Torment: Tides of Numenera

Maybe check your video settings? It looked good on my end. Also, I find the animations to be mesmerizingly good, but maybe ymmv?

This is a bad game to play before work, I lost 40 minutes in the blink of an eye.

Bought, and did that first section, and then managed to set my character up with very high intelligence (9) and a (Wizard?) type guy. I did that because I think most encounters in this game don’t require combat, right?

Anyway, it feels less like a game and more like an interactive novel. That’s not a complaint, I’ve been looking for a good book to read?

Just killed the first Sorrow tendrils (the things escaping into my mind looked cool). I am, and shall continue, playing this slowly, with plenty of tea, in 1-2 hr chunks, no rush or urgency.

Graphics wise, nothing special for me. No complaints either, e.g. regarding the text.

Am quietly impressed so far but feel I could have had more information on what the classes do. Will figure that out later, and I am sure they’ll be a re-spec option further down the line.

I quite liked the mirror images gimmick for choosing your class.

Anyway, I am an English teacher and I wouldn’t inflict this game on any of my students lol, but it is a golden opportunity to actually learn new vocabulary, away from (often dry) textbooks etc.

As far as I can tell, the map is just a map. Can’t even click on it to recenter the camera to that spot.

I agree the animations look really good to me but why is your light red/pink? Mine was bright white. Hmmmm…

Might have something to do with dominant tide? Mine was white too I think, and if I remember correctly I got some silver tide points on my way to the mirrors.

Mine was white, until I interacted with the bowl, then it was red.

If the strength roll is successful you move the bowl and everything is white. If the strength roll fails you cut yourself when you move the bowl and everything turns red.

Characters and quests in this game are so captivating. I genuinely look forward to each new NPC I talk to, no matter how minor they are. There’s always an interesting backstory just around the next corner. It’s complete opposite of the conversation slogs that other rpgs tend to drown you in in their respective cities.

This is the only reason why I want to wait instead of jumping in. An in-game codec is coming in a future patch, I believe. I’d rather play it once that’s part of the game.

Where did you see this? I’d love it, but I thought it was going to be a stand alone?

I don’t remember specifics. I thought someone in this thread mentioned waiting for an in-game codec and I jumped on that idea as well.

I thought the dev team specifically changed their strategy on the codec due to resources and went with the out-of-game codec.

The Tyranny codec was great. The devs clearly had fun with it, Voices-of-Nerat even talks to you through it.

My god, I have to find time to play this, but when? Maybe @TimJames is right, I should stop buying games. But no, that’s crazy talk. Can’t stop.

Why do you even need to know? It’s a lot more interesting to figure out what the hell is happening on your own.

That is how Divine Divinity and Warhammer Online did it, in both cases, awesome.

So I am already questioning my first real decisions, whether to fight or deceive what look to be scavengers (deceit) and then who to follow (chose none as both seemed…devious and deceitful).

I avoided the alpha/beta phases just to be surprised at what the final product is and whoa, this isn’t what I expected at all (in a good way, after an initial 90 minutes). The first major crisis event that offered multiple ways to proceed from combat to conversation to using the environment was intense and satisfying. Too, the setting is so different and weird that it just pulls me in. Reading isn’t daunting to me, and refreshing considering there isn’t a lot of it in games these days. I hope it continues to be as engrossing as it is now. Like a breath of fresh air.

That hit me too lol. Fwiw I chose to talk my way out and was glad later on that I made that decision.

The NPC writing in this game is soooo good. There’s profound sadness to so many of them, so I naturally gravitated from blue to gold tide over time, it just felt right.

Cheers @Bateau, this is exactly why I enjoyed Planescape: Torment so much and just what I wanted to hear.