Treadmill entertainment

Peloton thread made me think about posting this, but in a treadmill focused fashion. I need to get some more exercise, but get bored out of my mind on a treadmill. Because my breathing is pretty rough at the moment, trying to focus to read is pretty challenging.

So I thought I’d ask what QT3’ers like to do to entertain themselves while on a treadmill.

I have a TV mounted on the wall in front of the exercise area. I sometimes watch TV shows, and sometimes play Switch games (with the joy-cons split so I can move my arms independently while walking).

Whoa,now there’s an interesting idea (with the switch controllers), not sure if there’s a rough spare oxygen left over for my brain but I may give that a try.

I usually listen to podcasts fwiw.

I watched either “low-attention required” shows that were new to me at the time like the CW superhero shows or reruns of Survivor, or I rewatched some headier stuff like The Wire, Sopranos, and Deadwood.

Wouldn’t want to go through those for the first time while exercising, but it was a perfect fit for shows I loved but might not have found time for a rewatch otherwise.

Either TV or reading here. I have a thing that hangs on the front of the treadmill that holds my reader nicely at a good level and angle. Just a plexiglass thing I ordered off Amazon.

Could you link? Not sure if it would fit mine but would like to see!

Looks like lots of different companies are making the same general thing:

https://smile.amazon.com/Compact-eReader-Treadmill-Reading-TBH-CI/dp/B005FYMS38/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=book+holder+for+treadmill&qid=1611089904&sr=8-5

I glued a small piece of window insulation to the bottom to cushion the reader and keep it from sliding.

Listen to books plus there are YouTube walking tour videos that might suit you.

You could listen to a book while watching the scenery. : )

How can you read if it’s at belly level?

When I go for a walk I like to listen to a podcast, though that’s usually when I’m walking outside. If I can’t read (such as in your situation), podcasting or watching a streaming show I’m into (or catching up on) is a good second alternative for me.

You don’t put it there, you lay it along the top and it covers the time/distance/calories - which you want. Do NOT have the clock visible, it just makes things harder, imo.

Awww, you just spoiled the idea @BennyProfane has a second set of eyeballs in his belly and is actually an alien trying to fit in here on Earth.

I always used a recumbent bike at the gym, made it easy to read while working out.

I’ve never had much luck reading while exercising. The combination of my head bouncing and the vibration of the machine make it hard to read unless using a very large font, and then it’s annoying to be constantly reaching to change the page.

That is one of the reasons I had a Netflix subscription. I watched shows/movies.

Yeah, same, even on recumbent bikes (including the one I own).

I go to easily consumable popcorn style TV. She-Ra binges are solid workout partners, but the dumb CW shows mentioned up thread are also solid.

I have no idea what idiot made that illustration, but I bet they are losing customers over it. The holder hangs just fine over the top rail.

Same here. These folks that are able to focus on a tablet even to watch TV or read must not move as much as I do. That would make me vomit by the end of exercising. The folks that are able to game while exercising, WTF. That’s like a superpower I’d love to have and missed out on.

I will say this, far focus items, like a TV several feet away at the gym, I can deal with. My head movement in relation to the distance from the viewing is tiny. If I had to watch TV right on the display shelf of my elliptical, no thanks. WAY too close with that much movement.

What kind of podcasts are you all listening to?