Total War: Warhammer 2

Here’s another thought - I tend to clump my 20 units into 5-7 groups using the Group key (CTRL+# sets the selected group of units to be activated by hitting that number) and then treat my 5-7 groups as if they were 5-7 units. This is not great for spell casters and other units with a lot of micro-heavy special abilities, but works well to reduce the chaos for me, and if you are smart about it, you can still use special abilities.

To use special abilities, there’s two methods. One, when you have a group selected, just click on the unit card for the specific unit you want to use and then fire off their special ability (note there are keys to help with this - I think abilities are SHIFT+# and spells are ALT+# - with the number being clockwise from the top of the ability/spell circle 1-6). Two, just make sure all the units in the group are the same type of unit and their abilities will still be available in the ability circle doodad. If you click an ability, like dragonfire, all your dragons will get the command. A variation on two is to add in some order cloning (or whatever the kids call it these days - I’m talking about OG StarCraft order cloning.)

Here’s an example of a typical Sharpe Army ™ with 8-10 infantry, 4-6 archers, 2-4 cavalry, 1-2 Siege , a Leader, and maybe a Hero or Mighty Beast, using Group Hotkeys:

1 - Shock Cavalry
2 - Infantry Left Wing
3 - Infantry Right Wing (alternatively I will put Sword Inf on 2 and Spear Inf on 3, depending on the type of army I have)
4 - Missile Troops
5 - Siege Troops
6 - Leader
7 - Hero and or Mighty Beast o Doom (if applicable)

there are many variations but I find it’s pretty easy to use Groups to render my 20 unit mess into a 5-7 group of relative zen.

I probably wasn’t as proficient but sometimes I tried to play by grouping my units by type. It does help, but then at some point I want to send some units of this type here and others over there. Maybe I could get better at it. Oh, I just realized you split your infantry into left and right wing. That I never tried. After I play some other games maybe I’ll give Warhammer 3 another go, or try 2 for the first time. Thanks for the suggestion, it may help.

Alternatively, hotkey Pause to something handy and use the crap out of it.

You’re not trying to be a multiplayer champion or beat the game on Legendary, so give yourself the option of being able to stop everything, look around, issue orders and move stuff around easier.

Yeah I tend to do this, but really each shock cav unit wants to be micromanaged independently. It’s very tedious, which is one part of why human-controlled armies tend to gravitate to mass missile troops, despite shock cav being super effective if used properly and a hell of a lot of fun until the micro overwhelms.

I have yet to prefect the art of “cycle charging” in a Total War game. I just had a prefect opportunity in a TW:W3 battle where I had shock cavalry able to charge right into the backs of some occupied infantry. The cavalry seem to take such a beating. The AI on the other hand just mess me up and pretty much always have. I intensely fear cavalry in an AI army.

That’s what I use the AI General II mod for!

Certainly not an expert, but AIUI there are two key components here: (1) the momentum / impact that depends on the relative size of the units and (2) the charge bonus. For (1), you see the result visually as the dudes go flying and are unable to attack you back. For (2), I believe you get the full charge bonus when combat starts and then it decays over something like eight seconds, so you should, erhm, pull out and charge again after like 4 or 6 (but I usually let it go longer, for no good reason, I guess). I just select the unit, and right-click-drag to paint the formation in a nice line facing the (backs of the, hopefully) enemy about 1.5 to 2.5 “unit depths” (i.e. like car-lengths on the road) away. As soon as they’re reasonably formed up, send them in again. You need the distance to allow them to get to full speed.

For me, this is absolutely only possible with a lot of pausing. If I had to play in no-pause mode (multiplayer or legendary), yeah, forget it, I’m toast.

That helps enormously. I remember reading something about the “charge bonus” but I was always unclear as to when it came into effect and dissipated.

The biggest help for me was a gauge as to how far back to pull the guys back after a successful charge. I was pulling them way too far and leaving them in waaay to long.

Well, do pay attention, don’t just take my word for it. ;) It varies based on the acceleration and top speed of the particular unit. And of course the enemy might have something to say about it.

So, I have Warhammer 1and 2 and the Twilight Elf DLC on Free on Epic.

Before I start playing, besides the free DLC, are there any must have DLCs

Warhammer is great in that you really only “need” the DLC for the faction(s) you’re interested in playing. All basic gameplay (and factions) exists in-game with the AI regardless of what you own, but many factions, mechanics, leaders, and their special units will be locked from your personal use. Also make sure to get all the FreeLC (connect to Total War Access), including Bretonnia.

Paid DLC by race/civ (bold = unlocks race for play)

• Beastmen: Call of the Beastmen, The Silence & The Fury
  • Chaos Warriors: Chaos Warriors Race Pack, Champions of Chaos (WHIII)
  • Dark Elves: The Queen and the Crone, The Shadow and the Blade
  • Dwarfs: The King and the Warlord
  • Empire: The Grim and the Grave, The Hunter and the Beast
  • Greenskins: The King and the Warlord, The Warden and the Paunch
  • High Elves: The Queen and the Crone, The Warden and the Paunch
  • Lizardmen: The Prophet and the Warlock, The Hunter and the Beast, The Silence & The Fury
  • Norsca: Norsca
  • Ogre Kingdoms: Ogre Kingdoms (WHIII)
  • Skaven: The Prophet and the Warlock, The Shadow and the Blade, The Twisted and the Twilight
  • Tomb Kings: Rise of the Tomb Kings
  • Vampire Coast: The Curse of the Vampire Coast
  • Vampire Counts: The Grim and the Grave
  • Wood Elves: Realm of the Wood Elves, The Twisted and the Twilight

PS - you can still play as Sisters of Twilight without Realm of the Wood Elves; the latter unlocks the ability to play as the rest of the Wood Elf legendary lords and to confederate with them; I’d highly recommend it (on sale, which it currently is) if you enjoy the Wood Elves

edit - I’ve personally always been a fan of the Tomb Kings, Lizardmen, and Skaven.
edit 2 - I own all the DLC, in part because I’m a completionist but also because each race is quite fun and some mods require various DLCs to work properly

You’ve got lots of solid gameplay just with what you own. Dan_Theman has laid out all the DLC and races. I personally never got into an of the DLC races, mostly sticking with High Elves and Lizardmen. However, every race, including the DLC races, have their adherents. In terms of what the buzz is, a lot of folks like the Tomb Kings DLC. I think Vampire Coast is also pretty popular.

I would start with what you have and then as you see what the various factions do, you can decide to try other DLC if you want.

One thing to be aware of is that some factions are “empire building” factions that work best with a strategy of conquering territory, upgrading cities and building armies. Other factions are “horde” factions that work best with a strategy of razing conquered settlements. Some players prefer one of these options over the other. I don’t recall precisely which factions fall into which camp but you can typically tell by reading the descriptions.

Yeah, they’re my personal favorite. While not the most powerful, I love their brand of snark, aesthetic, mechanics, and lack of upkeep costs. I highly recommend the Tomb Kings Extended mod (I understand it’s a bit of a PITA to get working on Epic, but it can be done).

Thanks everyone.
I’m tempted by the Vampire Coast because Zombies plus Gun powder seems interesting. And Norsca is only 4.99 on Epic, so that seems like an easier buy.