Underworld Ascendant brought to you by Zombie Looking Glass

Oh wow. This is just awful. Am I the only one?

Maybe not the only one, but I disagree. I think it looks good.

Another vote for thinking it looks really good here. I especially like the backdrops. Dat lava flow. Textures look nice in a bit of a unique way as well. I’m eager to see how it all animates.

I love how this looks. Love. It.

This sort of stylized look has two advantages. First, it ages really well. Secondly, it’s very easy on the hardware, so they could port to consoles, etc.

I don’t like the art style in the screens either but it could look better in motion. I’ll reserve judgement until I see some gameplay.

I’m optimistic. If the art direction is solid and consistent–and it appears it will be–something like this could be very effective. If they’re going for a certain look, and the execute it well and thoughtfully, I think it’ll show.

I loved the shots earlier in the thread. But I have to admit, I don’t like these new screenshots. It reminds me too much of Warcraft 3/World of Warcraft, whose art direction I hate. That lava especially reminds me of that look.

I hated WoW’s look for the first year or so, from beta into live, but then it sort of grew on me. Not that I actually like the overall look as one I’d choose, but the art direction was consistent, clear, and intentional. So, if they can do that, I can live with this style for sure.

My thoughts exactly, though the aliasing is also super rough (Especially considering these are from the developer, which usually means bullshots). Here are the high-res versions of them instead of stamps.

https://underworldascendant.com/images/news/UAscreenshot03.jpg

https://underworldascendant.com/images/news/UAscreenshot02.jpg

I like the art style, but I don’t care for those screenshots. Looks like someone just shoved a bunch of random assets together.

Im not crazy about those screenshots either - they are extremely busy. I am not a fan of the art style either. I do hope, as others have said, that it looks different in motion.

The nicest thing I can say about the new art style is that the animations better be fantastic. That might salvage it.

I love that art style, however it looks more like someone is attempting a reboot of “Witchaven”.
That’s just what those last images brought to my mind instantly; I’m not seriously suggesting a reboot of Witchaven.

Actually that’s a good catch, it does feel more Witchaven-y than Ultima Underworld-y. And we already had a reboot of Witchaven. It was called Dark Messiah of Might and Magic!

I like it! Really looking forward to seeing the new style in motion.

New Underworld Ascendant gameplay from PAX featuring Warren Spector and Paul Neurath.

Yeah, definitely digging the environmental art style and colour palette.

Looks awesome! I thought the doors looked strange… maybe a bit too shiny? I was in the middle of thinking that when the first video went on about how accurate they door texture was to the piece of wood they were looking at.

But overall, I can’t wait for this.

Back from the darkness. We have been heads down for about a year–big news today
UA gets a publisher 505 games!
New video, screens and stuff.

Even a early demo if you are a backer up on steam!
Check it out.