UFC - General Thread

I backed up the video to right before Couture went down and counted the punches Lesnar threw whilte Couture was on the ground. I counted 40. Damn.

Don Anjos sure wasn’t expecting that uppercut. There’s something in me that finds it really amusing when a dedicated jitsu guy gets whacked hard in the face.

Well damn. Seems like a major management shitstorm has gone down with the UFC and Dana White on one side and fighters associated with the American Kickboxing Academy on the other side. Jon Fitch, the guy who took five rounds of punishment from GSP a couple months back was cut after he refused, with his managements backing, to sign away his likeness rights forever for the new UFC video game. When negotiations stalled, the UFC blacklisted the entire camp, unless they ditch their management and sign the licensing contract.

Along with Fitch, Christian Wellisch and Marcus Aurelio have been dumped. Josh Koscheck and Cain Velasquez are still undecided, and Mike Swick decided to kiss Dana’s ring.

I’m not convinced that Dana White’s being reasonable about this, if Fitch’s story is correct.

Signing away lifetime rights to your likeness, with no provisions to pay your estate after you’re gone, is really a bad idea if the sport becomes the success White wants it to be. White came off as petulant in his quotes.

But now Fitch is back in. Back in the pre-net days, the story would have been resolved before press time.

Dana White definitely came across as a dick, taking a reasonable bargaining position so personally. It’s certainly reasonable to not want to sign away your brand likeness forever, especially if they’re not being offered royalties or meaningful compensation beyond their paid fights.

Bump

Just a reminder, UFC - Fight for the Troops is on live, free tonight on Spike. Kos v. Yoshida main card, could be an interesting fight. The rest of it looks pretty lackluster, but hey, live, free fights. I’ll take it.

HOLY SHIT.

Spoilers.
Why the hell did that guy not tap?!?!? That was stupid as hell. then they go and show it in slow-mo replay repeatedly.

Not for the squeemish:

If the arm made you queasy, how about Corey Hill’s leg breaking in the prelims? This is not a retouched photo:

MMA is not a sport for wimps.

Yeah I caught that as well. Gnarly.

I actually have to feel some sympathy for the guy who didn’t tap though. About 5 years ago right when I was first getting into BJJ I tried to pull a hitchhiker out of a pretty locked-in armbar and the guy didn’t let go and I heard something that sounded like celery being torn in half coming from the inside of the elbow joint. Tore my UCL in two. I couldn’t train for like 3-4 months and my joint is still a little loose. Stupid. But! I didn’t know better at the time, this guy should have.

He is also has very poor punching technique, using only his arms when power in punching comes from the body. He also holds his chin up in the air. He really needs to learn some basics.

Heard about it second hand, but did some guy really absorb 51 knees in 104 seconds?

I didn’t count, but yes. One guy didn’t know how to get out of a muay thai clinch and ended up taking a ton of knees to the head until the referee stopped the fight. Most of them he blocked on his forearms, but still.

Rich Franklin?

I have never, ever seen an egg so large on another human being’s head in my life. I swear it looked like his frontal lobe was so swollen that the man was going to suffer from permanent brain damage.

Go watch the Sakuraba v. Arona fight from the Pride 2005 GP. Hold on a sec…

About 3 minutes in.

One thing I don’t miss from Pride/Japanese MMA is letting fighters take ridiculously brutal amounts of punishment before a ref stops a fight. Arona easily threw 100-200 knees to the head of Saku over the course of the fight, and in a downed position no less. I remember watching the fight live and me and all my friends were yelling for the fight to be stopped in the first round.

LOL, very nice!

Who else is pumped for this card tonight? Should be some great matches.

My predictions:

Forest Griffin by some kind of submission, we’ll say … rear naked choke in the 2nd round.

Antonio Noguiera by unanimous decision.

Wanderlei" Butt Ugly" Silva by knockout due to probably a knee in the first.

God I hope so.

Hope there was no money put on these predictions.

Heh, I’d have picked close to the same although I did think if Rampage wasn’t a complete mess he’d win that fight. He’s a vastly different fighter than when they first met, and Silva isn’t the same guy he was. Pretty brutal shot.

Really did not see Mir handling Nog like that. I think the punishment Nog has taken is catching up to him.

Do they give Rampage the title shot right away? I know Machida if he wins over Alves is the logical choice, but a main event of Evans/Machida is not going to be much of a seller. I think Rampage/Evans has possibility to be interesting.

Jesus was I wrong. But what great, upset fights!

I can’t wait to see Mir get pummeled by Lesnar.