True Detective - HBO (2014)

Without Fukunaga, that’s probably for the best.

I’ve been telling my wife and parents for 6 months that they should watch Season 1. They finally agreed to do it – I’m here with them at my parents’ house for the week. We get to Ep. 4 (the one with the shootout at the crack house) and they start to freak out about how it’s far too intense for them… they’ve never seen something so awful… they don’t watch things like that… etc. This is coming from people who LOVED The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and weren’t bothered by the violence in it.

So… I’m trying to decide if I should just tell them to stop. Of course, I think they’re being lame, but I also was surprised by their super negative reaction. Sure, it’s intense, but that’s part of the reason why it’s good.

How does that work?

That’s a good question and I can’t really follow the logic there. I’m not sure if it was the white supremacists and racism that set them off or the images of Rust using a needle to make himself look like a junkie… Something really set them all off, though. They’re now saying “We’ve watched 1/2 of it so we might as well watch the rest,” but I can’t help but thinking that might be a mistake.

I know there’s some bad imagery in the next episode, when they find the meth cooker, but I don’t remember what pops up besides that and the Carcosa stuff in the finale.

It seems to me as long as they know not to expect any actual Lovecraft to emerge, they’ll be okay.

-Tom

Season 3 may be a go.

Has it been two years already? I could have sworn it was just last year!

Hmm. A Milch-run True Detective would probably be pretty darn awesome. Maybe not the kind of awesome season 1 was, but awesome. Edit: “not expected to serve as showrunner”. Well that’s way less exciting.

It’s happening. HBO have enlisted Blue Ruin and Green Room director Jeremy Saulnier, who will alternate directing duties with Pizzolatto.

Season three will tell the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.

As previously announced, Oscar winner Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) will topline season three as Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas.

I’m on board with this.

Okay, I skipped the second season because of all the indications that it would be nowhere near as great as the first season, but I’m totally willing to give a third season a chance. Season 1 was some of the best television I’ve ever seen.

Season 2 suffered from a few issues.

1. Pizzolatto reading too much of his own press
  2. Rushing to write the season himself
  3. Not having a dedicated director/collaborator like he had with Fukunaga.

Hopefully, it sounds like HBO and he have learned those lessons.

Just went from “who cares?” to “on board!” in like 45 milliseconds.

Mahershala Ali I think is great casting too.

Wasn’t he one of the detectives that was interrogating Rust in season one? Or am I confusing him with another guy?

edit: no, guess not. Don’t know why I thought that.

True Detective season 2 is definitely bad, but it’s maybe the most interesting bad I’ve ever seen. Not dull and some great moments.

I’ll give True Detective season 2 credit for making a crime story set in LA feel alien and strange.

I wasn’t super impressed with either season of this, though season 1 was definitely superior, if for no other reason than slightly better casting and a more interesting setting. How many LA police prodedurals have we seen by now?

And sweet jaysus that hideous neo-country dirge folk music in season 2 was godawful. As if I needed another reason to cut myself.

We watched season one for the first time only last month and enjoyed it. I wasn’t happy with the way they played their hand at the end of the penultimate episode. “Oh and, uh, yeah: here’s your guy!” Loved the title sequence and music, and the acting was great across the board. Beautifully shot. I struggled to make out a fair bit of dialogue thanks to various characters muttering and that southern drawl (which I still really liked). For weeks my girlfriend and I couldn’t help but say “Ledoux” in the style of Rust.

I thought S1 was fantastic. S2 was… something that had Rachel McAdams in it, but nothing else going for it.