Torment: Tides of Numenera

I mean, you can just buy the game now and NOT play in the beta. It’s not costing extra to get into the beta any more, that was a Kickstarter option for those that wanted to support the game’s development AND wanted the ability to play in Early Access, it’s a $45 game now AND at launch. You can either buy it now or later, and if you buy it now you CAN provide feedback to have your voice heard if you have things you’d like addressed or changed.

I kickstarted for $20, so its a moot point for me. I guess I just wanted to say that people who think differently to me are wrong and should feel bad.

Genuinely shocked at the amount of people who haven’t played PS:T.

I would agree, it’s a piece of art. It struck me emotionally too.

Those concerned about age affecting how it holds up; get the wide-screen mod, enjoy it in glorious HD.

It won’t solve some of the clunkiness but the story makes up for all that.

I played and definitely enjoyed it, but I do have to admit it didn’t age well. HD would have been nice, but does that mod also fix the default “zoom” level? I always felt like the viewport was really cramped and I’d like to see more of my surroundings.

Here’s a screenshot of PS:T at 1680x1050. It’s zoomed way out. 1080p would be the same zoom, just wider.

Ido Ru uploaded this image to

GOG has a mod guide.

I think I used the biggest font available (was on 1680x1050), felt just about right. I wish Fallout 2 widescreen mod had that option :(.

Mmm I played PS:T as the same resolution, using the mod that recompiles the graphics to the resolution you want. And I could swear it wasn’t that zoomed out.
But my memory isn’t to be trusted.

If that mod “recompiled” graphics, it probably preserved the zoom and just made everything huge and blurry. This one works differently.

Photobucket link not working. Curious to see it.

Works here but you can just google ‘planescape torment widescreen’ and get lots of hits in various resolutions. It basically works on pixel by pixel basis, same as FO1/2 widescreen mod or SimCity 4 ws mod. You can arbitrarily increase the viewable area in all directions.

Release pushed to Q1/2017.

Those of you who have been following our updates know we have been hinting towards a late 2016 release, and we could crunch and rush to get the game out around November. But doing so would mean both sacrificing the quality of our localization and would lead to a less polished game for the nearly 100,000 people total who have backed the game. Therefore, in the interests of giving everyone the best experience, we will be releasing Torment in early Q1 2017.

Just saw that. Not unexpected, but they’ve sugar-coated it by opening up the beta to everybody who has the game in their pledge. I’d rather just wait for the finished thing.

Goddammit, you beat me to the punch, JD. What I get for reading the email first. . . :P

Nonetheless, looks like we’ll have had a nice, long 4-year wait for the game by the time it’s all said and done. Four years in which (IMO), the system in question hasn’t remained universally beloved and in which a number of competitors have released games in a similar mold, to various degrees of success. Hopefully the team at inXile have put the time to good use to distance themselves a little from the base game and from the competition in order to create something truly special :)

Hey, but everyone gets access to the beta!

To thank you for sticking with us, we are making Torment’s beta version available to everyone who’s getting the game with their rewards, right now.

We have had the beta available to backers at certain pledge levels since January, and now we think the time is right to open it up to everyone else who backed us during the Kickstarter. I know some of you would prefer to wait for the final game, but if you want to have a taste and help us make the game better, you will be able to play the game’s first act in Sagus Cliffs right away.

To get your Steam beta key, please login to the Torment web site with your backer account and visit the Rewards page. Look for the “Manage Keys” button on your reward package and follow the steps there, then redeem the key on Steam as usual.

Confirmed: Techland (Dead Island series) will be the publisher for Torment.

Torment will be coming to PS4 and Xbox One.

I hope there is a way to upgrade our kickstarter copies instead of having to get another copy.

I guess this is their primer video to explain the setting:

Earth one billion years in the future? Won’t our sun be a red giant by then devouring the inner planets including Earth? Is it too late to get my money back?

The official campaign setting actually addresses your concern . Evidently, technology advanced enough to prevent the sun from going nova. It is a really fascinating campaign world and I’m really looking forward to the full release of the PC game.