Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta

I have a key to give away, if anyone would like it.

I’d love to try it out Frank, if you haven’t given it away yet.

It’s yours! Send me a PM and I will send it to you when I get home from work.

I know this isn’t the place and I know there’s an Uncharted 1 thread out there somewhere, but damn it I couldn’t find it and this is killing me: Did anyone find the gunfights in Uncharted 1 just ungodly annoying? After playing some of the beta and enjoying it I decided I’d go back to the first game and see if I could push through whatever it was that had forced me to stop in the first place. Sadly, I now recall that the block was every single, inevitable, predictable, once every three seconds goddamn gunfight. And they don’t seem to be thinning out. I want to love this game because of the praise and the likable characters and the decent plot and the colorful setting and the excellent environment exploration, but I find myself consistently restarting every encounter at least twice. Either I dove into cover a little too far forward or I couldn’t spot the thug sniping me with his AK-47 from fifty yards away or I finally ran out of ammo because headshots are a total bitch to pull off with this controller. Please tell me I’m not just crazy. Or direct me to the Uncharted thread where someone has already made this exact complaint.

Well ferrris, there’s this thread, which starts really discussing the game on page 2, so that’s what I linked to.

And then later, there’s this thread, which has further discussion on the game. As you’ll be able to see from those two threads, it’s a fairly controversial game, though the consensus seems to have settled over time that it’s a great game.

I’m also still trying to get through it myself, and I agree with you 100%. I love the charming cutscenes and dialog, and colorful setting and environment exploration too, but there’s not nearly enough of it. 90% of the game seems to be spent in gunfights. So I’m kind of amazed that people only talk about that 10% of the game when they’re usually reminiscing about Uncharted. No one looks back and says “hey remember when you crouch behind that wall, and then got up and shot someone in the head, but then you couldn’t get the next guy in the head, and he threw a grenade, and you dodged behind another wall, and then you shot him in the leg three times with the 92FS pistol and he went down? Remember that? Man, that was sweet.”

Of course, that has already happened a zillion times in this game already. I’m actually kind of surprised at the pacing of Uncharted myself right now. At least earlier in the game, they spaced out more non-combat things to do after every combat sequence. But at the stage I’m at in the game (having reached the Sanctuary, chapter 19, I believe?), I’ll reach a place where there is wave after wave of enemy, and if I die in the last wave, I have to start over from the very beginning (seriously, to have Infamous’ wonderful checkpoint system which saved after every enemy wave!), only to go to the next room and find yet another combat sequence with wave after wave of enemies. It’s just so packed with combat. I’m tempted to say this game has more combat than Gears of War, but that wouldn’t be fair because I haven’t played very far into Gears, and for all I know Gears also has this much combat.

Oh God, no. Please don’t tell me that. I can barely stand it at Chapter 9. My drive to finish this is flat-lining.

Have you played Infamous yet? That helped me out a LOT with the PS3 controller problem. The problem in games like Uncharted and other PS2/PS3 shooters is that you usually have limited ammo, and not getting headshots and missing costs you a lot. If you have to go pick up more ammo and expose yourself to gunfire, it hurts. But in Infamous, you have infinite ammo for your pistol (pistol, lightning bolt, whatever they call it). So I got much, much better at using the PS3 controller to aim, since infinite ammo allowed me to practice a LOT without penalty. I used to be terrible at it before I played Infamous, but now I’m at least competent at getting quite a few headshots in Uncharted.

It’s still much harder to fine tune than a 360 controller, but I’m much better attuned to the small amount of adjustments I need to make with my thumb without overcompensating and going too far. So as a result, I can get a lot of headshots now. That makes the fights a lot shorter in this game, and helps me power through some of these combat sections.

I wish I had better news for you though. Hopefully it’ll get better after Chapter 19. Maybe after the Sanctuary they’ll stop having these constant fight sequences without breaks.

I loved the gunplay in Uncharted. The key to it for me was to keep moving- unlike a lot of other stop-and-pop games where it feels like the enemies only come from one direction, in Uncharted they come from all sides so you can’t just hunker down in front one piece of cover. The other key aspect was learning the melee system which the tutorials don’t highlight enough. There are a lot of melee moves, many of them context based, that can help you dispatch enemies quicker than just using weapons.

The next phase of the Uncharted 2 beta has opened up for those who pre-order the game through Gamestop (and via other means). Apparently if you don’t want to buy through gamestop you can just pre-order the game online, get the code via email and cancel your order. Otherwise I believe the beta goes open public to all in 2 weeks.

This beta features dethmatch, objectives, co-op, a horde-type mode, a machinima green screen mode, match recordings and screen shot support.

I’ve got lots of free time this weekend so if anyone is interested I’ll be up for some matches.

Whoa, that sounds serious …

I hadn’t even heard about the green screen thingy before. Pretty interesting.

Soo don’t do this because apparently they have already run out of codes. They still have them in stores though but you need to drop $5. Also there will be lots of giveaways coming soon.

Me and two buddies played the hell out of the first beta and decided that we would be playing a lot of the final release MP (Uncharted is also one of my favorite games of the last few years)…but I didn’t know about half these modes. They sound awesome! Horde mode? check. Green screen mode? LOVE IT. Too cool. I wonder if Amazon preorders get in?

here’s something about the machinima/green screen mode:

Pretty cool … I’m impressed.

Anyone who wants in keep your eye on this:

http://twitter.com/SonyPlayStation

go now.

What exactly does co-op mean here? Co-op in the story campaign, co-op in specific missions or just the Horde mode type thing?

Co-op is apparently it’s own mode without any story. It kind of reminds me of Terrorist Hunt from the R6 series; you get thrown onto a map with your friends and have to kill all the bad guys. In addition to that, there are some little bits of co-op navigation that you have to do. Lifting one another over barriers and the like. The co-op was pretty underwhelming.

IGN reviewposted, whatever it’s worth.

From the review’s alternate take:

Admittedly, I think I set my expectations a little too high. The reappearance of rooms filling with waves and wave of baddies was annoying, the story felt a bit too familiar at times, and the fact that I would’ve liked to have seen some new Trophies dampened my spirits a bit, but there’s no denying this is one of the best games on the PlayStation 3.

Hmmm. Sounds like those that loved the first one will also love this one, and those few of us who thought the game had way too much fighting and just wanted to get to the next part of the story will be just as annoyed this time around.

I can’t lose, I would be happy either way.