Total War: WARHAMMER

Happens all the time here, gotta free up a shit-ton of GB for an update…stressful.

We were supposed to get something on the 30th, anyone know what? I can’t find out anything…

Was this it?

This is the most straight-forward approach to the issue. Happened to me some time ago on an X-Com 2 update, where Steam apparently wanted to download twice the size of the actual game.

That’s pretty much what it does. Not a backup, but a “working copy” of sorts in which it applies the differential patches, then copies it back over the old file when it’s done.

Apparently nothing. It was just their anniversary or something. Which makes putting it on that graphic stupid as hell.

Suspicions that we might get Tilea with the update:

Previously Tilea was consider an “Empire” faction for all combat abilities. That they are saying “Tilea” in a combat sense means they would no longer be considered Empire, but something new.

The only previous reference to them was related to diplomacy, which is a whole different animal. Combat bonuses have never referred to them as a separate race, only as Empire or maybe Human (usually Empire since that’s how they are coded).

Also note the other similar techs: anti- Empire, Dwarf, Bretonnia, Greenskin, Vampire. All their own, unique races.

So this pretty well assures that some big change is coming to Tilea, likely that they’re going to be their own, unique race.

Edit: They’re revealing everything in a stream (maybe Reddit?) at 10 am Eastern.

30 new Regiments of Renown for their 30th birthday

Man, that’s awesome.

Stream started 15 minutes ago, they are right now going through the new ROR.

Odd question; why do they require logging into another site instead of sending the update via Steam? Oh, wait; data mining, of course.

It works too, because I totally just signed up for TotalWar.com in order to get the regiments.

Any word on Tilea as a playable faction?

Because reasons. It’s fairly annoying.

Nope. That’s still technically speculation, though it would be insanely odd if nothing came of it and Tilea was just an Empire reskin that for some reason is now it’s own race. It’s possible that Tilea might not come until the 2nd game as well (since they should be a colonial power there). The whole thing is strange.

They might not come as a separate race, just a separate entity in the background for the purpose of these bonuses.

Entirely possible, but still odd that they would basically make a “new” race that is… a carbon copy of an existing race.

It would be like making Top Knots a new race. They’re just orcs. All their units are just orcs.

Entirely possible that is what they did though.

I don’t quite track on how the logisitcs of this works, I’ve been signed up on their forum for forever, but mostly ignored this section because it was just wallpaper and other misc items I didn’t care about.

Now though they’ve gotten my attention because it appears like they are making units available through it instead of what for me is the preferred way to get something, i.e. through a steam update.

Am I really going to be forced to go through the cumbersome BS of downloading a file from their site and manually installing it? I can’t honestly ever remember any game company that uses steam for distribution ever forcing me to manually obtain updates.

I must be misunderstanding this.

Steam has “always” had a idiotic patching that makes it necessary to have the size of the game + patch “free” just so it can make a copy of EVERYTHING to a “Patch/download” folder that it then patches, before overwriting the installation folder files… It is madness.

I’m not sure about TotalWar.com registration being necessary? I went to sign into my account and I didn’t have one, but I have all the free stuff like Bretonnia and the White Dwarf and the like? How else could I have gotten that stuff, aside from just grabbing it from Steam?

So you’re thinking this will in fact show up via steam?