Unpopular film opinions

I’m not completely sure how unpopular that opinion is but I agree with it and it goes double for Tom Cruise for me. Specifically in his ‘batshit insane’ kind of person-ness. But even before that his overly manic performances always drove me nuts.

Glad to see some unpopular love for The Postman and to continue in a Kevin Costner vein I love Dances With Wolves. (Yes, I’m aware that it won academy awards and is generally a popular choice but I think it’s emblematic of the sort of movie that gets short shrift around here so I’m deeming it unpopular by QT3 hipster standards.) Also I think Open Range is a generally under appreciated Western but I’m not completely certain how unpopular that is here or elsewhere.

Armageddon is an enjoyable movie.

Elf is a really stupid, bad movie. This never goes over well when I mention it to a female.

It’s fashionable to dislike Shrek? I always thought everyone loved Shrek. I only saw the first one, and I didn’t understand what the big deal was.

Pixar movies are boring, preachy and soulless. Their animation technique is great, but their style and design is insipid.

I never really understood this personally.

If my car mechanic is the biggest asshole ever and beats his wife every day, i don’t care as long as he is a great mechanic.

If tom cruise/mel gibson are complete religious extremists and have insane beliefs even by their standards, i don’t care as long as their movies are enjoyable and don’t suffer from their insanity.

As long as they keep their personal life personal and it doesn’t affect their work, who cares? If you didn’t watch any movie or sporting event that prominently featured someone of… lesser character, you really wouldn’t be able to watch much of anything. Good luck finding a lawyer as well if you ever need one…

Natural Born Killers is the best thing any of the people involved ever did.

The Godfather Part 2 is too long, too boring, and only has a few good scenes. It is definitely not better than the first one.

Memento is just plain boring, and never rises above its gimmick.

Avatar is a terrific, pulpy sci-fi adventure movie.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is too quirky for it’s own good, and most of the performances are too mannered for me to take them seriously.

There are so many ways I disagree with this ;).

J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek was a terrible, brain-dead movie.

I’ll give you this with the exceptions of Downey, who’s done some good lead work since NBK, and Tommy Lee Jones, who excelled in No Country for Old Men.

I don’t dig Pixar movies.
I thought The Girl Next Door was better than Risky Business
I thought the movie Friday Night Lights should have been nominated for a ton of Oscars.
I prefer Alien 3 to Aliens
I don’t like Out of Africa

I prefer the Godfather movies in the box set where everything is recut into chronological order… just kidding.

I agree that Open Range is under appreciated
I think Clint Eastwood is a bad director
I like Presumed Innocent
I got a few kicks out of Very Bad Things.
I wish they would restore and release a blu-ray version of Peckinpah’s Cross of Iron.
Except for Greedo shooting first, I think I prefer the digitally enhanced A New Hope over the original.

What is WRONG with you?

A Christmas Story is a horrible, cruel, unfunny film.

Disney animated movies are manipulative crap.

A Knight’s Tale is completely awesome, start to finish.

Aside from being dead inside, I just find them to be a little too cartoony for my taste. I know there is content there for the adults, but I don’t dig watching animated movies most of the time and Pixar films, which are some of the best animated movies I’ve seen, are still animated movies geared toward kids. So I tend to tune out a bit.

I don’t hate Finding Nemo, but I definitely don’t see why it gets so much love.

edit: I enjoyed The Order more than I did The Exorcist.
edit 2: I hated Conan the Barbarian

Possibly over the age of 14?

No exceptions, no prisoners, no mercy.

I think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, by subverting the traditional superhero comic approach to mythical archetypes, weakens and in many ways defeat Batman as an effective hero character.

In Batman Begins, the villain comes out of nowhere while there is no antagonist in The Dark Knight. Both undermine the Batman character by not casting him in opposition to an equally colourful, driven and strong counterpoint.

Plus, they have none of the sense of humour or absurdity that made Moore, Miller & Morrison’s respective interpretations of the Batman mythos (which both the movies draw heavily upon) so subtle and nuanced.

I also think Inception is the first Nolan film that managed to keep me interested all the way through, despite essentially being a collection of clever storytelling tropes made to fit each other in the form of a plot.

I submit into evidence The Incredibles, a movie that’s wasted on children.

Less arguing about the unpopular opinions of others and more stating your own unpopular opinions.

The new Batman movies are too long and terribly boring.

Fight Club is boring and awful and I do not understand why people love it so.

Galaxy Quest is better than any Star Trek movie out there!