Torment: Tides of Numenera

It doesn’t even need beginner level Berlitz classes in corporate speak to see.

Assertion /= evidence

The fact that the project head is leaving when a major delay is being announced points to this not being a run-of-the-mill studio departure. Either he was fired due to the project going way off schedule, or he left and the new guy did a project assessment and realized how screwed they were before.

Wait, there was never any real chance this was coming out THIS year, right? Was this even a delay?

It was originally scheduled for 12/2014 during the KS itself (which, recall, ended in April of 2013). Obviously blowing past their funding goal so significantly lead to them expanding the vision a lot, so a delay until December 2015 was announced sometime last year (I forget when exactly and don’t really wanna dig through 40 KS updates, but I’m like 90% sure it’s there).

Of course, given the fact that alpha/beta systems tests/slices are still the furthest anyone’s seen it go, December 2015 has been looking mighty unlikely for awhile, but this update just acknowledged the obvious truth: it’s getting delayed more.

Ah, gotcha. Well, that’s a bummer, but honestly I would rather it came out when it was ready (of course). Still, I feel for those waiting since the KS - I didn’t realize so much time had passed!

Hell, at this point, I just want to see if anyone can possibly make the Numenera ruleset not-terrible and downplay the I’m 14 And This Is AWESOME elements of the campaign setting ;)

But nah, I really like Pillars of Eternity and can’t wait to get some time to finish it, but so far, the plot’s not grabbed me in the sort of way that Baldur’s Gate–much less Planescape–did by the end. If Torment can pull off something even in the same area code as the original PST, I’ll be over the moon no matter how long it takes.

In any case, I think I will wait for the eventual now practically obligatory Director’s Cut Edition!

Maybe. Those lately have been hit or miss when it comes to quality vs. the original.

This is one of those things I kickstarted and forgot about. Occasionally I remember when I get an email but most of the time I have no idea it exists.

FYI: Backer beta is now available for eligible kickstarters. Check your inxile accounts for keys.

Are any of you backers in the beta allowed to give impressions? That would be nice if so. I was thinking of backing but the rewards were sort hard to se in a first flyby of the website. I’m not sticking in $145 for a beta … I probably read that wrong.

Wish my gaming habits were like they were in the 90s. I’d have plenty of time for betas. Now, I’m lucky to play a slim percentage of the released games let alone spend any time in alphas/betas, no matter how much I’d want to. The incentive would have to flow the other way for that! ;)

Looks like this hit Steam Early Access today.

EA Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9sS00tIho

Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/272270/

I watched a small piece of a live stream and from what I saw, this looks like it has some serious potential to be great. I’ll probably pick it up to help support the game (I didn’t Kickstart it, hell I never even played the original Torment, though I always meant to) but I don’t think I’ll play it until launch, unlike PoE. Though I said the same thing about PoE, too.

You MUST rectify that. Like, RIGHT NOW.

LOL, yeah, I know. It came out at a time I was pretty burned out on Infinity Engine games, and then time just slipped past me. A few (5?) years back I got BG and BG2 on GOG when they first popped up there, and blew through them all in a whirlwind 120+ hours of amazing fun, I should have grabbed it then. I still don’t even own it!

It looks…glorious. sniff

Btw, you really should play Planescape: Torment, if you’re at all interested in it. It holds up really well, imo.

I might, too many games coming in the very near future though, but $10 on GOG isn’t too hard to pull off, and I book marked a handy guide for modding it with some must have stuff from widescreen and UI updates (for wide screen) and some fan patch stuff.

PS:T is one of vanishingly few games that impacted me emotionally, which is one way to say-- it’s art. Without a doubt. Play it.

Torment’s one of those RPGs, along with Arcanum, where I absolutely loathe the regular gameplay but the setting/story/writing keeps me going. And if anyone tries to tell you that you can just talk your way through all of it your first time through they’re lying. LYING! That’s like saying you can get through Fallout 1 without fighting anyone. Technically you can, but it requires a degree of metagame knowledge you won’t have your first time through.
Higher resolution may do a lot to help with the gameplay, though. If you’re running it at native everything’s ridiculously squished up close, especially compared to playing BG/IWD native. There are still other aspects that would be annoying in the regular gameplay (Lookin’ at you, ridiculously long spell animations), but I do remember that being one of the worst for me.

Still, excited to see how this pans out. Even though Wasteland 2 let me down. And even though this has absolutely nothing to do with PST. Didn’t back it at the beta level so I’ve got to sit on my hands until it launches.