Torment

“Don’t trust the skull” coincides with Memento’s “Don’t trust JG” (or whatever the initials were).

The Nameless One has his memories (results from his past lives) tattooed on his skin. In Memento the guy has his memories (written words from his forgotten past) carved on his skin.

I think there are more parallels too but I’ve forgotten them.

Know the story of Sammy Jankis. Zerthimon came to know Sammy when working as an insurance agent. Sammy had been in an accident with the illithids. Sammy once knew the ways of accountancy, but the accident left him unable to know what he had just seen. Know that a mind divided divides the accountant.

You have just unlocked the 3rd Circle of Wisdom.

One of you is lying.

A spiritual sequel would be nice. The other interesting DND world out now seems to be Ghostwalk. Same guy who did Planescape.

If I remember my CGW history correctly there was a sidebar in there about how PT was announced within a couple days of Sanitarium (which I hear was also a very good game). The design team was apparently kind of antsy about announcing a “memory man” type game right after another amnesiac title was announced.

Funny that then a couple years later Memento comes along with it’s Dude-what-played-Cypher-In-Matrix sidekick that even sounds a little like Morte (Didn’t the sidekick in Memento even call the main character “chief” all the time, same as Morte?

Actually the thing that’s really interesting to me about it all is thatt all 3 examples, Torment, Sanitarium and Memento are all considered really good productions. I saw Memento, and loved it. I’m liking Torment immensely, though I’m on an XBox hiatus from my PC at the moment. If I see Sanitarium peeking out at me from a bargain bin in the near future I’ll snag it, too. Well, if I can remember to…

“Don’t trust the skull” coincides with Memento’s “Don’t trust JG” (or whatever the initials were).

The Nameless One has his memories (results from his past lives) tattooed on his skin. In Memento the guy has his memories (written words from his forgotten past) carved on his skin.

I think there are more parallels too but I’ve forgotten them.[/quote]

Severe Spoilers

Your comparison between Memento and Torment is an interesting one, Brian. I don’t agree with all of it, but it’s still kinda interesting. I guess the main reason I don’t associate Memento and Planescape so strongly is because of the main characters. Nameless One succeeds at discovering his past by the end of the game (AFAIK, this is common to all endings), and his character arch ends with closure to his long long life. Memory man from Memento has even less of a past than he started the movie with; he finds out that Sammy Jankis is a lie and his wife isn’t even dead. And then he forgets it. Again. The ending of the movie is sad to me because Pierce’c character truly has no past, no identity, and no closure. He is an aimless, dangerous, wanderer.

I can definetly see a connection between Teddy and Morte. Maybe Teddy was Morte’s mortal form :) Hey, in the overarching contstruct that is the world of Planescape, it could happen.

We didn’t think much of the Sanitarium comparisons, honestly. I think some people mentioned it at the time, but our feeling was that it (memory) was a fairly conventional plot device and people tend to really only focus on something being derivative/similar if it’s not done very well.

Sanitarium is a very cool game. :)

[quote=“Reeko”]

One of you is lying.[/quote]

How hard was it to do a Search under Brian Koontz? Sheesh

Ah, I looked in the Planescape:Torment forums, not the Memento forums.

And how cool is it that Annah is voiced by Sheena Easton? Pretty cool.

Time to revive this thread.

I got the tattoo today on my right shoulder. The big black and white one, with the added twist of the mane of hair parting and going around my arm below the blade thingy. Well, most of it anyway, I have a second appointment scheduled where they’ll do the last part. It was pretty easy, didn’t hurt much. Takes a hell of a lot of time and money though, which is why I won’t be getting another anytime soon.

I might post a pic of it when it’s done, if I can get a photo digitized and find someplace on the web to put it. Or I might just put it up on WASTE.

NWN has been out for a while now, maybe some enterprising soul(s) can try to make a PS mod for it.

Kalle I’ve got webspace if you want to email me the pic

I won’t be e-mailing it to you anytime soon. It’ll be two weeks before I finish the tattoo, and then a week or so before it heals I suspect. The offer is much appreciated though, I’ll let you know when I have a pic ready.

A quick hint on healing…

If you keep a nice fresh layer of neosporin (2-3 times daily) over the new tat for the first few days it won’t scab up, and you won’t lose the ink that usually gets lost when the scab drops off. It makes a noticable difference over the life of the tattoo, and it makes the healing process much more pleasant.

(Don’t use Vitamin E, btw, as it causes a different form of healing where the body pushes out the “damaged” tissue.)

Yeah, Neosporin is da bomb. Don’t know about tats, but good for just about every other type of wound or topical infection.

minor spoiler*

Say, there is one place in Torment where I get stuck. The undertaker in the section with the seige tower and the warehouse. I can’t get him to talk to me about anything that’ll lead me to the box in the warehouse. Is there a trigger here that I missed?

Have you gotten the quest for the coffin pillow yet? The conversation won’t appear until you have that quest. If you are on that quest and can’t get the conversation then I don’t know, it could be a bug.

I could never fulfill the Byron Pikit is a crook quest because I don’t get the right conversation at the warehouse: “I gave Pikit the laugh” or whatever it is just doesn’t come up.

I have never heard of neosporin, and I suspect it is not available in Sweden. I did get some salve from the tattoo parlor that I’m supposed to rub on the tattoo three times a day, along with a leaflet with instructions for proper healing so I think I’m all set there.