Ultimate Star Trek collection! A bargain at $2500.00!

I kid you not

Good God those are expensive. I’ve often thought about getting the DS9 box sets but I could never bring myself to spend $700 on a TV series that I didn’t like that much.

I would totally buy that, but then I would have no choice but to shoot myself in the head.

Also, thank God Amazon’s 1-Click ordering cuts out once you get above a certain price level.

This is one of things that really appeals to the completist in me, except that another movie/TV series will come out soon, rendering my “complete collection” pointless. Plus, that’s an insane amount of money to spend on some DVDs. I can never understand how they justify charging so much for the TV series DVDs. I’ve had the ST:TNG DVDs on my wishlist for 3 years, but $112 a series still doesn’t sound reasonable. Even with inflation ;)

Amazon once put up a complete Criterion Collection of DVD movies. 241 movies, $5,250. With free shipping!

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14780

For $2500, Shatner better drop them off at my house…

Dude, someone on this forum BOUGHT IT.

I guess sci-fi fans are willing to pay more for DVD sets since this isn’t that high(talking about the per season costs). Stuff like X-files seasons and Babylon 5 go for like $80 too.

Dude, someone on this forum BOUGHT IT.[/quote]

Believe me, if I could have justified it to my wife/banker/credit company, I would have bought it too.

Umm…

Though I did get them for about $US73 each. Even so, the first few days were spent staring at them going “What have I done?” The next few days were spent watching them with the wife. All good.

I really like that packaging. I think I’d get more entertainment from just staring at the boxes than actually watching the episodes.

This is one of those things where buying used is the Way.

I got a reasonably current (1993) full set of Britannicas for $5 (!), and an unabridged, well-kept set of the Britannica great books for $150.

That’s about $3,000 worth of grade-A musty pretension for the price of a couple of seasons of the latest in-vogue Japanese cartoon smut. I even bought faux-Victorian MDF shelving in which to house them and painted my walls the color of bleached peas, inspired by the color of the arsenic-soaked wallpaper that killed Napoleon. Now I sit by the crackling fireplace and soak in the radiant glory of the Western Canon, the sum of all human knowledge, sat on a shelf behind me unlikely to ever get read, while I play Puzzle Pirates.

Some fans. I am convinced that it’s poor pricing policy, though. I’ve bought all the Joss Whedon TV series on DVD, mostly new, because they were reasonably priced. I have bought almost no Star Trek and only a bit of B5, and mostly used in both cases.

Now I sit by the crackling fireplace and soak in the radiant glory of the Western Canon, the sum of all human knowledge, sat on a shelf behind me unlikely to ever get read, while I play Puzzle Pirates.

Unfortunately, the sum of all human knowledge has quintupled since 1993.

Get them used off of Ebay or something. Or buy the “Hong Kong” version which I think is all seasons for $200.

Pav, I would have totally bought it.

And loving it.

How far have you made it through the whole set?

How far have you made it through the whole set?[/quote]

Closing in on half, not including the stuff that’s come out since the set. I hope to make some more headway during the holidays, when I have time to watch more movies. It was kind of a silly purchase, but I don’t regret doing it.

deepdiscountdvd has seasons 1-7 at $315 now. since my original plan was to save up for just the last three seasons at 100 bucks a pop, this new price was really awesome. whoever wanted tng, it also has seasons 1-7 at that price.