Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Eh you don’t really, I thought that one was pretty weak.

3’s got a lot to love, though the story is arguably a bit weaker. In retrospect I actually see them as one two-part game. I just hate the beginning of 3, it’s very much a “Han shot first” thing that bugged me.

Not a lot of love for this series here, it seems. Reviews are out, positive as expected. Bunch of perfect ratings, including from Giant Bomb and GameSpot.

I’ll play it for sure. But I’ve only played through 1 and 2 and the first quarter, maybe first half of 3. So I still need to go back and make my way through that first. Just in case there’s any developments in 3 that are relevant to Nathan and Elena’s relationship. Or to find out if Elena even makes an appearance in 3. (Don’t tell me!)

Can’t wait to play the game!

I want to play this, although I find the media’s love with this cinematic popcorn shooters a bit overblown, but I will wait for the neo version, hopefully it will get announced sometime soon already, I guess e3 ?

Yes! Following 2, I thought it was far less coherent and exciting. The story and the whole ending piece were just meh, in my opinion.

I skipped the first one, played the second (which I enjoyed), and never finished 3. I might play 4 as I hear the scenery in the game is breathtaking.

I’ve never played any of them, since the PS4 is my first Playstation.

I’m currently playing the Drake Collection to see what all the fuss is about, and I’m really hoping I’m almost through the first game - as it’s painful.

I hear number 2 is better so I’ll try that as well, then I’ll wait for all the initial over-inflated scores to die down on 4, and see what this thread thinks before making a purchasing decision. Though I guess there’s not much else big budget exclusive to PS4 so will probably buy it at some point anyway.

It’ll be visually stunning.

I played for about 4 hours last night and can confirm its stunning, visual status. It is also a marked step up in terms of drama and pacing. There is far more going on in terms of stakes and the game quite expertly sets the table by taking the time to flesh out the characters and their history together.

I’m super pumped for this, and my copy arrives tomorrow from Amazon (I assume, I haven’t checked the tracking but it should be with 2 day shipping). I’d be more excited but for Stellaris, but it will be fun to have something I can lean into when I need a break from conquering the galaxy. I’m pleased as a peach that so many folks are so happy with how it turned out; The Last of Us (same team, sounds like) is one of my favorite games of all time, and I loved Uncharted 2 and 3 (I never did get around to playing U1 … and I never got around to playing U1-3 in the collection I picked up with my PS4, now that I think of it…)

My run was under 6 hours. I think there are 22 chapters, if that helps, and I didn’t really like it either.

But yeah, I picked up the Drake collection because I’m bad at managing my money, and I’ll probably pick up Uncharted 4 once I finish up the first three in a week or so. Even if I never get into the gameplay, I’m kind of in the mood for what will be, worst case scenario, at least a tech-demo-spectacle. I’m already impressed by the remastered version of Uncharted 2, so I’m looking forward to getting to the fourth.

waves mine own copy around

Haven’t started yet, sorry.

Edit: Also I need to play 3 first.

Can I say that I love the trophies in this game?

Ludonarrative Dissonance - Kill 1000 enemies
Stage Fright - Stand still for 30 seconds*

*That’s a callback to the E3 demo glitch.

Oh, Naughty Dog, why do you insist on making this franchise a shooter? Everything about this game is great until you get to a combat arena and then all the life is sucked out of it.

Up to Chapter 6 so far and having a blast. This game really solidifies what I didn’t like about Rise of the Tomb Raider and makes me not feel as bad for not finishing it despite absolutely loving the first. Uncharted 4 is in a whole other league. The third game left me pretty cold, but so far it seems like they learned from their mistakes…fingers crossed. I think I’ll look up a recap of the first three games though. There is some fan service and I only vaguely remember the other games.

I’m surprised so many people were not that fond of the 3rd Uncharted game.

I agree that it wasn’t as strong as 2 but it presented an interesting narrative. Namely, it explored the concept taking Drake’s adventure and treasure-hunting obsession to its dark conclusion. It showed how the obsession pushed away and endangered those he loved, how the recklessness imperiled Drake’s psyche, well-being, and relationships. In a way it showed the limits and sad truths hiding behind an “Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die” attitude.

There was also one of the most touching and real emotional moments ever portrayed in a videogame: the moment when Drake rests his head on the lap of Elena out of pure exhaustion and a desperate need for help.

I am jealous of everyone who is playing 4 since I don’t own a PS4. Enjoy!

-Todd

I think there was a bit of a hangover for Uncharted 3, because the 2nd installment was so well received and a significant improvement over the 1st, while the 3rd initially looked like more of the same and seemed a bit uninspired.

But while initial enthusiasm may have been muted, I think most people who stuck with the story were really impressed - it’s a great game, on par with the 2nd, if not even better. The set pieces were amazing, and there weren’t some of the annoyances of the 2nd, like the final boss.

And that pretty much sums it up for me.