True Detective - HBO (2014)

Man, I feel pretty stupid for not recognizing that actor the whole time.

Whoa, I totally did. Been too long since I’ve seen The Wire I guess, did not pick up that was him.

Yeah I recognized Whigham from American Hustle, and now that Boardwalk Empire’s been brought up, I remember him there, too.

That episode 6 scene (not a spoiler, it’s just dialogue) between him and McConaughey is just spectacular though. The way he sucks on that cigarette and his eyes and vocal mannerisms are just so naturalistic, understated, and perfect.

Dingus, your job is to somehow figure out a way to get Chick to watch this show.

If the King in Yellow or Hastur actually show up, then Tom will watch it.

McConaughey’s 2012 looks more like a Barry Pepper look than anything… in fact, had I not known better, I would have just assumed it was Barry Pepper.

— Alan

Nice infographic site
http://www.wekeeptheotherbadmenfromthedoor.com/

Welp, looks like we’ve got a positive ID on the spaghetti monster. Loved the two new detectives bumbling right on past him - time is a flat circle indeed.

Did you catch Cohl’s statement about why he came back? Looks like he plans to take Ligotti’s advice seriously. “Before I do something else… Ready to tie it off.”

We still have to learn how Hart’s daughter is connected.

I’m leaning now toward she probably isn’t. I suspect a lot of the little clues and otherwise-crazy connections in the details are meant to be more like broad clues to the audience and not literal clues for the detectives to put together. Like how we’re pretty sure there was the group of guys now, but things like the barbie doll scene maybe aren’t meant to imply the daughters were somehow actually connected, it was just for the viewers.

I don’t know, the barbie doll scene matched pretty closely what we saw in the video. And Maggie made the comment about that daughter ‘stopping taking her meds’. I still think she might be connected somehow.

I agree.

A lot of the “clues” I’ve seen people bringing up seem more like a manifestation of the fondness that writers like Ellroy, Pelecanos, and Ligotti have for painting with strong strokes. Not sure that some of the “clues” are clues at all–they’re just recurring motifs.

There’s absolutely some ground to cover in episode 8, but I get the feeling that folks could be disappointed if they’re looking to see every single motif from the first 7 episodes resolved as clues to a greater truth.

I don’t necessarily disagree with triggercut or Schmidt, but it’s a weird feint to make. It’s true that one hour is not much time to try to wrap up everything and introduce the daughter as a possible victim, but it just seems odd that they would drop clues that seem to indicate nefarious goings-on with Marty’s daughter on a show that involves victimization of children and women. Then again, there’s probably going to be a lot of people asking why all these Carcosa and King in Yellow references were dropped in that didn’t go anywhere.

There’s a really interesting take from one of the writers at Daily Beast that I think is likely to be dead on.

Reggie Ledoux’s “flat circle” and “You’ll do this again” thing could sure as hell manifest again with Hart’s daughter, no? Like what remains of the 5 and the Lawnmower Man decide to teach Hart a lesson for getting too close?

This sounds great. WHEN IS HBO GO COMING TO XBOX ONE?!

Why did the lawnmower guy have to say that line??? Awful.

I’m still enjoying it as a whole but ffs! Who needed that line???

Best line of the episode?

If you were drowning, I’d throw you a barbell.

Ah-men.

I liked “Be careful what you get good at.”

Yep, that one landed.

It was heavy handed. TD is usually better than that.