. I was already in, as I really like the setting and Pillars of Eternity, but turn-based combat? Man, someone read my diary.

I did, yeah. You’re very dull.

Haha then you missed the hidden black light text! :)

Boy I hope that was written with lemon juice…

Where’s my hand santizer?! /panics

BTF’s elementary school crush confirmed as the love interest.

Before or after she had like 3 kids and a DUI and gained like 80lbs?

P.S. Facebook is depressing these days. At least I was always fat!

Torment’s project director, Kevin Saunders, has left InXile. It doesn’t exactly sound like an amicable split.

With the major creative and production decisions now resolved, and the team charging full speed toward completing the game, inXile and I have decided it is time for me to depart from the studio. I am proud of the project that I’m leaving in capable hands, and while I do not know what I’ll do next, I look forward to new challenges and opportunities.

It has been a privilege and an honor to help craft this game for - and with - all of you. I thank you for having given me the opportunity to lead this truly extraordinary title.

He’s being replaced by Chris Keenan, Wasteland 2’s Project Lead.

Disappointing. Saunders was on Mask of the Betrayer previously, as well as KOTOR2.

Sacked, then.

His exit certainly gives me doubts about Tides of Numenera, if I might say so.

Even moreso in my case since I wasn’t that wild about Wasteland 2. Still, they’ve already got my money so not much I can do about it.

Yeah, Project Lead being pushed out (note that Keenan says nothing at all about Saunders in his portion of the write-up) alongside an extremely open-ended delay don’t say great things to me about the project’s current status. Fingers crossed this manages to be good in the end, however.

Not enough details to speculate. I agree that the language suggests he was fired; so why do you fire a project lead? It likely isn’t because they’re delivering to their milestones and driving the team to achieve. In my experience, it’s just the opposite - and because it(firing) is disruptive, it’s usually a last resort.

As a backer, i’m not terribly concerned and for now i’m still trusting them. It seems that the game is still developing nicely(while slower than anticipated) and I’m in no particular rush for a launch date…

Again, really tough to speculate given the lack of details. It’s absolutely possible that he was working perfectly and this is a ‘vision’ thing, or he did something inappropriate at the office, or started using meth…

One thing that doesn’t bode well is that Chris Keenan was supposed to be project lead on Bard’s Tale IV.

In other news, Inxile just opened a New Orleans satellite studio, which they expect to house up to 50 new developers over the course of five years.

Maybe it’s simple. Maybe they have the budget for one project lead, and with the consolidation of two project teams, one project lead drew the short straw. Or his counterpart had more and better friends with the company.

Sounds like a downgrade to me.

It sounds to me this is normal for KS projects, were the budget is super tight and can’t afford to waste paying two devs in the same role when one can do, so one had to go.

And you determined that how?

The phrasing of “inXile and I have decided it is time for me to depart from the studio” does not suggest he chose to leave of his own volition. The fact that he as of yet does not have a followup job also suggests that he was not planning to leave before being asked to (unless KickStarted Project Leads make a lot more than I figure they do, I figure the average guy in his position wouldn’t choose to land up income-less if he had the choice at all).

Less formally, on twitter, his passing was marked by a couple of low-rankers and one story guy bidding him adieu; the official twitter account (Brian Fargo’s, bizarrely enough) didn’t even remark on the changeover.

So, yeah. This doesn’t feel like Mr. Saunders going to his bosses and saying “Y’know, guys, I think it would be very good for me and also for you if I were not here anymore” and them saying “Man, sorry to hear that, but if it genuinely improves your life, sure thing, boss!”

I don’t subscribe to the “pushed out the door” theory because I dislike or doubt Mr. Saunders, nor do I revel in the possibility. But in reading between the lines, it’s the only conclusion I can come to, so merely as someone who’s excited about the game, I’m a little sad to think it may have gone down that way, and what sorts of things might have led up to that point.