Unity of Command II - this time it's 3d

Cool, good to hear!

I guess I need to revisit this then!

Update: I did start replaying this this morning. Presumably there is a tutorial I did last time that I skipped this time, so this complaint is partially my fault. BUT, the discoverability of this UI is terrible. Little buttons hide big features, some big features don’t have buttons at all and are just controlled by the mouse wheel(supply allotment). I think I’m over the hump now after about 3 failed campaign starts on Normal. Got through the first scenario now and took all the objectives on time.

My mouse wheel sucks so I hate all UIs that use it. Allocating supply depots was one of the most finicky things. I think there’s a button or key that I started using. Same with picking between special attacks.

So this is on sale and it looks interesting. I’ve heard it maintains fun and approachability while still retaining depth. Would y’all recommend it to someone who might not have the patience he once did for games like this but is still interested in them?

I think you’d enjoy the game up to a point. Unless they rebalanced things there were some scenarios that may need replaying to do well enough to win. I forget which one it was but the time line was fairly tight and there were quite a few units and when I just barely lost I didn’t have it in me to continue. Maybe you’ll do better than I did - but just keep that in mind.

Actually Tim James said a feature was added that may help with the issue I mentioned.

Definitely. I’m easily frustrated in general but UofC2 did not frustrate me.

I went back to this a few weeks back and I lost because of being one turn short of the primary objective on Sicily. I have a vivid memory of the first time I played the game losing Sicily by one turn. So yeah, that one gets me. And ultimately, some of those early scenario gotchas are what made me quit playing again.

the base UoC2 campaign is MUCH improved over the first UoC. UoC2 is challenging but not impossible.

The UoC2 DLC is hit or miss. I’m stuck on the Low Countries mission in Blitzkrieg DLC and its very puzzly. if you don’t get certain steps done by certain turns, you’re toast due to the opposing reinforcements.

Two thumbs up for UoC2. Some caution on the DLC.

Thanks for the answers so far. My final question: is the campaign truly dynamic, as it says on the store page?

Buy it You F#@$!11!

I just can’t use the F word, too strong for me. It’s only $10

Branching with carried over units. Depending on success you have choices for which branch to take. It can take a lot of save file manipulation to see all the maps and missions.

Hypothetical review of the Desert Rats DLC from an entitled gamer:

This DLC is a ripoff. They only give you half the units that you’d normally get, so it should be half price.

I thought it had some fun theming and I enjoyed it overall, but the low number of units means it’s a little more puzzley than usual. Often you’d drive into the fog of war and not find a single enemy, so it kind of threw me off.

The new Kursk DLC is jam packed with content. The Soviet campaign is a nice give and take against the elite German armor. You have to destroy them without getting your valuable units surrounded and killed.

It also includes a German campaign that starts out with a couple brutal missions where I’m not sure you can actually save all your best units, especially if you want to go down the ahistorical track. The rest of the campaign is the usual satisfying variety of different challenges.

I liked this one! But wow this game is addictive.

I’m tempted to go back to this every now and then, especially with interesting looking DLC campaigns. But the couple times I’ve started a new playthrough I end up getting so frustrated with the tight turn limits.

I forgot to mention I put the German Kursk campaign on easy to get through it faster. It further extends the turn limits and gives you a leg up, but it’s the same challenge in the end.