Total War: Warhammer 2

Dumping my current Skaven campaign in order to wait for the new units and map from the DLC to start a new Skaven campaign. Can’t wait to see those mortars along with Ikit and his buffs!

I know - me too!

Is the turn optimization update part of the Dark Elf/Skaven DLC? Is it a patch before? After?

It’s part of the patch for the DLC, everyone gets it when the DLC launches.

Thanks. I am SOOOO in! The thing I was looking forward to the most for TW:W3 was the optimization reported in TW: Three Kingdoms.

I was playing around with the settings here (I haven’t benchmarked this particular title since upgrading my PC) and I discovered a few important notes.

First, I discovered Extreme Shadows do indeed look much more like actual shadows than even Ultra shadows, and if your video card has the memory, I only shaved 1.5 FPS off my average (66) having it set to Extreme. Here is a compare:

Extreme:

Ultra:

The difference is more noticeable than I’d have thought when zoomed up and watching the action, but as shadows are what I generally don’t notice when I play something like this, I don’t think it’s a big deal if your card doesn’t have extra memory to pull this off (which is the warning you get when you try to select it). I have a 1080 Ti and like I said, the performance cost @1440p was negligible.

What was a much bigger difference for me was turning off Sharpening. I’ve always left it on, and maybe this isn’t news to anyone else, but oh man does this game (to me) look so much better with it off. Holy crap.

Since posting the images and having them auto-scale down hides the sharpening effect, let me crop a piece of a few 1440p images that I took during the benchmark. You’ll still probably have to click them to get the full effect, but you should see what I mean, I think.

Sharpening ON:

Sharpening OFF:

Game changing, for me. I was pushing my Anti-Aliasing up to 8x and choking my poor GPU to make things look smoother when this was the culprit all along - in fact, that second shot with sharpening off is just using FXAA anti-aliasing, which looks fantastic at this resolution.

I’m having trouble seeing the difference between the two sharpening pics. Can you explain a bit?

Like I said, you will probably need to embiggen them by clicking because the very nature of shrinking an image removes sharpness.

I will attempt to show it with a small image that the forum won’t resize.

No Sharpen:

Sharpen:

The sharpen effect makes the image look a little more blocky, imo. I think it looks better without the sharpen feature applied - it’s a softer, more rounded look - and that extends to the entire screen.

On the other end of the spectrum, here is the full 1440p image without sharpening:

And a full 1440p image WITH Sharpening:

Maybe open them both in a new tab and compare them that way. In Chrome, you can right-click and Open in a new Tab. Don’t forget on each image within the tab to click one more time on the image to make sure it’s full sized.

And of course, the best way to compare - launch the game and try turning it on and off - I didn’t seem to require a restart to take effect.

Random aside; I still love the lizardmen. Just nothing more enjoyable than leading an army of dinosaurs, even if they’re not quite the most powerful.

Yeah I see it. Without sharpening, the lizards to me look less “muddier.” Does that make sense? But yes, I agree with what you’re saying. I need to look at see what my settings are. I know my system is getting old, so probably can’t tweak much. I have noticed that when Queen Bess fires, the projectile is not as detailed as I’d like…

I have to admit, I don’t know why I buy other games because there is so much content in WH2 it’ll take a lifetime to complete I think.

I know this is me. The problem is it takes like 15-20 hours to wrap up a campaign (if I’m even going to be successful - by far, not a guarantee) and when I do, I move onto other things until an update or DLC brings me back. Honestly, booting up the game to play with these settings in anticipation of the update coming out next week, I completely forgot I never even played the Tomb Kings despite buying it at launch!

Nice browns victory! Sry for your season.

I play Warhammer 2 almost every night even for just a few turns in ME. I have a great Empire campaign running now. I can’t wait for the faster turn times (allegedly) and the new Joan of Arc Britainia. I REFUSE to play skaven. Damn rats.

Scott – Tomb Kings are freakin great. What the hell?

Yeah isn’t it weird that Three Kingdoms with all those factions is so fast --and Warhammer 2 is still sorta slow in ME. Sigh. My literal kingdom for faster turn times.

Appreciate it, Kristi! It’s been … a time, lol. But good things come to those who wait, right? Speaking of which, that DLC does look fantastic!

Only a Vikings fan knows how that is brother

Then why are you playing the High Elves?!?

Sry, could not leave this unsaid (unwritten). :-D

Ha! It’s all relative in the grim dark future where there is only war and colorful swirly magics.