Total War: Warhammer 3

Yep, can free up 100+gb of drive space until then.

Exactly.

Good call.

He’s not wrong on any of his points. Also Heir is a pretty positive dude, so this is kind of brutal.
Or as someone said:

Best point: Why is it going to take months to fix replenishment? It’s literally a number they can change in an hour.

There are mods on the workshop that do it, but CA will get back to us… in fucking July (if we’re lucky).

CA has been around a long time, one of the longest dev houses in strategy gaming at this point, and that seems to be because behind the great trailers and awesome soundtracks there’s a pretty ruthless front office that has seemingly no problem at all placing their games on the block.

The apparent attitude that CA seems to be having is one that is taking pause at the popularity and performance of WH3 and is deciding what to do from here.

I can see that; it makes some sense, although it’s a shame if so.

I suspect the consumer base would have reacted quite differently to WH3 if they released what they had as early access and laid out this roadmap when they did. That’s not to say there wouldn’t have been whiners, but this was a debacle.

Still, I expect we’ll have the game we were imagining by the end of the year. This is yet another cautionary tale for the annals of game development and consumer buying decisions. While waiting for a proper WH3, maybe I’ll go try out No Man’s Sky again with the new updates and think back to how barebones that was once upon a time.

The Ursun campaign is pretty weird thematically and also feels ‘off’. Personally, i don’t like personification of the demons and trying to rationalize participating with them in some expanded universe way, even though ironically i sometimes like playing as Sigvald, mainly for the Road Warrior aesthetic human Chaos has. The whole campaign is really a prequel to the previous games, which feels a bit fanboy-ish. To my surprise the Demons of Chaos factions are kind of … boring, despite a ton of heavy lifting by the animation dept making nurglings the cutest evil blobs you’ve ever seen. It actually feels like there are only four factions in TWW3. Compared the massive diversity in the very well functioning Mortal Empires map it’s hard to go backwards.

Holy crap.

Yeah, the fanbase was not happy that their update 2.5 months after release was “Sorry the main campaign sucks, but we might be able to do something in 3-6 months!”

How in the world did Creative Assembly get themselves in this situation? Is it management forcing the project out against developer wishes?

They were really excited about their features and thought everyone else would enjoy their baby. It took them months of post-game feedback to finally realize that nobody wants to play the game they designed because it’s annoying. Creators resist throwing out “their babies”.

I don’t know what they were thinking, to create more siege battles.

They thought they’d get a good reception, then ride the hype train come september with the Mortal empires map which would be released with new DLC / expansion and make more money

FWIW I played a few campaigns. I like Cathay. The caravan fights are a nice change of pace - varied opponents and varied compositions. Chaos seems pretty boring. There’s overpowered melee khorne, and tzeench force field birds.

This should be its own idle game or somesuch - its really, really cool.

This seems reasonable. It’s a behavior pattern that seems to be ingrained early, if the way my seniors in their game production capstone do stuff is any indication. I think it’s endemic among all creative types, though. One key difference with games I think is the interactive aspect. You sort of expect a movie or a painting or whatever to be idiosyncratic, maybe even weird, and you can still appreciate it. With a game, the creator is locked into a much more reciprocal relationship.

The thing, it’s already a few games where their community says ‘we like big, traditional campaigns where we dictate the pace of the game and can conquer what we please’, which is why people like the Mortal Empires campaign, but CA goes the other direction instead, making campaign based around gimmicks, special objectives and mechanics that dictate the pace of the game.

Agreed. I’m all for developers sticking to their creative guns and keeping to the design they envisioned but CA is particularly uninterested in adopting what the community wants in some really frustrating ways.

To be fair devs need to innovate in the third installment. Sometimes you swing and miss. Honestly the chaos gates didn’t annoy me much besides the tzennch maze. It’s the siege battles that suck. On defense it’s fine but on offense it’s annoying.

On the difficulty I play I am constantly expanding so it’s mostly offensive sieges. It’s annoying and I’m going to autoresolve. And once I hit that point I’m going to lose motivation to play the campaign out.

Well, as I recall, both the previous TWH games had issues to begin with. I do wonder if CA are not also to some extent a victim of their own success and over-inflated expectations.

Very true, but both were playable and plenty of fun. Third game isn’t really fun. Yet.

My expectations were sky high that’s for sure.

I am just waiting for the immoral empires map. I was fairly excited for WH3, but the main campaign killed it for me. At least with the Vortex campaign, you could play all the factions.

I did install a mod that disabled the chaos rifts, but then I was just playing on a shitty mortal empires map. I don’t know, maybe once immortal empires comes out, maybe It will not hold my interest very well. For whatever reason, I have lost nearly all interest in warhammer III.

Well, it does fit the Warhammer vibe, for sure!