Total War: Warhammer 2

I think they are talking about the UI you need to go through on both steam and the CA website to unlock the free DLC, not the in-game UI. Which is pretty good, actually.

Edit: Unless you mean the in-game web help-browser thing. Which is an abomination and frankly an affront to both god and man.

Oh yeah that dlc download thing. I never can figure out how that works. I reload steam and click etc.

I never bother with the in game browser. Agreed on both affronts.

Frankly I play so much Warhammer 2 I may need an intervention.

Apparently I talk about it more than I play it lately, but my number of hours is actually stomach churning, so I feel you there.

Ah this year hopefully the Greenskins update will include another LL and units. Until then I gotta figure out how to undesync my co-op campaign.

I don’t think that even gives any useful information (e.g. stats, or explanations of keywords) at all

Yeah; it’s basically flavor text

If I were to start a VC campaign, which one should I do? (Is it worth considering TW1?)

There’s one that starts way in the west that’s weird, you mostly play with your ethereal (50% dodge) hero units. I wouldn’t start with that.

Helm you fight Bretonnians which is gonna be easy. The Skaven/elfs may be more annoying.

That leaves Manfreid and Isabella. Mann becomes this unkillable aoe caster later on (kinda like baby dark elf lord).

Isabella i think has a more interesting, if tricky campaign. IIRC there’s a trick so you can very quickly take over another legendary lord (first few turns). Probably something like this

edit: Found some notes I had for Vannfield. Just solo everything with hero + the starting elite mob.

VAMPIRE:

Get hungerer for regen. Get defensive skills so you regen faster than you take damage.
Grab the increased power reserve/regen skills from the magic trees.
Leadership points from the middle tree to prevent crumbling.
Once high enough level, get the mount so he can get from place A to place B faster.

During combat…
Snipe the enemy lord with spells to prevent him from killing you.
Spam the ability that increases power reserves.
Reserve your power for the heal spell. You can cast this on yourself if you take damage faster than your regen heals you.

Optionally:
Use the Varghulf as support.
It has regen and good damage.
The attacks scatter infantry so it’s excellent for freeing up Mannfred if he gets bogged down and needs to retreat to regen.
Just remember Varghulf has a bit low leadership compared to his overall efficiency. Don’t let him get low on health (spam Mannfred’s heal) and if he gets low on morale, pull him out immediately. You don’t want to let him crumble. Often Mannfred survives better on his own (spamming heals on himself) than with Varghulf if he needs to spam heals on the Varghulf.

If you have TW:WH2 then never install TW1. Do buy it and the DLCs but all the races from 1 are playable in 2 (if you own them from 1). And in 2 you get the benefit of various patches and tweaks over time that have improved things.

If you haven’t played Vampire Counts before then start with Mannfred Von Carstein. He’s rough and tough and has a great start with a gold mine in his capitol.

The only tricky part about playing VC if you are coming off of other races is to remember that Vampires don’t recruit units. They can, but it’s a waste of time and effort to build up a province and recruit an army. It’s far preferable with Vampire Counts to just raise the dead to replenish an army on the march. Especially coupled with the techs that allow skeletons and zombies to be upkeep free. Skellies may be crap but three stacks of them with a few lords and heros for leadership will put a serious hurt on even very elite enemy stacks. And the real beauty is that once you’ve caused enough casualties in massive battles then you can start raising elite undead units in the province with the battle marker!

Thanks @wisefool and @Tortilla! I guess I should have specified that the C in VC was for Count not Coast but it seems that was understood.

Though after that 150-or-so turn Empire game, I’m thinking about trying out EU4 now…

If you think TW:W campaigns are long I have some news for you about EU4…

Is that long? I’m a newb high elf, on turn 40-something of my first game and I’ve only retaken my home province and formed some defensive alliances; granted I could probably confederate a couple of them. I’ve been wondering if I’m not going fast enough. Some empire I can’t even see across the map started a ritual that’s messing with the magic tornado thing.

Generally an experienced player who knows what they are about can have built up a strong enough position by turn 100 that the final outcome is in no doubt.

I finish games by turn 80. As in, I give up. I play on normal thought. At that point I can walk into towns, hit autoresolve and win. I have several stacks that can do that. It’s boring. The most fun is early on when you gotta fight the battles manually.

Certain exceptions, with wood elfs you basically hit next turn for the first 40-50 turns before actually fighting.

Oh, that’s why I like one-hero armies. You play with magic and AOEs and it’s much more amusing to actually battle so you get engaged more. See frogger smack people around on his throne… Or that emo elf up north. Or the perfect elf on donut island.

I was briefly on an achievement kick which forces you to finish games and it can definitely feel like a grind when you know you have no chance of defeat past turn 30.

Generally I just play until I feel I’ve constructed the perfect stack for that race, and gotten bored of repeating battles with it.

Edited to add: the perfect stack from a fun/gameplay perspective. Usually the technically “best” stack is something like 19 large single model units and 1 guy with a heal spell. But I don’t really build those.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-the-kings-shilling-update/

I know they are saving this for 3, but Im still disappointed we haven’t got Dogs of War yet.

Yeah, it would be cool if there were some units that could be recruited by anybody.

Have you met our Lord Felix and Gortek?

(I haven’t played since but I read even empire can recruit them)

Oh, that’s true, but it’s a lord and a hero. I had them for a bit in my Empire campaign but didn’t really know what to do with them as I didn’t have the funds for another army so they just trailed along and came as reinforcements that didn’t really do much. Kind of underwhelming.