Transport Fever 2

If the basics are still the same as TF1, then it’s a mix of both actually. You build “most” of the infrastructure, and supply most of the vehicles. There’s a backend (at least there was in TF1) where some goods trickle over the land between sources and cities via wagon/truck. If you made a terribly designed route, you would not be able to cut into the established goods transfer. But on the normal side, yes you say haul x oranges to place that needs oranges. If there isn’t adequate demand, or the natural network is more efficient, then nothing will be transported. When I first started playing TF1 I got into trouble all the time because I just assumed if I told the game to transport x goods because they were available, that it would spur demand (at a city). Instead it didn’t work at all.

Heh, all those hours with Train Fever, and I never realized this. Good to know.

Make sure the train drop off point in the city has buildings that demand “red” in its catchment area and it should work. Also make sure the train can carry “red” as well.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the term arbitrary as I feel like I do this with my ship routes. Haul to dock, ship to another dock and haul to area of demand. When it hasn’t worked in the past for me it was either an incorrect hauler or an incomplete chain to the city.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the term arbitrary as I feel like I do this with my ship routes. Haul to dock, ship to another dock and haul to area of demand. When it hasn’t worked in the past for me it was either an incorrect hauler or an incomplete chain to the city.

Put it this way, in Mashinky which I think is like OpenTTD in this regard, stuff just pops up at stations when built. It is up to the player to ship them where ever he likes, the stuff doesn’t care where it goes as long as the destination can accept it.

In TF, stuff only spawns as stations if a route is created to a place that demands the thing. The things will spawn with a specific destination. How it gets there is up to the player, but the stuff will only end up in that one place.

@Jamesthe1st that seems like a very reasonable way to think about it

Railway Empires lets you build warehouses and tell them what to store, which seems like a good mechanic to me. I haven’t played it for many months, and there is new DLC I could try. Or I could buy this. I didn’t play TF1, so I’m not sure whether I’d like 2. Which game does the hivemind think is better, and why?

I haven’t played this at all, but there are several Railway Empire DLC. I think they are up to around 5 or so now. I found the Mexico Campaign DLC pretty difficult with it’s time restraints on completing objectives. You can also play the DLC in more of a sandbox mode without campaign missions too.

Transport Fever 2 sounds like it could be good. I haven’t played the first one either.

Yeah, a warehouse function seems like it would be a good thing to have. @jpinard has played both so maybe he can chime in with what are the pros and cons of the two games.

https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/the-best-transport-fever-2-mods#

Night mode looks pretty neat. But still in experimental state.

I am pretty hyped for this.

I love OpenTDD and transport games although trains are my least favourite mode of transportation in them.

Anyone wanna throw down a red flag? Otherwise I am gonna dive in :)

Edit: Nevermind bought it already :)

You’ll be happy to hear in the latest patch they added the ability to invert the direction of the panning, rotating, and tilting! Also, they added “zoom to cursor” and several other goodies.

I bounced off TF1 pretty hard, but this one has me hooked. Really scratches that OTTD itch.

So is this head and shoulders better than Transport Fever 1? That one is about $5.

I dunno @robc04 , but I do know I’ve enjoyed watching McMaster play this.

@Klaatu , you have had time with the game, how does it hold up?

I’m not him, but I’ve now sunk about 50 hours into it, finished the first two campaign arcs and spent some time in free play, and I’m really loving it. It has some frustrating interface quirks and mechanical flaws (the main one being that as far as I can tell it’s impossible to “blueprint” tracks/streets/stations), but I’m liking this more than any similar game since Industry Giant 2.

Coming to MAC in the fall. Also the next update for this game is planned for June.

I see planes, trains, and automobiles mentioned a lot. Does the game offer much in the way of maritime logistics?

There’s definitely ship transport in there, though when I saw it right at launch, it seemed the teensiest bit less developed than rails and overland transport. But fully functional for sure.

Since this thread was bumped anyway, seems timely to mention it’s currently 25% off on Steam.

After enjoying The Colonists, I decided to try out another transportation / logistics game - this. I’m currently in the first Chapter, second scenario - the Dutch Indies. Question - there are 2 choices for choosing a cargo train on this scenario. The max speed is close (25 mph to 28), but the second one has more power (66 kW to 90 ) and tractive effort (20 kN to 25).

I’m guessing the tractive effort is important if pulling cargo up a steep incline, or maybe heavy cargo - is that correct? Is there any way to evaluate how much is needed for a particular line and / or cargo load?

Building is definitely a bit clunky with the interface, but not horrible. I don’t think they gave a lot of thought to the shape of the predefined building areas in the campaign. It is a bit of a pain to put the cargo station close enough to the factory building and not have too much of a curve to the track to connect it.

From the official Wiki:

Locomotives

Locomotives are divided by their propulsion (steam, fuel, electric). Additional properties beside the common properties are:

• Power : Maximum available power

• Tractive effort : Maximum available force at low speeds

High power is needed to drive fast or carry weight, high tractive effort to set the train in motion or accelerate at low speeds. As a rule of thumb, cargo locomotives have a ratio favoring tractive effort and passenger or high-speed locomotives favoring power. It is possible to link multiple locomotives together to increase the power of a train.

Hmmm, I don’t recall this being an issue. I could maybe have a look.

Some of the campaign quests are dumb and/or counterintuitive, but overall I like it. It gives some structure to the gameplay while you’re getting a feel for the systems.

Edit: OK, I have no idea what you mean: