Trump supporters storm the Capitol Building

Was just about to come and post this too.

Death cult gonna death cult.

Well, they should have listened to the warnings, certainly, and had National Guard troops ready to go based on those warnings.

But it is worth noting that THIS WAS NOT A BIG CROWD by Washington DC standards. A quick Googling shows no official count for the January 6 rioters, but some estimate a crowd between 6K and 20K people. I’ve seen 15,000 bandied about here and there over the last week, even though probably fewer than a thousand actually took part in pushing past the police.

15,000 protesters is a big group, especially if they are idiotic and violent, but it is a trivial crowd compared to many protests. The “March for Our Lives” (which I attended) was 800,000 people – 40 to 50 times larger than the January 6 crowd. The Women’s March in 2017 was half a million people.

And sure, those were not violent protests, and were never likely to become violent. I can remember that in the Women’s March (which I also attended), a good chunk of the crowd turned to march down Pennsylvania Ave to protest in front of the White House, a location that had not been approved by the DC Park Police as a protest site that day. You had about 60,000 people marching in a huge wave toward the White House and they were stopped by a line of cops who told the people in the front of the column that there could not go any further… so they didn’t. They turned around and we all went home.

But some of the DC Vietnam War protests in the late 60s and early 70s were in the half-million range. And those were pretty confrontational. The Million-Man March and MLK’s March on Washington were 450K and 250K, respectively, full of people that the government had good reason to believe might become violent. And if even 1% any of those crowds had decided to storm the Capitol, they would have had two to five times the numbers of last week’s rioters.

So it wasn’t just that the people in power ignored the very real threats… it’s that pretty much no one had any reason to believe that such a small (relatively) protest was going to be that big of a deal. In 235 years of American history, no large protesting group of citizens had ever made a serious effort to storm the Capitol building. Because in 235 years we’ve never had a President instruct his followers to try and overthrow the government.

I was at the LA women’s march in 2017. It was counted at 750k, I think, though I don’t know how big at any one time. It was a shit ton of people anyway. Also totally peaceful, because we weren’t seditious fuckwads.

I do kinda want to read up on the Bonus Army now. I think they just camped out for a while but I imagine they got some folks nervous.

[lawyer-mode]If my client allegedly did such a thing, I’m sure it was for a good reason, so no impeachment.[/lawyer-mode]

also, not sure why Scooby, Velma, and Nick Fury are so so angry

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1350925869611552769/photo/1

That is just so bad. Were political cartoons always this full of labels?

They are rather common but Garrison takes it to another level, I think.

Garrison is so bad but I am amused he’s turning on the Republican party:

https://www.facebook.com/RealBenGarrisonCartoons/posts/3690439851016298

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1350919847752966144
https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1350944906399907851

The Army machine-gunned them, executed a cavalry charge to drive them across the river into Alexandria, then loaded them into railroad cars, locked them in and sent them west for days, with instructions not to let them out until they were far from Washington.

As I recall, George Patton led the cavalry charge, and Douglas MacArthur gave the orders.

That’s about the be former U of KY student (no one calls it that, it’s just UK). First off, that’s a big ass code of conduct violation. Second, it’s an embarrassment to the institution, and UK has a complex about that sort of thing even above and beyond typical state schools.

Sunshine here said there were only 15k Pele at the Trump riot… is this confirmed? I haven’t been able to see concrete estimates of attendance.

at the speech or at the Capitol bld? or did most all of them march over?

Some of the on the ground footage made it seem like a huge freaking crowd. I’m terrible at estimating crowd size though. About as bad as I am estimating square footage.

I just gotta figure someone estimated the attendance, but I’ve not seen the estimates.

Is your sentient autocorrect implying that Pele is a MAGA?

I mean, duh.

They got folks nervous enough at some point that MacArthur was sent in to clear them out.

I take that back, it appears Mac was getting in some early practice of ignoring Presidential orders when he ordered General Miles to cross the river.