Total War: Warhammer 2

You can have additional armies as all the Horde factions. Select your army, and its under one of the tabs. Maybe the recruitment tab, maybe the construction tab. But you can hire lords and heroes from it.

I only had 3 armies at the end of my Nakai campaign, but trying to win with only 1 would have been rough.

Also, there is a ritual that Nakai can use to spawn a pretty decent army under the control of his vassal. It doesn’t replenish so it will only win a battle or two, but it’s basically worth using on cooldown because if your vassal has sufficient military strength the AI won’t constantly declare war on him.

Oh, and the beta with the port fix and some other minor bug related stuff is out. You’ll need to opt into it on steam. If you right click the game and go to properties there is a beta tab in there that you need to activate.

Is it the hunter beta option?

Yep, that’s the right one.

I own both of these games and a lot of their DLC but I’ve only played a single dwarf campaign. So I’ve been watching this video series and reinstalled the sequel for a Empire campaign with Franz as the leader. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0R5ep1yaI&list=WL&index=7&t=34s

Thanks for the YouTuber rec. Sometimes it can be hard to find a good channel - first I’ve seen this name pop up, but seems like it should have long before now.

Got my September Issue of WD!

Do I need The Warlock and the Prophet DLC in order to be able to get Skaven Regiments of Renown units? If so are they only in that Lord’s campaign? That is, for example, I am not understanding how or if I can get the flaming sword clan rats RoR units for Queek in the Mors Vortex campaign.

I would not mind going to a comic store and buying that issue – do they sell that regularly in the states?

Yes. That’s pretty much always the case. Once unlocked they’re for every Skaven faction.

Ok. Thanks. Im pretty newb to TW:W as I just recently got a rig capable of playing it. I built one for it actually. =)

Follow up question, if I get the DLC, is it available to Skaven games already going or do I need to restart a campaign to enable RoR?

Also, being new to TW:W, I missed out on the original factions. I have the game and DLC, but didnt play their campaigns. I get the feeling Mortal Empires is the way to play them, but folks also seem to say turn times get nuts and things drag out. If I wanted to check out Undead or Dwarves, is it better to ME it, or is it worth it to install TW W1 to play original campaigns? Are there story bits that are worth it in TW W1?

If you can handle the turn times and playing a vast campaign, then definitely play Mortal Empires. It’s way more polished and complete than Warhammer 1. If you have a brand new rig, turn resolution times should be long but not insane.

Note that you can speed up turn times dramatically by changing the camera settings to something more reasonable. During turn resolution the camera shaped button on the top left UI lets you change the settings for allies, neutrals and enemies; or if you prefer, individual factions.

Fwiw my friend went to compleats strategist and couldn’t find it. (It was THE rpg store here)

My suggestion is to call your local comic shop and ask. I live out in the sticks so the nearest comic place is like 30 minutes away. Guess I’m waiting for the free online release, because they don’t carry it. Which is fine honestly, my backlog of games is roughly infinity.

G+F are good for a free update. After about 20 turns in game, an event fires and Gortrex and Felix appear on the map near your capital. You have to move an army across to them, and then they become a Lord and hero that can lead their own army for 20 turns. I transferred the army across from my second string army and sent them off. Gortrex is OK, mainly good just to have BB saying stuff. Hope there’s a mod to remove the 20 turn limit at some stage.

I’ll give you “complete” on ME, especially with updated mechanics for the older factions.
But polished no.

Still not a reason to go back to War1 though (well, War1 WElfs and Beastmen are unequivocally better experiences - their ports in War2 are very poorly done)

As mentioned above, I am a TW:W newb. I didnt play the first and am just now getting at the second one now even though I own everything. My PC just wasnt up to it. Now it is, so I’m digging in. I’m a middle aged guy so my RTS micro is a bit faded.

With all that said, I’m getting worked by the Queek Headtaker Vortex campaign. I’ve failed, and early, many times now. The Elven Dawn faction from the western island is a pain that floats in and razes every time I move away. The Lizards are an anvil that seep in from the SE or North.

In my last game I went for Warpstone Cats early and took the Dawn island while maintaining non-aggression pacts with the Northern lizards and left both Skaven factions completly intact and in good relations. This then left the Northen lizards to jump down on my capital to harass just as a doom stack of new Elves obliterated both Skaven allies and my solid Queek stack around turn 25.

I’ve watch a lot of mecanics and campaign videos. I have even taken solid notes about hot key uses (still sad I can’t rebind pause to a mouse button). I am upgrading Queek with priority to clan rat buffs, Life is Very Cheap, and camaign movement. The idea is to get the clan rats good enough to tie up units then use elites, Menace from Below, and flanking to chew up armies. Queek had 1 assassin, 4 WCats, 2 night runners, about 6 clan rats spears with shields, 2 Stormvermin, the Vulc fire RoR clan rats, WFire throwers, and the rat ogers. I did really well except the Eastern Elf doomstack. They rolled me. I cant say what they had. They looked like elf things to me. =)

I am only playing normal. I know I flub newbie stuff like inefficiently moving stacks as I learn stances or unit trading. I also am still learning little bits that you learn through doing like Hero use, food use, corruption, etc. I picked Queek as I wanted to play Skaven and he is the only Lord I know from lore (it is weird he is a so so fighter in game). Maybe Skaven are too micro heavy and unforgiving for a newbie; I often find rallied units sitting idle in the middle of nowhere. I plan to try it again tonight, but boy is it rough.

Initial starts in TW games can be wildly different depending upon who declares war on you. For ex., in Mortal Empires, sometimes when playing as Morathi big alliances of High Elves declare war pretty quickly at the start, and then the lizards declare war around the same time - against this many stacks, there’s pretty much nothing you can do other than fight an endless battle of attrition and rely on tons of magic just to hold the line. So it could just be you’ve got too many enemies and not enough troops at that point. One time as East Rome in Attila i had a “Likes Eastern Romans” and “Defensive” counterpart in Sassanid Persia (the actual traits of leaders in Attila was randomly rolled every game). That made the game about 100x easier - living my Best Dark Age Life.

So do everything you can to get some decent diplomacy with your not-yet-enemies and try as hard as possible to fight only one front at at time.

Another somewhat cheese tactic - something you can do far more cheesily with the Tomb Kings, is just make as many stacks with as many cheap troops as possible and auto-resolve every fight. The autoresolver overweights numbers vs. quality and it will consider you to be much stronger than you are with two trash stacks vs one medium tier stack.

Pause often. Also an extra army of nothing but skavenslaves to die for you is rarely a bad idea for Skaven early on.

Send them in first, follow up after the enemy wastes energy and efforts on the slaves and mop up the tired enemy. Slaves are almost free so just merge the groups and get some more as they’re horribly slaughtered.

So for those playing Vortex or Mortal Empires. What game mode and faction did you have the most fun with? I’m having trouble deciding what to play.