Trump supporters storm the Capitol Building

Wait, this Ellis guy worked for Nunes… The same Nunes from Orange CA in the Senate Intelligence Committee that keeps hiding shit about Russia?

Ellis previously was chief counsel to Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), a staunch Trump supporter and former chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. Ellis joined the White House in 2017, when he became a lawyer on the National Security Council and in 2019 he was elevated to senior director for intelligence.

I think you mean PATRIOT Devin Nunes.

When you play the game of thrones, you win, or you die.

This tick tock is terrifying.

Well, Martin acknowledged that Hadrian’s Wall was a direct inspiration for The Wall.

The series is surprisingly English (thematically) considering it was written by an American dude.

Oh good, I have the smoldering lump of rage in my chest again. I hope these people are punished severely, especially those up top in the Capitol police that were either criminally negligent or worse. Those police on the front line stood no chance. No excuse for being that unprepared.

Lol, I love seeing these insurgents ask for pardons as if Trump cares about any of them. He might do it, but only to spite the libs.

Their entire party is just one big alliance of spite from top to bottom.

“Highlights” include insurrectionists rifling through Ted Cruz’s desk starting at 5:15; QShaman on the Senate floor at 6:18 and shortly thereafter in the VP chair and, hats off after that to lead a prayer (which disappointingly does not reference organic food); destroying Associated Press media equipment at 11:10

That Washington Post video does a pretty good job of trying to capture how it all unfolded, which I still find confusing. The Post also did a podcast trying to unravel the sequence of events and the police response, including some interviews with the now-former head of Capitol Police and some of the officers as well as photographers, reporters, and Congress folk who were at the scene:

Four hours of insurrection - The Washington Post

If that’s paywalled, Radiolab talked to those reporters and rebroadcast excerpts:

Thought that WP gave a very good overview of the (early) timeline. My take-aways:

1. Capitol Police were horrendously unprepared and clearly not expecting an actual attempt to breach the Captiol.
  2. When things broke down, there was no clear Plan B for how to deal with the situation. This is most clearly shown by how multiple times single officers were in the line of fire, having to try and control situations on their own.
  3. Elements in the crowd were out for blood, even if they were not (really) out to kill. Pence or Pelosi might have survived if they had fallen into the hands of the crowd, but it would have been violent and could easily (and IMO likely) have escalated.
  4. There was probably no real organization or master mind behind any of the insurrectionist groups/mobs - and if there were, they were incompetent. If there had been, there is no way this wouldn’t have turned into a far bigger tragedy. It is quite clear that there are several points where this could easily have done so, including several situations were a concerted push by violent protesters would have led to it. If there had been any kind of organized group with a prepared plan of attack (or even just one or two), they would have succeeded and more people would have been injured - 100% certain. The Capitol Police response was that bad.
  5. Just dumb luck that this didn’t end up much worse.

If you really want to know, A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry has a couple series delving into the “historical” inspirations for AGoT. My takeaway is the inspiration from common conceptions of history is stronger than actual history itself. It’s a military historian, so obviously he focuses there. But in the ancient world that pretty much covered a wide swath of the culture and political landscape.

They should have been better prepared. They knew there would be thousands at the rally. Better to over-prepare.

The plan B in part relied on Trump actually doing something rather than watch it on TV and crow about it.

I’m not convinced that Pence or Pelosi would have survived. Or someone like AOC, for that matter. Probably better than even odds that they would have survived, but some of those rioters really are crazy. If a guy can drive a car into a crowd in Charlottesville, a similar guy could cut a throat in the Capitol.

I picture a small group surrounding Pelosi. Trying to decide what to do. And some nutcase outside the group swings a baseball bat at her head.

The weird thing about this is that surely there is a standing “Plan B”. Surely one of the core missions of the Capitol Police is to defend the Capitol against unexpected attack (otherwise you’d have National Guard permanently stationed).

I think this is generally right, though point 1 needs more explanation (why didn’t they anticipate things better, especially in light of the intelligence they seem to have been given); and I also think we will find evidence of politicians / ‘official’ Republican groups encouraging / funding people to attend, repeating the lies about a stolen election, and generally trying to gin up an incident of some kind to delay the certification.

Or just someone gets startled like Rittenhouse and sparks the bloodshed.

impressed to see a public news service do this so completely and fast

In several of these videos you can see examples of the dangerous but lower-profile insurgents who have so far not been identified. There were a lot of bluster and bumbling true believers and inciters who showed their faces and self-incriminated for the socials, and those will be the easiest to ID and prosecute. But the more careful ones who were coordinated and hid their faces (like the ones who left pipe bombs) are less likely to be found and prosecuted just because of all the low-hanging fruitcakes.