Total War: Warhammer 2

So, if I have both WH! and WH2 installed, I can uninstall WH1 and still play ME?

Yes45

Yep, it’s basically like playing WH1. Only with a bigger map and WH2 QOL improvements.

Ok, another question about reliability. Again my reliability is dropping for no apparent reason. In a few turns it went from the max to the minimum. For several turns it just dropped. I attacked no one. No new wars started. Just me moving troops in my territory and building stuff in my cities.

Is there some kind of hidden mechanic or is this just a bug they never fixed?

Did you break a trade agreement with someone or get invited by an ally to join a war and decline? I used to be confused about reliability drops until I figured out how it works. Basically any time you back out of any agreement you set the stage for a reliability drop unless you wait like 10-20 turns to make any further changes in diplomatic status with that same party.

No. I have no allys or defensive agreements. No wars started, no wars ended. I get asked to join into alliances all the time and I always decline.However, someone broke a non-agression pact with me, and then the next turn asked me for one again, which I agreed to.

Well hell man, then I am not even going to make those with people unless I am trying to get them to trade with me.

I’m not going to defend the game’s diplomacy system. It is bonkers. Worse than Civ V? Yes. But I will say that they do call it total war for a reason :) Ok, ok, even that isn’t good enough, context does matter. For instance, playing as Count Noctilus, I’m finding that diplomacy doesn’t matter one bit as I sail the seas looting and plundering. But for a High Elf run (if I recall your race correctly) there’s definite value in reliability to get those lucrative trade agreements. But over time, the game does seem to devolve into a crazy chaotic mess of wars erupting. Don’t forget High Elves can spend influence to bump up (or down) attitude of the AI. Won’t necessarily help with agreements, but it can stave off potential wars. Confederation is a whole other beast sadly, and I ended up adding a mod that forces confederation on a Lord when they are conquered:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1489981722

The flying wood elf (added in December update?) is the easiest faction I’ve played with low lategame slog.

1. Starts with hawk riders which have 360 no scope arrows. They can take out artillery, kite enemies, or force fire at important targets at will. Also they make early sieges easy as fliers will.

2. Global recruit can be reduced to 1 turn for most units so it’s easy to get reinforcements

3. only a few settlements can actually be built in. The rest are cheap outposts (200 gold to build) so it’s fine if the AI takes them. It really sucks when the AI razes or sacks a city you spent 20 turns building up.

4. You have a choice on where to wander and fight. You can teleport to other major cities (5 total?), all with different foes to befriend or slay.

1. Autoresolve is decent.

2. Confederating the other wood elf factions can be done either by conquering them as normal, or doing various quests.

3. Did I mention sieges are easy? You can recruit zoats, which are anti-large cavalry that grant siege attacker (no need to build siege engines)

Yea, I quite enjoyed my campaign with them myself. The hawk rider doomstack may not be the most powerful possible doomstack but with all those Arrows of Kurnous it sure is funny. Taking out 30% of the enemy army in the first volley is satisfying.

So in the last week or two my game has started crashing during faction choice. I start a new campaign and can slide the slider to see all the choices of factions. If I select one the animation of the leader starts to play and then freezes a second or two into the animation. Then I realize my game itself is frozen and after another 10 seconds or so it crashes to desktop.

A few times I’ve been able to start new games with dwarves or Norsica, but that was like 1/5 times without a crash. And it seemed like anytime I tried Bretonia it crashed. So today I started tinkering with it and after a couple of crashes described above decided to update my graphics drivers. Did that and I was able to select about 3 or 4 different factions/leaders. Then I tried selecting Bretonia and it did the freeze/crash thing again. Restarted, selected a dwarf faction no issues, then back to Bretonia and crash. I’m not convinced the Bretonia thing is a cause or symptom as it could just be a coincidence. Still, it’s weird. And I’ve done some searches and found nothing about this sort of crash. Everything is for ingame and AI turn crashes.

My son has a bunch (a BUNCH) of mods installed but when I play I disable all the mods. So I’m assuming it’s not a mod issue. I’d really prefer not to reinstall as there are like 100Gig of just mods my kids has that will have to reinstall too if I delete the base game (I assume).

Any ideas would be great.

Hit verify files on steam just in case?

Oooh. Not sure I even knew it was a thing. Thx.

Yeah, my first thought was a corrupted file.

Well it spent about 10 minutes verifying the files and now it’s downloading 4.6Gig of something. Won’t be able to test til later but at least it appears to be doing something promising. Thanks again.

That seemed to do the trick. Oddly, what seemed to update was a bunch of mods, so even though I had them turned off they may have been interfering with the faction leader videos that seemed to be the cause of my crashes. Or some other random file corrupted. It’s all magic inside the box anyway.

Does anyone find heroes in the field (not embedded with any army) useful? The reason ask is that played the chaos campaign over the weekend (quite boring) and there were hordes of heroes following my armies around doing whatever heroes do. I and only once did they do something mildly annoying by killing a sorcerer hero.

Overall, it seems to be pointless to have a bunch of heroes running around instead of having them in your army.

I do find them useful, but it may be related to the extra challenges that Very Hard (VH) Difficulty throws upon the player.

VH means the AI pushes out bigger, better quality armies faster. So having a hero being able to clear the Fog of War and see what is coming helps make informed choices about whether my stack can take the one, two or three stacks that might be bearing down on me.

VH requires management of public order because each settlement starts with -8 to public order. Having heroes present that can raise public order can help “difficult” settlements deal with rebels, at least until they can defend themselves adequately. Though the game is broken when the rebels spawn with top tier troops.

VH places a huge burden on army costs, each additional army costs an extra 15% on upkeep, on top of having increased unit upkeep costs in general. Having High Elf Nobles in one game securing trade a nice little income for me to afford a new army.

I don’t think I use heroes in the field as much as I should, but they can be useful. It comes down to what I need and what traits are available. And while it is annoying having the “Hero not moved” notification, I’ve since found that can be turned off via notification settings. I rename my heroes that are to sit in the field doing nothing eg: most High Elf nobles that I consider useless on the battle map. Handmaidens are much more useful in the army than Nobles.

Depends on the hero, but all of them exert some negative influence in your territory, and a positive influence in theirs. You probably want to kill them off with your own heroes that can injure or assassinate them.

Yep, higher difficulty makes heroes outside the stack more desirable. Particularly on Legendary where you can’t save scum, or if you just don’t like to save scum. 90% of the time you’ll lose your army in TW is from marching into the fog of war and hitting a 3 army ambush or something horrible. Having heroes scouting out ahead prevents this.