Total War: Warhammer 2

Tim TW2 Warhammer is my favorite TW… from medieval 1 to now. Have fun!

Vortex campaign is great and turn times are not terrible.

Mortal empires game is so fun … I just wish turn times weren’t terrible lol.

Agree completely with @KristiGaines. I’ve got 335 hours on TW W2, which is my most played game on Steam and another 147 hours on TW W2. I’ve played a lot both coop and single player. It’s a great game. Far and away my most played Total War game.

I usually play Mortal Empires campaign, but the turns do take a long time. I wish they set it up so that you could mark which opponents to skip over – you can kind of do it with the fast-play controls, but it’s too easy to miss releasing before an enemy you really want to be watching. It would be better if there was just a big toggle list of factions and you could toggle there display on or off.

You can configure end of turn camera/speed by diplomatic status (allied, neutral, at war) or by individual faction. I have everyone set to Fastest and Camera Off except for specific factions I want to watch.

Hmm, that would be great, but I don’t see where to do that. I’ve checked the Faction List and don’t see any controls or toggles to speed the camera, I don’t see anything on the Diplomatic Screen and I don’t see anything on the Options list.

Does the game adjust micro as you increase in power? E.g. when you’ve played a campaign for quite a few hours and have 12-20 cities do you still have to micromanage every one of them?

There are no city governors if that is what you mean. However I didn’t find I had to micro cities too much. Public order is an issue on the higher difficulties but the overview tab in the interface gives a good rundown of how public order is trending and also if buildings can be constructed. That side of the game isn’t too much different to the first Warhammer.

The micro varies based on the nation you play as. High Elves are pretty simple, certain unique buildings might allow boosts to experience for new recruits, but not something I stress over. Similarly dwarves get recruit boosts based on local resources (eg: wood resource gives exp bonus to quarrelers). Tomb Kings do require a bit of work to consider upkeep for their troops - anything above basic skeletons is capped by the number of buildings you have constructed.

To me, I think TW:W is more focused on efficient armies and choosing battles wisely. The city stuff is really just the engine to drive the armies forward.

It’s a control that gets displayed in the top left of your screen that shows up when the AI is taking their turns. The icon looks like a camera. Click that and you’ll get options to configure per faction.

If you can’t find it, after work today I’ll try to remember to post a screenshot.

Okay, I found it. Thanks @KevinC

Man, I should have talked to you a couple of years ago, You probably would have saved 20-30 hours of my life spent watching units I didn’t care about running around the Warhammer world. Playing High Elves was particularly an issue, since their trade relations special ability ends up with them having visibility on huge swathes of the map.

They should have put it on the Faction List. The way they have it setup, you have to rotate through every faction one at a time and set them.

There’s a few different categories in that control (IIRC there are left/right arrows to cycle, but it defaults to individual faction), so I tend to do Fastest / no camera for “neutral”, “allied”, and “at war” which covers all factions. I only use the individual faction camera control when I have a particular enemy I want to watch, I turn on camera zoom for them individually.

I tapped this out quickly on my phone, let me know if I was as clear as mud. Basically, you don’t need to set the camera for each faction, you should only have to do that when you want exceptions to your overall camera settings.

You do, but here’s the trick, you only really focus on one or two cities to get troops, the rest just make money. If you need refills do global delivery while you rest, or create a new hero to courier them over.

Part of the reason woodland elf is so easy is because you only ever have at most 4 cities. The rest of the regions give 1% to gold or attack each. They are disposable cities. Investing on border regions is expensive and painful when the AI takes them + sacks them.

Thanks @KevinC

Happy I could help!

This should make my next Mortal Empires campaign much, much faster!

I use:

Strategic view OFF for allies/neutrals.

Fast/fastest for enemy armies
Fastest/off for enemy agents

For anyone who hasn’t tried it, and assuming it is still up to date, the Mortal Empires Turn-Time Destroyer mod is quite effective. It basically removes most of the minor factions from the game that aren’t in your starting vicinity. You only ever interact with major factions past the beginning of the game because the major factions are favored in auto-resolve and will, barring a statistical anomaly, absorb their respective minors anyways before you arrive.

It’s still a fairly long turn time, and some people will just dislike the idea of removing all those minor factions, but it’s definitely a noticeable improvement over vanilla if you find the idea of Mortal Empires fun but the turn times a deal breaker. Every faction with either a Legendy Lord and a few that are kind of unique (the wood elves in the southlands spring to mind) are still in.

Minor correction but the major factions are no longer favored in autoresolve as of a a patch a few months back. They generally start with better cities and leaders than the minors but since that change they don’t quite dominate as much. Minors, especially ones that can’t be gobbled up by confederation, tend to stick around longer now. I’ve had late games where Tilea or Sudenburgh or Border Princes are still holding on or even flourishing.

Whatever they did sure seemed to screw up Lizardmen autoresolve. I fight those Skeggi guys at the first and the autoresolve results in utter defeats for me, army wiped and everyone dead. If I manual it, even as a guy who really sucks at the game, I win those battles with 38 friggin’ casualties total.

It ends up kind of sapping my will to play after a while because I feel like I have to manual so many fights I’d rather auto-resolve, but at least the AI General mod helps with that.

Yeah, autoresolve early will chew up your army. Later on in the game when you are rocking all top-tier units and you meet some trash enemy the autoresolve will save you the trouble of playing it out. But in the early game the expectation is that the player will be micromanaging every precious unit in battle to minimize casualties.

Also a tip for newer players:
Build a garrison building in nearly every outlaying town.
The AI bee lines for anything without one and if all your cities have one they might go elsewhere. Also they’re very wary about attacking one with walls, also it can usually buy you time to get there and stop them once you hit Tier 3 and have walls on basically everything (since autoresolve tends to make walls without siege gear VERY costly for the attacker).

Now you can forgo them if the territory is miles behind the lines or whatever, but as a rule, garrison structures are a big deal that helps a ton with random bands coming in and ruining everything.

I love AI general mod but I wish theyd get that durn auto-resolve just a bit smoother. Playing as a pirate captain they have me even with a lot of those “Sea interest locations” – then I go fight and just kill everything.

(Second on what shiva said, above --garrison is super important. Resources are too though … tough decisions…)