Torment: Tides of Numenera

I forwarded this video to myself a while back but only just watched it. It’s rare trailers get me pumped on their own but, man, that’s one of them. What a cool premise. I’m getting dark Planescape: Torment notes but with a punch of something different.

I also hear this is turn-based which is music to my ears after Pillars of Eternity. I know that was real-time pause but I just found it so unwieldy and fiddly. I also ended up nicknaming it Pillows of Eternity because I found it so boring. Sorry to all the fans out there! I got a chuckle out of it at least! :-)

I didn’t care much for PoE, either. Apparently the second city in PoE was a stretch goal? (That’s where I stopped playing.) It’s becoming rather apparent that stretch goals aren’t such a hot idea when it comes to video games. I was just reading how Torment was unable to reach some of their stretch goals. Hopefully we get a better game because of that.

CDKeys.com has this for $25, considerably less than SRP and the price direct from Steam or GOG. Just sayin’.

I had a gifted copy from Kinguin get revoked on me, I don’t trust those grey markets, especially at those crazy low prices (50% off for a game that isn’t even out yet?) - and I never will again. No thanks. Plus, if anyone here cares about supporting games they love, avoid places like CDKeys, is my suggestion.

Of course, $25 is a great deal, so I don’t blame anyone for biting, but also be aware my cousin never did get even credit for the revoked keys. They are still “working on it”.

CDKeys appears to be more legitimate than most - I’ve never had a problem with them. Admittedly, even for them, this is an unusually deep discount.

From what I understand, Kinguin is a horse of a different color.

If you pay an extra buck for purchase protection on Kinguin, it’s supposed to protect you from such things.

LOL, I’m sure.

I did tonight and played a few hours. Man, there’s a lot of cool ideas just in the first couple areas. And I was a bit skeptical of the system but it’s working fairly well so far. Levelling seems meaningful and skill challenges are handled in a pretty smart way. Although, maybe it’s just my approach, but I haven’t found a lot to spend Might on yet and a -ton- of Intelligence based checks. (I’m playing a nano, so Might is definitely my dump stat, but I still have a few points of it that are sitting there unused.)

Holy Jesus, I kickstarted this and completely forgot that I did. Downloading now! I haven’t played a game in months due to a cross-country move and then a several weeks trip out of the country. I’m happy that this will be the first game I’ve tried in quite some time!

Downloaded, went through the intro, made my character, chatted with the first NPC, and the conversation ended with him saying “what in the hells is that?” and a red something or other appeared. Then the game crashed to desktop. I hope this is part of the experience! It’d really be pretty great if it was.

I’ll try again in the morning.

Played for about 90 minutes this morning, I was hoping to get further than I did when doing some testing, and the game was very different from the get go in terms of what quests I could pick up and how things turned out. Very different, right from the start. I am impressed.

The people I’ve talked to, the history I’ve soaked in, the stories I stumbled into have been magical, and I only just started. I can’t wait to see how things go from here. Hell, I went to talk to two specific characters in the first area to get a cool amulet I got in early access, only to have them behave completely differently than when I spoke to them last game, to the point where I got a quest instead from them. I don’t know if that’s due to choices I made during character creation or what though, I’m hoping the answer to that question is made clear when I complete the quest, however I’m going to accomplish that little task.

I backed this, and then essentially forgot about it (my standard MO with KS games). Downloaded it this morning before work, and will check it out this afternoon. With no real expectations, and only a somewhat hazy if fond recollection of the original, I am going in with pretty much a clean slate.

Nice! For some reason I thought this came out in March. Like my man Wombat I don’t have time to play until after work. Sigh.

Disobeying my own rule here…buying on release…:O

I backed the Bards Tale KS at the level where I’d get a copy of this too, now to figure out if I was supposed to get it now or when BT comes out. Will have to look into that tonight. Sounds cool so far!

Pretty sure you can redeem it now on the site.

Writing here is pretty good. I’m not usually one for lore dumps but my mind went into overdrive when I was talking with those two men by the giant octopus in the cage. I could actually picture the events in my head, I don’t know if it’s because of the way it was written or because I started this character with the intention of soaking up knowledge (scholarly type). In any case, it’s far more enjoyable than the lore dumps I’ve had to wade through recently (PoE, Tyranny, etc).

The only thing that bothers me is that the game looks a little blurry, including the text. It’s not always present so I don’t know what’s causing it.

Are you on PC or PS4?

I see a thread with a handful of users talking about this on Steam, sounds like a bug in Unity (I have seen blurry text in PoE as well from time to time). I don’t know if it will help, but try playing in a Windowed mode?

That sounds like something that pops up with Windows 10 DPI scaling. You can disable app specific DPI scaling for each exe using the Compatibility tab under its properties.

Of course you would think any game released today would take that into account, so maybe not.

Also - God damn, that’s a short game. My entire playthrough was about 20 seconds.